Tottenham Hotspur v. Manchester United (Wembley)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Praise for DeGea a bit OTT I think. Most efforts were straight at him.

The massive over praise for De Gea, VVD, Pogba etc. is the English way of trying to say "All the best players in the World play in the EPL".

Forget guys in France, Spain Germany and Holland who might be better, the best play in the EPL (apart from at Spurs, well they might allow us Kane).

Most of the top 6 what? Honestly, go to bed.
He is right though, Liverpool have lost 1 game, City 3, Chelsea 3, Woolwich 5, United 5 and we have lost 6 matches. But we (16) have won more matches than Chelsea (14), Woolwich (12) and United (12). City have won 16 games as well, but play against Wolves tomorrow, Pool have won 18 matches so far. It's incredible that we are the only team in the league that hasn't drawn a game this season.

Not really, it may give a youngster a chance to grow into a genuine first team contender.

However I'm not as sure Poch is as "youth friendly" as he's made out to be.

I understand why, but I think it depends on how you view things...

It's only natural that as the quality of the first XI improves, so to does the bar raise for academy graduates...

Meanwhile, there's 100 reasons why academy graduate X may not get picked for individual game Y, but when you look at how Poch used the academy to jump start his 'revolution' and the fact that young players have been allowed to prove himself under the lime-light (Dele) and trusted with big games (Winks / KWP at Barca), there is quite clearly a route (and a willingness within the coaching and recruitment policy) into the main squad which speaks well of him in terms of his attitude towards youth (It's apparent he'd rather coach a young player rather than try and mold an older one too)....

It's hard not to trust him...

Has anyone done anything notable having left (perm or loan) following a few cameos (or more) under Poch?

Carrol
Townsend
Bentaleb
Onomah
CCV
Edwards

Granted KWP is a currently 'baffler', but there's obviously something there making Poch feel reluctant... The performances have been decent... Maybe he doesn't train well.

Hard to say, but, as to your original point... Look at the Chavs & Chelsea (allegedly blessed with better quality prospects, yet loaned to death or sold)... Night and day.

So no, we don't debut as many kids as some hype might suggest, but looking at the academy's overall role at the club and the Pochs influence over it, alongside our player acquisitions in general, I'd say youth is very much part of the clubs philosophy.

Aside from the insults (I get it but not my style) I 100% agree.

I am going to honestly try however to say nothing more.

Got into a right slanging match today with a couple of fans who thought we were just unlucky.

I see it as not being good enough. If down to luck why bother.

Honestly we should have won on chances created but lost. It's not luck.

Yep. 100% agree with that statement.

Luck has fuck all to do with bad finishing and good goalkeeping unfortunately.

You can say bad luck to a 9year old (and in reality be lying to him).

Our finishing today was just not the same quality as rashfords. Hit the net inside the post with a few of those shots and we win the game.
De Gea also positioned himself well but the fault was ours. Nothing to do with the Lsdy known as luck.

But that’s football. Tough one to take for the manager and players today.

People focusing too much on the 6 losses column.

We could lose 8 games and win 30 and we'd probably have enough points to win the Premier League in most years the competition has been running. We lost 7 games in all last season. Yet I'm willing to bet we'll better our points total and finish closer to the top than we did last season.

Yes, we've lost more games than anyone else in the top 6. But only one team in the league has won more games than we have this season.

A bigger problem is who we're losing to.

If our normally prolific forwards hadn’t shat the bed in front of goal today this ‘signings’ bollocks wouldn’t be happening. Maybe at another time, but not now. Some people don’t know when to leave off.

Thing is, normally a manager, when a player is having a bad day, looks at the bench and thinks who would turn this around for me. Harry Kane has an off day, ah what the hell, stick with h
I understand why, but I think it depends on how you view things...

It's only natural that as the quality of the first XI improves, so to does the bar raise for academy graduates...

Meanwhile, there's 100 reasons why academy graduate X may not get picked for individual game Y, but when you look at how Poch used the academy to jump start his 'revolution' and the fact that young players have been allowed to prove himself under the lime-light (Dele) and trusted with big games (Winks / KWP at Barca), there is quite clearly a route (and a willingness within the coaching and recruitment policy) into the main squad which speaks well of him in terms of his attitude towards youth (It's apparent he'd rather coach a young players than try and mold an older one too)....

It's hard not to trust him...

Has anyone done anything notable having left (perm or loan) following a few cameos (or more) under Poch?

Carrol
Townsend
Bentaleb
Onomah
CCV
Edwards

Granted KWP is a currently 'baffler', but there's obviously something there making Poch feel reluctant... The performances have been decent... Maybe he doesn't train well.

Hard to say, but, as to your original point... Look at the Chavs & Chelsea (allegedly blessed with better quality prospects, yet loaned to death or sold)... Night and day.

So no, we don't debut as many kids as some hype might suggest, but looking at the academy's overall role at the club and the Pochs influence over it, alongside our player acquisitions in general, I'd say youth is very much part of the clubs philosophy.

True, but Jan has been a shadow of himself this season, at time a bit out (Liverpool, Today) at times miles off (Woolwich), what guarantees him a start over Dav, who despite some faults has this season been a far better option.

And it's not a case of Dav can't play on the left of a back four, him and De Light switched often at Ajax.

And why the demotion of Foyth just as he was building up a bit of form.

He is right though, Liverpool have lost 1 game, City 3, Chelsea 3, Woolwich 5, United 5 and we have lost 6 matches. But we (16) have won more matches than Chelsea (14), Woolwich (12) and United (12). City have won 16 games as well, but play against Wolves tomorrow, Pool have won 18 matches so far.

Yes, I know. It’s the strangulated English I can’t stand. Why should I have to screw my eyes and turn my head to one side to try and decipher what he means? He said ‘most of the top 6’ and just stopped. Is it too much to ask for coherent sentences?

However I'm not as sure Poch is as "youth friendly" as he's made out to be.

No one's as youth friendly as Poch is made out to be, but I think he likes to have youngsters training with the first team, and from there he's genuinely unafraid to play them if he thinks they're the man for the job.

If another Dele Alli comes along, they will be in the team, right then, and permanently. But KWP or CCV aren't going to get looks just for the sake of giving young players chances.

Thing is, normally a manager, when a player is having a bad day, looks at the bench and thinks who would turn this around for me. Harry Kane has an off day, ah what the hell, stick with h

But he did, he brought on Llorente, who played ok and should have scored. It’s not always like for like.

People focusing too much on the 6 losses column.

We could lose 8 games and win 30 and we'd probably have enough points to win the Premier League in most years the competition has been running.

Yes, we've lost more games than anyone else in the top 6. But only one team in the league has won more games than we have this season.

A bigger problem is who we're losing to.

Or the way we are losing

Liverpool we basically gifted two goals and never put them under pressure until the last 10 minutes. And hell, we nearly drew that game.

Watford we took the lead, then just switched off and gave them the game. Poor defending for the goals.

Man City, individual error, compounded by weak defending. The missing clear chances that could have given us the win.

Woolwich, a fucking team shocker, compounded by one of the worst games by an individual (Jan) giving them one and being all over the place for the others.

Wolves, over confidence and some shitty defending.

Man Ure, an inability to take chances with an individual error and some slack defending.

We don't have the defence we have had as last three years and we have off days in front of goal. But a major factor is the downturn in our defensive fortunes.

Or the way we are losing

Liverpool we basically gifted two goals and never put them under pressure until the last 10 minutes. And hell, we nearly drew that game.

Watford we took the lead, then just switched off and gave them the game. Poor defending for the goals.

Man City, individual error, compounded by weak defending. The missing clear chances that could have given us the win.

Woolwich, a fucking team shocker, compounded by one of the worst games by an individual (Jan) giving them one and being all over the place for the others.

Wolves, over confidence and some shitty defending.

Man Ure, an inability to take chances with an individual error and some slack defending.

We don't have the defence we have had as last three years and we have off days in front of goal. But a major factor is the downturn in our defensive fortunes.

The defensive issues are a bit of a problem - having no proper defensive midfielder and changing our back four every week can't help though.

Our defensive problems have been present all season. We beat Bournemouth 5-0 but they were getting plenty of chances. Everton scored two against us.

I almost feel like against the poorer teams, Poch has us a bit more open in midfield to try and open the game up a bit, bring teams on to us knowing that we have a devastating attack

Aside from the insults (I get it but not my style) I 100% agree.

I am going to honestly try however to say nothing more.

Got into a right slanging match today with a couple of fans who thought we were just unlucky.

I see it as not being good enough. If down to luck why bother.

Honestly we should have won on chances created but lost. It's not luck.

But improve the squad and team? Nope it's fine they say.

6 games lost out of 22. Most in the top 6 but hope we are fine.

Proceeds to carry on.....

My thoughts exactly.

Snuggle up to JT all you want... You're the mug that said they weren't even trying today. You're also one who spent most of Jose's Man Utd tenure sucking on his spent, over-milked teet. Go-to footballing knowledge right d'ere!

I love a good signing as much as the next person but not sure you can make a case for a lack of investment costing us today.

We peppered their goal... our "fab four" couldn't place the ball either side of that cunt keepers legs and that's it - better finishing and we'd have won 4-1 on another day.

But he did, he brought on Llorente, who played ok and should have scored. It’s not always like for like.

He brought him on, as usual as a last ditch option because he obviously doesn't trust him enough to play 30 minutes in the team

Now imagine turning to the bench and seeing someone like Hirving Lozano sitting there. Puts a whole new dimension at his disposal, and considering we don't have any attackers who are as strong with their left foot, it's a great thought.

They seem to get off on every opportunity they get to label those of us who want to see serious investment in the team as retards and melts.

Why is it unreasonable to expect the 10th richest club in the fucking world to be able to identify and pay for players that can improve and enhance our squad.
A club that can pull in over 80,000 fans, paying top dollar, for a league game at a ground that ain't even their own.

These fans will do anything to try and justify a whole summer of zero investment and possibly a January to follow yet have the fucking cuntflaps to label those of us who want to see investment as melts.

Cunts.

I can only speak for my own feelings, some will agree and others, perhaps like you will disagree with it.
If Levy hadn’t improved the club’s status and prospects in recent years (for me that includes the training ground, new stadium, recruiting & working well with a great manager resulting in us having a great team, that plays with style and is a joy to watch) then I would be complain too. But I see how far we have come. Only a few years ago us being anywhere near the top 4 seemed impossible. Now we are disappointed if we don’t beat Chavs, Woolwich and Man U home and away...that’s crazy progress.

He is right though, Liverpool have lost 1 game, City 3, Chelsea 3, Woolwich 5, United 5 and we have lost 6 matches. But we (16) have won more matches than Chelsea (14), Woolwich (12) and United (12). City have won 16 games as well, but play against Wolves tomorrow, Pool have won 18 matches so far. It's incredible that we are the only team in the league that hasn't drawn a game this season.

League position > quibbling about wins vs draw tbf.

The defensive issues are a bit of a problem - having no proper defensive midfielder and changing our back four every week can't help though.

Our defensive problems have been present all season. We beat Bournemouth 5-0 but they were getting plenty of chances. Everton scored two against us.

I almost feel like against the poorer teams, Poch has us a bit more open in midfield to try and open the game up a bit, bring teams on to us knowing that we have a devastating attack

Other things though, we conceded a lot of headers from corners. Why? Seen Toby from a corner? See how he lost the Chavski defender the other night when they should have scored?

That's why we need a leader in the back line. A vocal hard bastard who'll command the team round him. The defence has been all over the place which is a shock having a former Argentine defender as our manager. I thought defensive discipline would be his bread and butter.

Back
Top Bottom