Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Re: Fwd passing:

He'd previously shown a penchant for early vertical passes....

Anyone stop and think he's being coached to play a certain way?

We need to bring in another playmaker next month. Winksy is good enough when our attacking players are creating goals while he is busy passing backwards and sideways but matches like today show why we need a better CM.

Dude, your avatar is pure bizzaro.....

...Any idea what game that was?

Re: Fwd passing:

He'd previously shown a penchant for early vertical passes....

Anyone stop and think he's being coached to play a certain way?
I've noticed this as well. Winks' play style these days is completely different to when he first broke onto the team. Much more careful measured passing for the most part. Whether this is through coaching or a lack of self belief is hard to know.

Likable lad and decent at recycling the ball, but today showed again why he's not good enough. We need bring in a CL caliber Central Mid in January

Son wasn't good enough, Dele wasn't good enough, Tripps wasn't good enough, Eriksen had a shocker, Hugo had a mare ... the list goes on. Why dig up a 22 year old playing his 7th game in under a month based on one match where half the team weren't at the races ... sure he had a less than stellar day it happens .......

I've noticed this as well. Winks' play style these days is completely different to when he first broke onto the team. Much more careful measured passing for the most part. Whether this is through coaching or a lack of self belief is hard to know.

It's also worth noting that when he broke though, he'd usually play with one of Wanyama/Dier/Dembele.

He's playing deeper this season, simply because of the injuries we've had to our defensive players. I wonder if the deeper role means he's being told to retain possession more and get the ball to those who can create as opposed to trying to create himself?

I've said it plenty of times, it's hard to judge Winks when he's playing in a position that simply won't see the best out of him. He needs to be in a midfield 3 alongside another central midfielder and a defensive midfielder behind them to really flourish in my opinion. I just don't know how many games he starts when everyone is fit. Because Dele and Eriksen are both playing a lot deeper this season and add a lot more to the team.

When he receives the ball it's 100% a short pass to the back or sides and occasionally vertically. Where are his through passes and long balls? He needs to be attempting these.

When he receives the ball it's 100% a short pass to the back or sides and occasionally vertically. Where are his through passes and long balls? He needs to be attempting these.
Agree
Plus he can’t defend and that’s why we need Dembele back ASAP or even Dier at least he is tall big bulky

It's also worth noting that when he broke though, he'd usually play with one of Wanyama/Dier/Dembele.

He's playing deeper this season, simply because of the injuries we've had to our defensive players. I wonder if the deeper role means he's being told to retain possession more and get the ball to those who can create as opposed to trying to create himself?

I've said it plenty of times, it's hard to judge Winks when he's playing in a position that simply won't see the best out of him. He needs to be in a midfield 3 alongside another central midfielder and a defensive midfielder behind them to really flourish in my opinion. I just don't know how many games he starts when everyone is fit. Because Dele and Eriksen are both playing a lot deeper this season and add a lot more to the team.

Ding dong. Good post.

Once again today

Winks forward passes 39/43

Eriksen 29/37

Sissoko 19/25

Like you, I'm not sure where he fits if all are fit and/or we buy a quality midfielder (6 or 8) but he's doing a pretty good job for a kid who's being used in a role that's never been natural really. He's showing up, offering himself up under pressure, seeing shitloads of the ball, trying to look forwards and keeping us moving. For a kid who's had 20 league starts - and is effectively in his first season of proper consecutive games, he's doing a pretty decent job.

Like you, I'm not sure where he fits if all are fit and/or we buy a quality midfielder (6 or 8) but he's doing a pretty good job for a kid who's being used in a role that's never been natural really. He's showing up, offering himself up under pressure, seeing shitloads of the ball, trying to look forwards and keeping us moving. For a kid who's had 20 league starts - and is effectively in his first season of proper consecutive games, he's doing a pretty decent job.

Trying to think of some funky kind of bus analogy... 'Waiting for a one to come along' etc., but:

I'll simply agree.:pochsmirk:

State of this thread over the last couple of weeks (today's match thread also)...

The future > not good enough > The future > not good enough > a gem > shite...

Winsky's put in some blinding performances including numerous against top teams.

That ought to engender belief. So much for being patient and supportive of the lad. Show some balls and get behind him FFS!

Saw this shite coming a mile off in the summer.... :pochunimpressed:
First half today he was fucking brilliant, our little Iniesta

We're stacked with CBs that love a vertical pass or run, yet seem to get plagued with mazey fuckers like Dembele, Parker and (nu) Winks stuck in the way of 'em... Irony.:dembelelol:

p.s. Modric spent half his time here stuck out on the wing too. :dier:

He’s a hard working player albeit technically limited. Still young though and can perhaps improve with coaching but to rely on him as our CM saviour to challenge for the title is ludicrous. People need to be realistic with their expectations

Agree
Plus he can’t defend and that’s why we need Dembele back ASAP or even Dier at least he is tall big bulky

See above, Winks passed it forwards 33% more than Eriksen and 50% more than Sissoko. The long diagonal that a player needs 3 seconds to bring under control and by the time he odes has two blokes up his arse is just about the most overrated pass from a midfielder in football (and most CB's cover this anyway). A 3 yard pass that takes a pressing opponent out the game is much more incisive and useful. As is being able to receive the ball under pressure (something Dier nor Sissoko can do).

If Winks was playing where Sissoko was yesterday I'd be criticising some of his lack of risk taking, but he wasn't, he was playing as the central pivot, his job was to be available to receive the ball from the defenders and team mates playing out and zip it onwards to Eriksen, Sissoko, the FB's and if possible Alli. Which he did, and he does it quickly.

It was Sissoko and Eriksen's job to progress the ball more, take more creative risks, either by passing or moving. These two, especially Sissoko, failed this remit miserably.

I don't think Winks is the next Modric or Iniesta if I'm honest, but he does do what it says on his tin, and we need that right now.

I also don't think Dembele (or definitely not Dier) will solve many of our problems. Dier wouldn't be moving the ball with any more incision or vision. He doesn't want to receive the ball under pressure, so when we are under the press he makes it harder for us to play through it (same Sissoko).

Winks can drop a shoulder and scoot past his man, but unlike Dembele he then passes the ball instead of stopping to beat that man three more times. Neither Dembele or Dier are quick incisive passers. Neither help us transition with tempo.

Going forward I'd really like to see Skipp put in that central role - he's defensively dynamic and more instinctively diligent off the ball than Winks, but also comfortable on the ball and a good economic passer, push Winks where Sissoko is and Eriksen the other side in that CM3.

Going forward I'd really like to see Skipp put in that central role - he's defensively dynamic and more instinctively diligent off the ball than Winks, but also comfortable on the ball and a good economic passer, push Winks where Sissoko is and Eriksen the other side in that CM3.

Sissoko and Eriksen are doing great so they stay, see skipp in the middle and push Winks onto the bench.

BUT for the short term either a fit Dembele, on form Wanyama or even Dier in the central role. All 3 can offer more than Winks (who can't win a ball) and too early for Skipp.

PS, I don't like long posts.

Combination of things I would imagine. Coaching has played a part in it no doubt, and as Totti said the position he's been forced to play in means he's usually the last man before the defence, so he has to be a bit more cautious about his passing.

As well as this though I think self doubt plays a part. Winks is a very confident young man, but I feel sometimes he doesn't posses the arrogance of some of the really top number 8's to take the game by the scruff of the neck, demand the ball and try and create chances himself, which I firmly believe he has the ability to do. Yesterday was a prime example, when it was 1-1, 1-2, he was constantly receiving the ball, but instead of injecting some energy into the game and looking to get forward, every time he just looked for Eriksen or Sissoko to pass on the responsibility.

Coaching can mould you into a fine player, but to become a truly great player personality and mentality plays an even bigger role, Kane being the benchmark in that regard. Whether Winksy posses the mentality to really take his game to the next level is quite debatable IMO, but time is on his side.

Sissoko and Eriksen are doing great so they stay, see skipp in the middle and push Winks onto the bench.

BUT for the short term either a fit Dembele, on form Wanyama or even Dier in the central role. All 3 can offer more than Winks (who can't win a ball) and too early for Skipp.

PS, I don't like long posts.

Winks won the ball more than Sissoko yesterday. He also passed it forwards double what Sissoko did. Sissoko Gave that game absolutely knish. Eriksen is generally great, Sissoko is not.

PS, I don’t like wrong posts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom