Tottenham Hotspur v. Manchester United (Wembley)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yep. 100% agree with that statement.

Luck has fuck all to do with bad finishing and good goalkeeping unfortunately.

You can say bad luck to a 9year old (and in reality be lying to him).

Our finishing today was just not the same quality as rashfords. Hit the net inside the post with a few of those shots and we win the game.
De Gea also positioned himself well but the fault was ours. Nothing to do with the Lsdy known as luck.

But that’s football. Tough one to take for the manager and players today.

Rashford scored... Not sure that speaks of their or his broader finishing quality... Typically, Rashford's dreadfully wasteful.

Not having a dig tho'... I concur it's hard to explain beyond being philosophical like you were.

I can only speak for my own feelings, some will agree and others, perhaps like you will disagree with it.
If Levy hadn’t improved the club’s status and prospects in recent years (for me that includes the training ground, new stadium, recruiting & working well with a great manager resulting in us having a great team, that plays with style and is a joy to watch) then I would be complain too. But I see how far we have come. Only a few years ago us being anywhere near the top 4 seemed impossible. Now we are disappointed if we don’t beat Chavs, Woolwich and Man U home and away...that’s crazy progress.
Agree. Levy builds carefully. This is not the best squad we will ever have. With the new grounds, we can keep building and (maybe) become a destination club. Just need to make sure we stay in champions league.

Some of y’all have gone off the deep end. I’ve been more upset at some wins this year than I have at this loss. Injuries more a concern than form, but a run of winnable matches coming up - let’s make the most of it.

We’re losing to the better teams in the league (Watford aside). Why is that a bigger problem? Unless you don’t think we should be losing at all.
Liverpool and City are understandable. Woolwich is a derby so it’s a bit of a mixed bag but probably shouldn’t be losing it given their shit form. Outplayed United today but it happens. Besides Watford (and Wolves) to your point, the losses at least make some sense.

Ultimately, though we’d want to throw some draws in instead of losses, as much as I find our current undrawable streak in the league fascinating.

True, but Jan has been a shadow of himself this season, at time a bit out (Liverpool, Today) at times miles off (Woolwich), what guarantees him a start over Dav, who despite some faults has this season been a far better option.

And it's not a case of Dav can't play on the left of a back four, him and De Light switched often at Ajax.

And why the demotion of Foyth just as he was building up a bit of form.

Agreed on this front (Also see Toby)... Already did a blurrb to that effect somewhere above.

I find it contradictory of his broader attitude (and slightly worrying in terms of Dav, Foyth and previously Wimmer's psyche's)... It's like he has a blind-spot for these 2.... Even with the Toby/contract back story.

Yes, I know. It’s the strangulated English I can’t stand. Why should I have to screw my eyes and turn my head to one side to try and decipher what he means? He said ‘most of the top 6’ and just stopped. Is it too much to ask for coherent sentences?

From Yoda; yes.

No way Poch believes the squad is sufficient. He is being diplomatic. He certainly would like Levy to buy players.

Well he need to set his sights a damn sight lower than a fair few people round here....

"A few key players a la Eriksen/Kane"

In January..... Whilst we're struggling with cash flow....:dembelelol:

Just watched the recording

Absolutely gutted

Mike Dean is an absolute cunt

Pogpa should have had a straight red for that deliberate attempt to injure Dele
Horror tackle and I totally agree with Souness in that he knew what he was doing right under Dean’s nose

We deserved at least a draw and played well 2nd half
De Gea had the game of his life

Yanited were a disgrace wasting time from 1st half onwards

Very concerned about injuries to Sissoko and Harry

Trippier is not good enough for this team

Had an absolute nightmare and totally responsible for their goal
WTF was he thinking about passing blind then?
Gave the ball away too many times and often not in position
Get rid asap

Winks played well but clearly cannot shoot

Mike Dean is a cunt

Good night

We’re losing to the better teams in the league (Watford aside). Why is that a bigger problem? Unless you don’t think we should be losing at all.

Losing to the top teams isn't a good thing though is it. Liverpool are 3+ better off us because they beat us at our own home. Man City are above us because of 3 points they picked up at our place.

I can understand going to Anfield, Stamford Bridge, Etihad and losing games. They have home advantage and they're part of the top 6 but at home against our rivals is where we need to make up ground, compete and show we're on there level.

We know the quality outside the top 6 is the worst it's ever been. Most teams in the top 6 will NOT drop points at home to these sides. So getting points off those within the top 6 is the difference between finishing 1st and finishing 4th.

Imagine if Liverpool lost all their home games to those around them. The league table would look like this right now:

1. Man City - 52
2. Tottenham - 51
3. Liverpool - 50
4. Chelsea - 47

In fact, imagine if we had got at least a point against Liverpool, City and United at home (All were possible) at the same time.

1. Liverpool - 51
2. Tottenham - 51
3. Man City - 50
4. Chelsea - 47

Now I know that's all wishful thinking. But it shows how BIG these games against the rest of the big 6 is. It's almost a little mini-league in itself.

Liverpool are where they are, not only because they're a good team, but because they've also stopped teams around them from beating them. Man City DID beat them at home, but Liverpool got an important point at home against them. Man City could have won with a last minute penalty, which would have put them 4 points behind with a game in hand right now.

If you want to win the Premier League you need to beat the competition at home and hope to get a few points here and there away at their place. You need to stop them gaining ground somehow.

Losing to the top teams isn't a good thing though is it. Liverpool are 3+ better off us because they beat us at our own home. Man City are above us because of 3 points they picked up at our place.

I can understand going to Anfield, Stamford Bridge, Etihad and losing games. They have home advantage and they're part of the top 6 but at home against our rivals is where we need to make up ground, compete and show we're on there level.

We know the quality outside the top 6 is the worst it's ever been. Most teams in the top 6 will NOT drop points at home to these sides. So getting points off those within the top 6 is the difference between finishing 1st and finishing 4th.

Imagine if Liverpool lost all their home games to those around them. The league table would look like this right now:

1. Man City - 52
2. Tottenham - 51
3. Liverpool - 50
4. Chelsea - 47

In fact, imagine if we had got at least a point against Liverpool, City and United at home (All were possible) at the same time.

1. Liverpool - 51
2. Tottenham - 51
3. Man City - 50
4. Chelsea - 47

Now I know that's all wishful thinking. But it shows how BIG these games against the rest of the big 6 is. It's almost a little mini-league in itself.

Liverpool are where they are, not only because they're a good team, but because they've also stopped teams around them from beating them. Man City DID beat them at home, but Liverpool got an important point at home against them. Man City could have won with a last minute penalty, which would have put them 4 points behind with a game in hand right now.

If you want to win the Premier League you need to beat the competition at home and hope to get a few points here and there away at their place. You need to stop them gaining ground somehow.

I take on board what you’re saying but Wembley isn’t home for us

Quite the opposite

Still fizzing after the game

Jammy Manc cunts
Grrrrrr

I take on board what you’re saying but Wembley isn’t home for us

Quite the opposite

Still fizzing after the game

Jammy Manc cunts
Grrrrrr

To be fair - it probably has a part to play.

Just look at our 16/17 season. (Last at the Lane)

Drew with Liverpool at home
Beat City at home
Beat Chelsea at home
Beat Man Utd at home
Beat Woolwich at home

And we finished above all of those bar 1, record points total for a team finishing 2nd etc.

Cannot wait to move back home.

Losing to the top teams isn't a good thing though is it.

Did I ever say it was? I just said it’s more likely. Going back years I’ve always said it’s our results against the bigger teams that are defining. A draw in isolation looks like a disappointing result, but it’s the points you deny the teams around you that can be crucial. I think I understand this as well as anyone on this forum.

Did I ever say it was? I just said it’s more likely. Going back years I’ve always said it’s our results against the bigger teams that are defining. A draw in isolation looks like a disappointing result, but it’s the points you deny the teams around you that can be crucial. I think I understand this as well as anyone on this forum.

That's what I am saying ;)

Back
Top Bottom