Chelsea (league cup semi final)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s interesting how differently people see a game. I thought Winks was pretty awful today, too slow with his passing and chasing the game in a way that, to me, made him look lost. On the second half the pace of his passing improved a bit, but he kept playing it back and basically putting our defence under pressure, and forcing them or Gazza to hoof.
I'd say this was the plan, he wasn't the only one, we drew them onto us time and again, we actually controlled this part really well. Chelsea didn't profit once from pressing us into a mistake. We may have lost possession a few times doing it but this was when there was nothing on and we made sure that it wasn't via a turnover/tackle/challenge it was usually us going long either out for a throw or it went to their defence for them to start all over again.

Not claiming to be a Winks authority by any means but I've been giving him a bit of clog for his off the ball work, which IMO has been so poor, so it tends to have my radar out for me almost from KO in this regard and tonight I thought this aspect was excellent. It's nothing special that we are talking about here, it's basically him staying on his feet, knowing when to press and when to stand off, not getting drawn to the ball so he can be played around, they created fuck all through the middle last night.

When the ball was at his feet the option was to play out from the back, WInks and others would gain possession in midfield and playback to CB's, this gave us control (although very deep and we didn't find the player to link midfield into attacks - Eriksen). He was great at dropping between the CB's getting the ball off Gazza and turning looking for the player in space (Eriksen??) but think Eriksen was struggling to find those pockets *(I think).

*I do need to rewatch Eriksen in this game as I think this is where our issues were but it wasn't obvious to me whether he was playing poorly or if Chelsea did a number on him.

Last edited:
Winks was poor for me, tactically or not you have to be able to see when it’s better to release Son into a counter against one defender, or pass it to Gaz with seven Chelsea bearing down on him

His shoulder 'may' have been offside. Can you legally score with your shoulder? Genuine question, not trying to be argumentative.
Yup!!
PA.35877284.jpg

Though if you're Harry Kane, you get shit loads of stick for it EITHER way!

Last edited:
Winks was poor for me, tactically or not you have to be able to see when it’s better to release Son into a counter against one defender, or pass it to Gaz with seven Chelsea bearing down on him
It’s weird. You say someone has a bad game and everyone says you want him sold. I think I’ll just stop watching games and read on here what to think.

(Ok, not everyone) :eriksenlol:

Last edited:
The love taps between Gaz and Toby had me in stitches one moment, and then reaching for blood pressure pills the next. Love the guys confidence, but i was dreading a debacle.

Right now, after the event, ..... brilliant stuff lol.

He certainly plays like he doesnt want any blood on his hands. Better pass it Toby or Sanchez because that's so much easier. Then people see his 95% pass completion rate after passing it to the centre backs all night and think he's the next Iniesta.
Yeah - it would have been so much better for him to play low percentage passes into the Chelsea midfield, and cede possession in a massively dangerous area.
Bit of a foolish comment to think that people who actually understand how the game is played would be dumb enough to make comparisons between Winks and Iniesta, or worse compare him against Hazards contribution to Chelsea.
The position Winks played in is enormously reliant on the two midfielders either side of him to be available, in space, hopefully facing the right way to be available to receive a pass and work it forward - if that outlet doesn't exist - who is to blame, Winks or his partners?
Without them he is only really left with the defence (who were excellent, by and large) or the keeper to play with, until the rest of the team get themselves into reachable space for Winks to pass to.

Get in VAR

Few years ago that's no goal, then chavs get a flukey one at the other end straight after. Have that you cunts.

A very professional performance. Considering our hectic schedule x injury situation I'm delighted with that.

For all their huffing and puffing chavs didn't really create much.

It's insane how valuable Sissoko has become to us.
Special shout out to Trippier who I did not want to start, a very solid game from him.

Proud of the graft from all the lads.

Yup!!
Redirect Notice

Though if you're Harry Kane, you get shit loads of stick for it EITHER way!

I thought it was hard for the bloke. Up against quality players lest we forget.

This is partly no choice however and squad depth, which says if a player is maybe struggling (thought Winks was okay in truth) then change him. We can't and then to lose Dembele and no replacement? Madnesssssss.

Anyhow, we lead and can't be complacent - good combination.

We can play better and hopefully if Moura is fit we can use his pace ahead of Kane.

Thiught defensively we were unbelievable and that the team showed a stealy side that maybe has been absent in key games previously.

I didn’t thinks Winks had a good one yesterday. He was indecisive and slow on the ball. Better than Eriksen though, who had his worst game in months.

Wow! It's amazing the shit that you miss when you at the game. Reading stuff on here and the wider online football sphere, everyone INCLUDING Chelsea, are saying that despite the numerous cameras in the ground, the numerous reviews conducted by numerous match officials, from numerous replays, the consensus INCLUDING the British media is that VAR is wrong. That the cameras are in the wrong place!!

I've banged on long enough about VAR and how utterly shit it is and how it will destroy this game. Last night was no exception, when you are in the crowd no-one knows what the fuck is going on, sat in silence waiting, the atmosphere being sucked out of the crowd with every passing second. What a fucking cunting shambles. Shit it's being used, shit when it's being used, shit because it's not definitive and causes more controversy than before.

Some of you actually want this, you've been pleading for it to come in, hope you are enjoying it, it's fucking great ain't it?!?

Last edited:
Can someone actually clarify what happened with the VAR penalty incident please?

From where I was sat in the stands, Kane went through on goal with no flag from the linesman. Kane goes down and the ref blows up but indicated it was for offside. At this stage the lino's flag was still down by his side and it was only when Michael Oliver brought it back to the offside position that he raced his flag. So it looked like a free kick was awarded to Chelsea for offside by the ref, not the linesman.

If that's the case then surely it's the wrong way to be using VAR? How can you give the offside then decide if a foul was made after the offside? The correct way would have been to award the penalty and then go to VAR to check the offside and the tackle.

Despite the fact we benefited from the decision last night, the whole was it was dealt with was farcical!

Exactly my point. If he’s the base of the diamond then it’s his role to transition when Chelsea have overcommitted, which didn’t happen.

If not then all we’re doing is inviting pressure with no response. Anyway, I’ll jump off there as I think Winks is a good player but that wasn’t his game.

Wow! It's amazing the shit that you miss when you at the game. Reading stuff on here and the wider online football sphere, everyone INCLUDING Chelsea, are saying that despite the numerous cameras in the ground, the numerous reviews conducted by numerous match officials, from numerous replays, the consensus INCLUDING the British media is that VAR is wrong. That the cameras are in the wrong place!!

I've banged on long enough about VAR and how utterly shit it is and how it will destroy this game. Last night was no exception, when you are in the crowd no-one what the fuck is going on, sat in silence waiting, the atmosphere being sucked out of the crowd with every passing second. What a fucking cunting shambles. Shit it's being used, shit when it's being used, shit because it's not definitive and causes more controversy than before.

Some of you actually want this, you've been pleading for it to come in, hope you are enjoying it, it's fucking great ain't it?!?

Apart from everything else VAR is shit because its simply not objective. The ref gets to decide what gets looked at and what doesn't during the game, (or he gets a call in his ear from up top). This is clearly open to abuse, Either you study every contentious issue in a game or you give up.

Apart from everything else VAR is shit because its simply not objective. The ref gets to decide what gets looked at and what doesn't during the game, (or he gets a call in his ear from up top). This is clearly open to abuse, Either you study every contentious issue in a game or you give up.
I always hear people in favour of it say "we will get the right decision". What they mean is they hope they get the decision that they think it is, absolutely NO different than today. For some warped reason they think seeing it in slow motion and from 10 angles everyone will agree with their own interpretation of it. You've only got to look at the dier post-match analysis when VAR isn't around to see that pundits in the studio will disagree with each other!

Absolute wank.

Get in VAR

Few years ago that's no goal, then chavs get a flukey one at the other end straight after. Have that you cunts.

A very professional performance. Considering our hectic schedule x injury situation I'm delighted with that.

For all their huffing and puffing chavs didn't really create much.

It's insane how valuable Sissoko has become to us.
Special shout out to Trippier who I did not want to start, a very solid game from him.

Proud of the graft from all the lads.

It looked to me they saw Sissoko as enough of a threat they needed to target him and put two men on him plenty of times as they do with Dele and Kane.

I've banged on long enough about VAR and how utterly shit it is and how it will destroy this game. Last night was no exception, when you are in the crowd no-one what the fuck is going on, sat in silence waiting, the atmosphere being sucked out of the crowd with every passing second. What a fucking cunting shambles. Shit it's being used, shit when it's being used, shit because it's not definitive and causes more controversy than before.

When VAR was used over here for a bit last season it was taking an eternity to get a decision, then the WC in Russia was a huge success with hardly any delays, back in the UK again it's all huge delays.

It must be our officials that are shit.

Back
Top Bottom