Chelsea (league cup semi final)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Cloughie knew what it was about. Totti Totti made a valid point regarding Winks currently playing as a holding midfielder hence maybe being told not to do what I'm seeking. Very good point, we'll hopefully see a change in him once Dier is back.

Another point to make is with both our defensive midfielders out injured and our number one CM in Dembele up until a few months ago, how well is our midfield coping against the likes of Chelsea, Everton away etc? ,arvellpus when you think about it (even if I want to see more from Winksy long term)

See my reply to Jerry re Hoddle
:dembelelol:

Fucking hell there are 100s of tweets like this.
giphy.gif

Just home. As always when playing Chelsea, a nervy experience that is only properly enjoyable with hindsight once the result is sealed. A couple of thoughts:

Our backline was about as relaxed as I've ever seen them. Even on the occasions Chelsea broke into the box, our movement was very considered, almost to the point where it appeared slow. You'd wonder why we were moving so sluggishly while under threat and then suddenly the tackle was made. We are very, VERY drilled defensively.

The crowd were getting frustrated with so much of our passing going sideways and backwards, as well as Rose and Trippier seemingly being ignored when in acres of space. This happened so much that it was clearly a deliberate tactic, I suspect intending to draw Chelsea on and bring their back line higher up to hit them on the break. Our front three were very blatantly quicker than their defence. Chelsea didn't actually bite often, which lead to frustration from the crowd. The standard cries for them to get it forward etc, but I think there was a lot more going on strategically than was obvious to us.

The VAR moment was a funny one. I actually agree with Sarri in that the linesman stopping probably affected the Chelsea players, but his flag didn't go up until the referee had signalled for a foul/VAR/whatever. A weird situation and one that - as ever with VAR when I've seen it - nobody seemed to have any idea what was going on in.

I'm generally among the last to think that a referee is showing actual bias rather than incompetence, but Michael Oliver was dreadful tonight. Up there with the worst performances I've seen from a referee. Not just against us - he so obviously tried to compensate after having made a dodgy decision that both sides benefitted from AND lost out on decisions that everybody in the bloody ground knew were incorrect.

Lamela was as unlucky as it gets. Neither of his fouls were fouls. Reputation preceding him maybe, who knows.

Finally - and predictably - let's get back to N17. The atmosphere wasn't bad tonight; at WHL it would have been immense.

Still, a win. Keep forgetting there's another leg to be played. We'll smash them at the Bridge. COYS.

Just in myself. Made pretty decent time even with the bloody road closure on the A11. It’s amazing how different it is down Wembley way when the ground is only half full!

Haven’t got the energy to go through the thread to find out, but was the Lamela foul at the end actually a foul? I was in block 127 and it looked very soft to me.

Bit of a frustrating game to watch but fuck it, we beat the racists. Great result. Keep a clean sheet at their gaff and we’re going to Wembley!

Just in myself. Made pretty decent time even with the bloody road closure on the A11. It’s amazing how different it is down Wembley way when the ground is only half full!

Haven’t got the energy to go through the thread to find out, but was the Lamela foul at the end actually a foul? I was in block 127 and it looked very soft to me.

Bit of a frustrating game to watch but fuck it, we beat the racists. Great result. Keep a clean sheet at their gaff and we’re going to Wembley!

No one in this thread thought it was a foul - nor did I think it was.

Sky didn't even show a replay of it either.

I thought he was his best performance for us defensively in all honesty. That would have been a tough second half for him being on a second yellow and having to pick up arguably the best footballer in the country most of the half.

I thought he was probably our best midfielder over 90 minutes. Eriksen was invisible. Sissoko was wasteful and Dele had a good 20 minutes in the second half.

Bingo.

Winks getting criticised again, he was easily out best midfielder over the course of that game and especially second half. Eriksen and Sissoko just did nowhere near enough.

I got annoyed with Winks tonight. He kept recycling it back I nto the defence when Chelsea were in full press and he had options forward that would have taken pressure off. There’s sticking to the plan and then there’s using your brain.

Sissoko deserves a lot of credit for attempting to break the press. Whilst he might have been guilty of losing possession he did so after gaining a lot of yards and giving the back line a break... pretty much the only player that managed it apart from Toby hitting a few long balls in the first half.

There wasn’t any real pressing until Poch had a word in Dele’s ear second half and he dropped back and went hunting, so credit for that. He would have had a poor game otherwise. We were content to be on our heels most of the game and fall back to our box. Watching Alonso swallow yards uncontested over and over wasn’t very pleasant to watch.

I know it was the game plan but I thought we rode our luck tonight. Defence were all great, Gazza saved us but midfield was poor and that was Eriksen’s worst performance for a while. If you’re going to play for the counter then you need to, you know, counter.

Despite all that we have the lead going into the second leg so what the fuck do I know?

:eriksenlol:

The reason Winks had to keep going backwards was because Eriksen, and particularly Sissoko were not showing for the ball enough - that's their jobs in this midfield, Winks distributes they transition - they are the 8's. Winks touched the ball 76 times, made 62 passes, Eriksen 59/44, Sissoko 44/34. Winks also made more tackles/intercepts (4) than anyone bar Trippier (6).

"At least he gained yards" ? Seriously ? It's not American football. We gained yards every time TA whacked it up to the forwards. It was as pointless as Sissoko charging upfield and then giving the ball away..twice.

Totti has let himself down today. Sissoko was our best midfielder.
As for Eriksen, his team mates did not set the stage for him, so he could not perform.

Totti was bang on. Sissoko was our worst midfielder, once again hid from receiving the ball too often (half the touches Winks for example), trundles about without enough urgency without the ball and went on a couple of forward surges which, as ever, ended with him giving the ball away and them breaking back on us.

Eriksen not far behind, was about as ineffective as he's been since the early part of the season, it was almost as if Chelsea did the same job on him with Kante that we'd done on Jorginho with Alli in the last game.

Winks wasn't brilliant, but was the only one our midfielders that kept playing. He was the only player that managed to get the ball off Hazard too, without fouling him.

Winksy needs to find a blend of playing it safe to turning his skill into threat. Too many balls into play it safe areas today that I believe put us under unnecessary presssure. Fair enough you need to have that safe way when it's required but I want to see him look for teams weak areas and exploit them, even if it's just a quick knock past someone to win a free kick. Add these areas to his games, be a little more positive instead of still looking like a youngster in a senior team and he will be just fine. Simply put bags of potential but he needs to find a way to add more in my opinion

Winks actually saw nearly as much ball as Jorginho tonight, he was the only one of our midfielders that really kept trying to play football through their press. See above (and Totti's probably answered this as well).

I was far more disappointed with Eriksen, Alli and Sissoko who's job it was to transition. All of them struggled to play under duress. Alli was better when dropped back, but he couldn't be much worse than he'd been at the tip of the diamond.

Last edited:
Cheers Tots.

Blimey, I’m surprised they didn’t show a replay considering it would almost certainly have led to a goal.

Regarding the tackle on Hazard - it was probably a foul, but a very very harsh yellow card. Lamela did lead with his elbow but it didn't touch Hazard at all.

Did love this though:

I got annoyed with Winks tonight. He kept recycling it back I nto the defence when Chelsea were in full press and he had options forward that would have taken pressure off. There’s sticking to the plan and then there’s using your brain.

Sissoko deserves a lot of credit for attempting to break the press. Whilst he might have been guilty of losing possession he did so after gaining a lot of yards and giving the back line a break... pretty much the only player that managed it apart from Toby hitting a few long balls in the first half.

There wasn’t any real pressing until Poch had a word in Dele’s ear second half and he dropped back and went hunting, so credit for that. He would have had a poor game otherwise. We were content to be on our heels most of the game and fall back to our box. Watching Alonso swallow yards uncontested over and over wasn’t very pleasant to watch.

I know it was the game plan but I thought we rode our luck tonight. Defence were all great, Gazza saved us but midfield was poor and that was Eriksen’s worst performance for a while. If you’re going to play for the counter then you need to, you know, counter.

Despite all that we have the lead going into the second leg so what the fuck do I know?

:eriksenlol:
Agree you know not a thing nothing zilch zero nil

Just home. As always when playing Chelsea, a nervy experience that is only properly enjoyable with hindsight once the result is sealed. A couple of thoughts:

Our backline was about as relaxed as I've ever seen them. Even on the occasions Chelsea broke into the box, our movement was very considered, almost to the point where it appeared slow. You'd wonder why we were moving so sluggishly while under threat and then suddenly the tackle was made. We are very, VERY drilled defensively.

The crowd were getting frustrated with so much of our passing going sideways and backwards, as well as Rose and Trippier seemingly being ignored when in acres of space. This happened so much that it was clearly a deliberate tactic, I suspect intending to draw Chelsea on and bring their back line higher up to hit them on the break. Our front three were very blatantly quicker than their defence. Chelsea didn't actually bite often, which lead to frustration from the crowd. The standard cries for them to get it forward etc, but I think there was a lot more going on strategically than was obvious to us.

The VAR moment was a funny one. I actually agree with Sarri in that the linesman stopping probably affected the Chelsea players, but his flag didn't go up until the referee had signalled for a foul/VAR/whatever. A weird situation and one that - as ever with VAR when I've seen it - nobody seemed to have any idea what was going on in.

I'm generally among the last to think that a referee is showing actual bias rather than incompetence, but Michael Oliver was dreadful tonight. Up there with the worst performances I've seen from a referee. Not just against us - he so obviously tried to compensate after having made a dodgy decision that both sides benefitted from AND lost out on decisions that everybody in the bloody ground knew were incorrect.

Lamela was as unlucky as it gets. Neither of his fouls were fouls. Reputation preceding him maybe, who knows.

Finally - and predictably - let's get back to N17. The atmosphere wasn't bad tonight; at WHL it would have been immense.

Still, a win. Keep forgetting there's another leg to be played. We'll smash them at the Bridge. COYS.
The ref was a joke

Thank you for taking the time to post.
I for one, appreciate.
:dierpochhug:.

Back
Top Bottom