January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just had a thought. The clubs public stance on only signing the right player and Poch being very specific when picking that player leading to a smaller pool to choose from. Good in threory and bad in practice? After all if teams know we are hugely selective and go for one of their players the price will automatically get jacked up.

Maybe the club would have been better off not saying anything regarding its specific requirements for talent. Chances are it'll cost us more for a player than if Leicester for example were also looking at them

Good point.

The stadium signifies ambition if and only if its increased revenues are put back into the squad.

The stuff people say about Woolwich struggling with the debt service in succeeding years from their move are absolute bollocks. Stan Kroenke was siphoning hefty profits out of the club all along the way, the most vocally angry fans that we love to laugh at were correct to the letter, and if ENIC's plan is to operate Spurs in the same personally lucrative fashion we ought to raise twice as much hell.

The thought of Tottenham Hotspur as a billionaire's personal cookie jar sickens me, and I'm always a little perplexed why I don't see that same sensitivity from some other folks on this board.

Bootlicking the capital owners is not what loyalty to club means, in my view.
Some very fair points. Time will tell....

Lost me at "Poch is the problem"

Yeah one of the best mangers we have had in recent history is a problem

There's a world of difference between being THE problem and having a problem...or blind spot if you will. No need to rehash all the reasons Poch is a God amongst men for all of us, but one major one has been his ability to create cohesion within the squad. And by extension overperform, to insane levels, with that squad compared to transfer fees and wages. Clearly, he's not THE problem, but he could have a problem with being too picky, as has been discussed here the past few weeks. Personally, I'd prefer him eering on the side of too picky, rather than getting too loose-goosy with what he adds to the squad as a kneejerk to injuries, given what we've achieved with the current approach, but that's as subjective as it gets.

Just look at the James rumours. A fair few sounded (very) positive, but plenty have been lining up to question parts of his game, and to claim Eriksen and Son are better. If we're linked to a player who has lit up a WC, generally been spectacular for his national team, been sensational in a top 8ish European league, then top 5 league, getting a move to one top 3 teams in the World, then getting a move to another mammoth of a club despite the Real stay not working out, and there's any kind of meeeeeeeehhhhhh feeling towards that potential deal, then it speaks volumes about what it would really take to improve our starting 11.

But we should improve the depth of our squad. Sure, but we already have the squad filled to registration capacity. Or had before Dembele going. It's the easiest thing ever to knock N'Koudou from behind a keyboard. I noted how Winks and Jan were going out of their way post-match to praise him. What do we really know about why he hasn't quite gotten to where he could truly knock on the door of grabbing a starting berth? It seems, he's well-liked in the squad, and knowing Poch there zero chance he would still be here, be in our PL registration squad and getting game time, if he wasn't working his socks off to be ready, if and when his opportunity comes around. Could we get someone in to take his squad spot that would add 5-10-15-20% in quality? Probably yeah. But anyone sitting behind a monitor claiming to know better than Poch out on the training field and hanging around the squad, whether it's worth trading whatever that quality increase is, for someone who's an unknown factor in terms of the social and footballing makeup of the squad...they're kidding themselves imho.

I do think that we 100% have to replace Dembele, because it's left a free non-HG spot and we need the numbers. I'll be shouting what the fuck is happening with the best of you, if we don't. As for any other shake-ups by moving people on to improve, I'm trusting Poch unconditionally. He's fucking earned it.

Preach hermano, preach.

I'll be gutted to see Toby and Eriksen move on, or Dele have his head turned, or Pochettino lose patience and head off.

If Levy and Enic sell up I'll be like

giphy.gif

I got pelters on here for saying that Harry Kane is far more a Tottenham man than Daniel Levy can ever be, can you imagine that?

The Cult of the Chairman, I just don't even begin to get it

And that’s the problem among certain fans....say Eriksen wants out. He’s still Spurs to you....if Kane went to Real Madrid, it’s poor Harry, he deserved medals.

When they choose to pull on another shirt, they are fuck all to me anymore.
Some people chased Bale around for a few years, cry wanking every time Real were on telly. You can do that with Kane if he leaves....I’ll be enjoying all the tales and experiences about the new Tottenham ground.
That Levy built.

A couple of thoughts of not seen posted although I've skimmed a few pages so sorry if I've missed you out. Apologies for length and for not quoting and slagging anyone off. Erm... your all pricks? Right I'll start

Firstly, does anyone think we could see a reversal of fortunes directly due to our lack of movement in the transfer market?

Take Odoi's situation. Is it totally beyond the realms of possibility to think that when the next type of situation arises where a young British talent has an opportunity to potentially leave and become a starter for a big team that we might be top of their list?

I wander if we made it clear that we was after Odoi whether he would decide to run his contract down and join us early for a full pre season rather than go to Germany or stay with those horrible things ?

As a young player I'd look at the philosophy, staff and facilities at Tottenham and think to myself that if a club like this wants me they're going to try make me the best I can be and if I stay mentally focused they'll stick with me through poor form.

Secondly , as were well stocked in cb's in comparison to other positions currently and , ,given how important the next 2-3 CM signings may be depending on whether Eriksen leaves, might it not be better in the short term to look at bringing in our next CB target and to use a 3cb formation until the rest of the squad is fit enough to change up?

Preach hermano, preach.

I'll be gutted to see Toby and Eriksen move on, or Dele have his head turned, or Pochettino lose patience and head off.

If Levy and Enic sell up I'll be like

giphy.gif

I got pelters on here for saying that Harry Kane is far more a Tottenham man than Daniel Levy can ever be, can you imagine that?

The Cult of the Chairman, I just don't even begin to get it
I was thinking the same. Some are fine with the players being abused or criticised, but any criticism of the chairman or owners & they get angry. Naturally more protective of the chairmen & owners than the manager & actual team. Each to their own I guess. Some have the spurs calender with a different player for each month. Others have 1 with levy in different poses & joe's yacht in different oceans.

There's a world of difference between being THE problem and having a problem...or blind spot if you will. No need to rehash all the reasons Poch is a God amongst men for all of us, but one major one has been his ability to create cohesion within the squad. And by extension overperform, to insane levels, with that squad compared to transfer fees and wages. Clearly, he's not THE problem, but he could have a problem with being too picky, as has been discussed here the past few weeks. Personally, I'd prefer him eering on the side of too picky, rather than getting too loose-goosy with what he adds to the squad as a kneejerk to injuries, given what we've achieved with the current approach, but that's as subjective as it gets.

Just look at the James rumours. A fair few sounded (very) positive, but plenty have been lining up to question parts of his game, and to claim Eriksen and Son are better. If we're linked to a player who has lit up a WC, generally been spectacular for his national team, been sensational in a top 8ish European league, then top 5 league, getting a move to one top 3 teams in the World, then getting a move to another mammoth of a club despite the Real stay not working out, and there's any kind of meeeeeeeehhhhhh feeling towards that potential deal, then it speaks volumes about what it would really take to improve our starting 11.

But we should improve the depth of our squad. Sure, but we already have the squad filled to registration capacity. Or had before Dembele going. It's the easiest thing ever to knock N'Koudou from behind a keyboard. I noted how Winks and Jan were going out of their way post-match to praise him. What do we really know about why he hasn't quite gotten to where he could truly knock on the door of grabbing a starting berth? It seems, he's well-liked in the squad, and knowing Poch there zero chance he would still be here, be in our PL registration squad and getting game time, if he wasn't working his socks off to be ready, if and when his opportunity comes around. Could we get someone in to take his squad spot that would add 5-10-15-20% in quality? Probably yeah. But anyone sitting behind a monitor claiming to know better than Poch out on the training field and hanging around the squad, whether it's worth trading whatever that quality increase is, for someone who's an unknown factor in terms of the social and footballing makeup of the squad...they're kidding themselves imho.

I do think that we 100% have to replace Dembele, because it's left a free non-HG spot and we need the numbers. I'll be shouting what the fuck is happening with the best of you, if we don't. As for any other shake-ups by moving people on to improve, I'm trusting Poch unconditionally. He's fucking earned it.
Now this is a top post and a contender for post of the year.
No hyperbole, no over reaction on either side of the argument.
Just a plain, open, take it or leave, not trying to convince anyone post
:adesalute:

I was thinking the same. Some are fine with the players being abused or criticised, but any criticism of the chairman or owners & they get angry. Naturally more protective of the chairmen & owners than the manager & actual team. Each to their own I guess. Some have the spurs calender with a different player for each month. Others have 1 with levy in different poses & joe's yacht in different oceans.

Some have a calendar with 6 players on it and want the rest of the squad replaced while claiming to support the players.
Oh well

When they choose to pull on another shirt, they are fuck all to me anymore.

I just think you look with a bit of a longer view and that perspective seems nonsensical.

Is Gazza fuck-all? Is Hoddle fuck-all? Klinsmann? Sheringham?

Some departures are worse than others, obviously we're not going to fondly reminisce about Sol Campbell's time here, but fuck me, if we sell Kane or Eriksen for club record fees, I think the idea that they wouldn't be welcomed back to WHL as heroes is absurd.

I just think you look with a bit of a longer view and that perspective seems nonsensical.

Is Gazza fuck-all? Is Hoddle fuck-all? Klinsmann? Sheringham?

Some departures are worse than others, obviously we're not going to fondly reminisce about Sol Campbell's time here, but fuck me, if we sell Kane or Eriksen for club record fees, I think the idea that they wouldn't be welcomed back to WHL as heroes is absurd.

Well Gazza is a legend now but I didnt give a fuck about him when he was playing for Lazio

Who said they wouldn’t be welcomed back?
Maybe you can cheer if they score against us if ex players are so important to you

Last edited:
Backing isn't just money being spent. It's about backing the manager in his primary targets, which definitely hasn't been done

What if his primary targets went to bigger and better clubs? Went to a different club as they offered money we simply couldn't do? Or signed new deals with their clubs?

None of us know.

What if his primary targets went to bigger and better clubs? Went to a different club as they offered money we simply couldn't do? Or signed new deals with their clubs?

None of us know.

Southampton manager joins Spurs.
Southampton’s DM and CM join Spurs.

Mad coincidence that one. Levy signings

Back
Top Bottom