Tottenham Hotspur v. Wolverhampton Wanderers: 3pm, Saturday 29th December

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fair response.

For me if we are aiming for top 4 the current squad is fine with the great manager we have, if we are genuinely aiming for the title given the opposition such as Liverpool and City I personally feel we need more and CM strikes me and seemingly many other posters on this forum as an area for improvement given the situation.

Liverpool are richer than us and the last few seasons have spent funds addressing their areas of weakness and done it very well it has to be said. Perhaps we don’t have the money to do this but if that’s the case fans should sometimes then expect these weaknesses to cause issues.

We have played a lot of games in a relatively short period and this is hard. I still feel given the resources if we do get top 4 this season we have done a brilliant job all things considered.

However with the current manager I believe we could with investment win the title if we addressed certain weaknesses, not this season obviously but down the line. I hope the stadium, NFL etc is part of the plan to enable the club to do this.

First off, I'm conscious that you got both barrels in my original post yet aren't a typical proponent of the stuff I'm rallying against, so apologies if you took my venom too personally.

My take in brief:

This squad developed to this level ahead of projected schedule and is not in sync with the financial boost we require from the new stadium to genuinely and assuredly improve it... Add to that the fact the market went crazy post-Neymar and the ever increasing TV money meaning we can't even pluck 'the best of the rest' from the EPL mid-tablers anymore without paying OTT money. I generally think we simply can't afford the level of fee + wages to improve our starting XI; nor similarly improve our bench to the level that the discontents (rightfully or wrongly) demand (i.e. First team calibre players on 1st team wages to gather splinters from week to week).

I don't think the personel here has been maximized or peaked as some have suggested (No reason why the bulk of our players + manager alike can't develop further), but for now our financial clout seemingly has; and has been ever since the spending slowed down post AVB.

It's a quandry and whilst our quest for a big trophy is further muddied by echo's of Spursy (or whatever one prefers to describe it as), the instinctual cries of "buy buy buy" from the same old peeps are simplistic and naive at best.

Big wage hikes for most of our key players this summer was a huge comfort for me (esp. as I think it was a case of needs must rather than it being immediately affordable for us), but personally I don't see the new stadium being a game-changer in terms of acquisitions and huge fees.... It'll help with wages, but that's about it. We'll have to continue to be 'creative' in our spending and transfer strategy.

In terms of fan-to-club harmony, a scenario I see on the horizon that I fear means we won't suddenly find our fan-base on the same page again once we've settle into the new gaff...

Peeps understandably want Kane, Dele, Eriksen etc. here til they retire.... No stars sold = no significant money from sales... BUT.... We don't get to just magically throw say £500m (future money) at buying another generation of elite players when they call it a day so how exactly is it proposed we maintain a squad of this calibre past this particular generation of players?

Of course I want them to stay too, but at the same time no point creaming ourselves about how much our squad is worth or consider it's value a reflection on our spending power unless we're prepared to sell them.

i.e Clubs won't pay £100m+ (in today's money) for Eriksen when he's 32 and beginning to decline physically... He would need to have been sold by the time he reaches his peak... If he retires with us then where does the circa £100m come from to replace him with a player of a surefire equivalent calibre?

Haha I am so surprised about you even having "football passion" in your vocabulary.

You never even write or reflect about what happens on the grass. Never offer your perspective. All you do is throw shit onto the management and repeat your worn out agenda.
In every time of the year.
In every possible topic.
In every possible context.

But specially after something does not go well.
This is your feast that gets you through the times where we do well (like generally the first round / 19 games where we achieved the best amount of points in EPL era - yea, whatta fcking tossers are in the management, they have fcked us over so bad, am I right?)

And such a donkey talks about football passion.
Come on.

So, so true. :adesalute:

...."Passion"? The poisonous cunt just read someone else use the term in a footy argument and thought it sounded legit.

The point isnt that they can play or not play 3 matches in a week. Any fucking idiot can play 3 matches in a week. The point is, can they play 3 matches a week at the same intensity, speed, workrate etc as someone else who has had some extra days of rest? Of course fatigue is an issue, which is why the manager rests some players sometimes because rest helps players recover from the previous match.

When we talk of "fatigue" I tend to equate that more with the mental end of things which is not measurable in the same way physical levels are (the latter of which I tend to assume we've got a good grasp of thanks to all the sports science tech in place)... i.e. If I see someone repeatedly misplacing passes that they'd typically nail 9/10 times, it's likely due to mental tiredness, not physical energy.

I think the sloppiness and 'lack of fight' observed today was likely a case of the above rather than being a case that the lads "didn't give a fuck for the 2nd half"... Not like we were threatening to run rampant before they equalised, just that when another gear was required we just couldn't find it.

I genuinely think we just struggle with expectation.

I think as a club we are excellent at getting a great run of wins under our belt which then puts us in a good position and our eyes start to light up a little bit but when there is a weight of expectation we just sort of crumble.

I genuinely believe if Man City didn't lose their last 2 games and we found ourselves sitting in 3rd, we don't lose this game. But that's just my opinion.

I genuinely think we just struggle with expectation.

I think as a club we are excellent at getting a great run of wins under our belt which then puts us in a good position and our eyes start to light up a little bit but when there is a weight of expectation we just sort of crumble.

I genuinely believe if Man City didn't lose their last 2 games and we found ourselves sitting in 3rd, we don't lose this game. But that's just my opinion.

Aye... Intense schedule has played a part IMO tho'... Fresher heads (fuck their legs, we can measure this) = better focus.

Bit like England... Is it just pan-generational coincidence and still boils down to the individuals or does it run deeper... How do you overcome?

Your critics will say that's Tottenham, falling down just when they look like making a title challenge?

Poch: I don't care about what the people say. I don't care, I cannot control what happens around us. If you see my comment it's always about being humble and to talk with respect about the position and the competition and other teams. We know very well because of the experience if you're not 100 per cent in every single game in the Premier League it can happen. It's not enough to play 60 or 70 minutes, you need to play 95 minutes at your best. Like today we dropped a little bit in our energy and focus and in the last 20 minutes we conceded three goals. That can happen.

That can happen to us, it can happen to Wolves, to Liverpool, it can happen to Manchester City. That is why it's so tough to win the Premier League, because you need to be consistent and today for us it's a clear example that if we are not consistent enough, with not only good quality during the game, and the right energy, it's difficult to compete for big things.

Feel like I've been winded - Hope pooh can patch up the boys mentality and get them focussed on the new year.

....Da fuck use do you expect this geezer to be?

02-winnie-the-pooh.w330.h330.2x.jpg

Ask yourself... What the point of you being here at this juncture?

Unless, despite prior protestation, you actually enjoy shit-stirring; all that's left for you is bickering with people that resent your presence.
I was left here purely for the guy who tried to give me a lecture about Mendes that me and my little club couldn't possibly begin to understand... Its okay I've got to go outside for a piss now anyway and get the logs in ready for the fire... For everyone you look down on there is always someone else looking down on you

Just got back home, the sooner we are out of that cess pit of a Stadium, the better !!

Our performance on the pitch was just shite, Wolves took advantage of that and took their chances. Taking Dele off for me made a difference, he wasnt bossing the game by any means, but he pressurises and harrasses the opposing player. But to take him off and put a winger on, wtf was that about ? A Son change for Moura would have made far more sense.

Anyway,, main reason for the post. What a feckin piss poor performance by our fans in the Stadium.. Well I say Fans, I do wonder if some thought they were going to a Teenie Boppers concert at the Arena and got their dates mixed up. Probably the worst atmosphere I have ever been to at a Spurs game,, shocking. I was in the "Park Lane" end right behind the goal, Row 16,,,, I was the first one standing up !!!!! Unheard of in the Park lane. All 15 Rows in front of me just sitting there, checking their phones, Kids with 15 mins to go reading the Match Program and others pissing off during the match to fetch a Pizza or something. If this is modern day football attendance, then after going for the last 40 years, my days may be numbered. Too many bloody tourists and sightseers. This has pissed me off more than the loss. Hopefully, once we get in NWHL, most of these will disappear, but I do worry. Sorry if that sounds insensitive or not PC enough and everyone should be able to attend etc, but it is killing football.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Hopefully, we will bounce back in the next game, but we just look knackered.

COYS

Agree to a point but sorry to say that even at old whl whilst the atmosphere was better it also wasn't that electric week in week out unless it was a big game. Our fans are generally quiet and more so when things aren't going well or unless we score. Whilst wembley invites large amount of tourists there is plenty of fans there to make noise and you rarely hear them but when they make noise, you can definitely hear it. Agree with ''fans' coming late, going early. It's shit. I hold my piss in until we are a few goals up at least!

Wembley has also allowed me to bring my son to a lot of games this year with having to purchase a seat seperately and getting to sit a bit lower down then my seat up in 551. So I'm a little thankful for that although I do wish we'd been in the new place by now. Performance of the fans may not have been perfect but the team managed fine in recent games there so today was totally on the players.

Last edited:
I was left here purely for the guy who tried to give me a lecture about Mendes that me and my little club couldn't possibly begin to understand...

Which was how long ago?????

It's past midnight... You're still here.

Its okay I've got to go outside for a piss now anyway and get the logs in ready for the fire... For everyone you look down on there is always someone else looking down on you

Have I looked down on you? Implied that you're some kind of inbred bumpkin type? ...No, so spare me that shite.

Again...

Airfixx said:
Ask yourself... What the point of you being here at this juncture?

Unless, despite prior protestation, you actually enjoy shit-stirring; all that's left for you is bickering with people that resent your presence.

Paid the price of not having a stadium today imo. Don't know what it was like there but the crowd seemed dead to me apart from the Wolves fans. Compare it to the Liverpool game and its not that surprising the performance was so flat.

Back
Top Bottom