January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

l would rather have a little
" How's your father"
than be a perpetual Ottoman (the bald one ) Sultans enternal unic .

Shall we break it down even further, for those who think there are two camps to everything.

I bet that you and Bill could still strongly disagree about what signing you would want, even if the cost was the same, and we spent 50M on someone.

Maybe Bill would agree with me on an aspect on Poch more than he would John.

Maybe I would agree with mindblown on a selection more than I would Guido (sorry Guidzy” just collateral damage here)

Or arcspace and Spursdem agree with each other and think Poch made a mistake....

Stupid to only side with certain posters when you agree, but ignore others you don’t like when they say something you’re on board with.

Not at you

I’ve never really agreed with the criticism of how we spent the Bale money. Eriksen alone justified the entire outlay. Lamela is a perfectly good signing. I liked Chadli. It was only Soldado who was an out and out dud-in the Morata mould. Maybe Vlad too.

I always think it’s been slightly exaggerated, especially in comparison to the absolute fucking dross that UTD and Chelsea have signed. They never seem to get called out on it though.
And let’s not forget that Soldado was ripping up trees before we signed him. It didn’t work out at all, but in terms of risk, Bobby was not really a high risk signing. He just turned out to be rubbish for us.
I think the Bale money was well spent in hindsight. Eriksen & Lamela alone strengthened us in 2 positions. And they are both still at the club.

I'm not the one melting darling now fuck off back to the kitchen and make your mum a tea there's a good boy.

giphy.gif

Eh?

Eriksen strengthened us immeasurably. You could argue that Lamela did/does (I don't think so. A squad player, no more).

The rest were dross and a total waste. We're talking 5 years ago when £100m was a lot of money and top players were £30-40m.
How much are Eriksen & Lamela worth today? Or...how much would it cost to replace them?
And your comment about Eriksen alone renders the rest of your post meaningless.
He strengthened us “immeasurably”
Eh? Indeed

Not sure what you're talking about.

So we spend £110m and find 1 player out of 7? Route to bankruptcy.

This was five years ago (when fees were about a third of what they are today) and we paid not more than £15m for Eriksen. I looks like he might go now for £80m odd.

No idea about Lamela. In today's market £20-30m?

The rest were a complete waste. And this is "well spent"

We need to keep our hands in our pockets this window.

On this talk of strikers, is Kazaiah Sterling going to be good enough for the bench at some stage? He's 20 years old now, isn't out on loan (for memory), so what are we doing with him? Surely having a look at him if we're more than a goal up against Fulham could be worth it no?

On this talk of strikers, is Kazaiah Sterling going to be good enough for the bench at some stage? He's 20 years old now, isn't out on loan (for memory), so what are we doing with him? Surely having a look at him if we're more than a goal up against Fulham could be worth it no?

To be honest, young academy players usually start with far more of a bang than new signings so why not

To be honest, young academy players usually start with far more of a bang than new signings so why not

I agree. Have always thought it's worth pushing young academy strikers and wingers forward more than CMs and CBs to be honest. CMs and defenders can destroy a game for you if they're not up to it. But when you're 2-0 up against a weaker side with 15 minutes to go, a young striker or wide man won't lose you the game, probably. If Sterling were to come on and score, we'd have a third striker. If he scores the next time it happens, he's worth £10million.

The rest were dross and a total waste.

Chadli was not dross. Capoue had moments. I don't know how much we lost on their transfers, but they never struck me as disasters. Yes, bobby was pants, but as others suggested, he was banging them in beforehand. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Vlad was crap.

So of the six, one has turned up to be arguably the best player in the world in his position (something that can take tens or hundreds of transfers to discover). One has become a very important squad player. Two were average. Two were shit.

I'm not disagreeing that they were disappointing, rather that I'd still, for example, sign Bobby again. It made sense. You couldn't fault the logic.

A BAD signing is Janssen. He's shit. Someone at the club should have realised that he wasn't quick enough for the premier league.

Chadli was not dross. Capoue had moments. I don't know how much we lost on their transfers, but they never struck me as disasters. Yes, bobby was pants, but as others suggested, he was banging them in beforehand. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Vlad was crap.

So of the six, one has turned up to be arguably the best player in the world in his position (something that can take tens or hundreds of transfers to discover). One has become a very important squad player. Two were average. Two were shit.

I'm not disagreeing that they were disappointing, rather that I'd still, for example, sign Bobby again. It made sense. You couldn't fault the logic.

A BAD signing is Janssen. He's shit. Someone at the club should have realised that he wasn't quick enough for the premier league.
Chadli was effective for us, scored a lot of goals and versatile. We'd love a fit Chadli in the squad for the next month...

Not sure what you're talking about.

So we spend £110m and find 1 player out of 7? Route to bankruptcy.

This was five years ago (when fees were about a third of what they are today) and we paid not more than £15m for Eriksen. I looks like he might go now for £80m odd.

No idea about Lamela. In today's market £20-30m?

The rest were a complete waste. And this is "well spent"

We need to keep our hands in our pockets this window.
You’re having a mare here.
Eriksen strengthened us “immeasurably” - your exact word.

If all the others were shit & shipped off by now, Eriksen still strengthened us “immeasurably”.

And you follow it up by saying we shouldn’t spend this window.
FML
: ostrich:

Bobby Soldado will always be loved by Spurs fans as he always gave his all, just unfortunately couldn't get to grips with the English game. I consider it the curse of the number 9 shirt.. Pavlyuchenko, Soldado and now Janssen.. Although Pav was ok, never really set the world alight.

They tried to keep him, he was very sensible and wouldn't sign with them for more money than dortmund were offering him.

I heard somewhere City included a clause in his contract that he couldn't sign for another English club if he left before a professional deal was signed. Whether that's true I don't know.

But I give him all the respect for actually going out and finding first team football, moving abroad and earning his spot. Look at Loftus-Cheek now.. Signed a new big deal because he saw £££ signs, now can't get a game but priced himself out of a move with the contract he has. He would unreal at Spurs, especially in Dembele's role.

Back
Top Bottom