Tottenham Hotspur v. Wolverhampton Wanderers: 3pm, Saturday 29th December

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That game is SOOOOO bitter pill to swallow.

There are so many things one could blame - injury issues, fatique, squad depth, refereeing decisons etc...
But I really believe it all came down to mentality. We just collapsed mentally.

I mean there was a team, who played really well in 1st half. Wolves did not cause any troubles for us. While in the last 30 minutes of the game, they were two heads above us in every respect. They have had the same challenging schedule in recent past. And injuries (or anything else) did not have their impact during the HT interval. Can I remind you - we made 0 SHOTS DURING 2ND HALF. This is just beyond awful. And when things got out of hands (when they drew or when they took the lead), it was visible how our players dropped their shoulders and basically gave up. There was not a single player on the field who would have had enough fighting spirit to cheer on others. To smack someone across the head. To yell or wake others up. Every single player in last half an hour was a passanger. And this is unacceptable. This fact hurts me so much more than a loss.

If it would have been the case that we created a lot but just failed to convert our chances, or oppo keeper would have had game of his life or smth. But no. We were really poor on 2nd half and unfortunately deserved the loss.

And now Pool has 9 (!) point advantage over us...
Not the end of the world, but with such fashion it is unacceptable to lose!

Where do you go from here
Nice of you to ask us. For me, it’s a couple of new grounds next week: Cardiff and Tranmere. Both grounds your club is quite familiar with. But the ones I’m most looking forward to soon are Chelsea in the LC semi final, Dortmund in the last 16 of the CL, and of course our return to our own new 62,000 stadium at White Hart Lane. Can you remind me where Wolverhampton is and I’ll send you a postcard?

I'm not in denial...

I'm not part of the crew that need reminding of the situation the club operates in on a perpetual fucking basis.

I'm also not deluded enough to think that everything false step this club makes is cos the fanbase are being raped by some kind of parasitic bond villain.

I'm not selectively ignorant to the complexities of the transfer market, squad sizes, supply and demand, homegrown rule etc. etc.

I don't need reminding of where much of our dosh has gone.

...But most importantly i don't pretend to have the magic solution for these occasional shit performances.

If tgat

Fair response.

For me if we are aiming for top 4 the current squad is fine with the great manager we have, if we are genuinely aiming for the title given the opposition such as Liverpool and City I personally feel we need more and CM strikes me and seemingly many other posters on this forum as an area for improvement given the situation.

Liverpool are richer than us and the last few seasons have spent funds addressing their areas of weakness and done it very well it has to be said. Perhaps we don’t have the money to do this but if that’s the case fans should sometimes then expect these weaknesses to cause issues.

We have played a lot of games in a relatively short period and this is hard. I still feel given the resources if we do get top 4 this season we have done a brilliant job all things considered.

However with the current manager I believe we could with investment win the title if we addressed certain weaknesses, not this season obviously but down the line. I hope the stadium, NFL etc is part of the plan to enable the club to do this.

Point blank refuse to blame fatigue and have pointed out that some people do 40 hour working weeks and still spend more time in the gym per week than playing 3 matches
The point isnt that they can play or not play 3 matches in a week. Any fucking idiot can play 3 matches in a week. The point is, can they play 3 matches a week at the same intensity, speed, workrate etc as someone else who has had some extra days of rest? Of course fatigue is an issue, which is why the manager rests some players sometimes because rest helps players recover from the previous match.

That game is SOOOOO bitter pill to swallow.

There are so many things one could blame - injury issues, fatique, squad depth, refereeing decisons etc...
But I really believe it all came down to mentality. We just collapsed mentally.

I mean there was a team, who played really well in 1st half. Wolves did not cause any troubles for us. While in the last 30 minutes of the game, they were two heads above us in every respect. They have had the same challenging schedule in recent past. And injuries (or anything else) did not have their impact during the HT interval. Can I remind you - we made 0 SHOTS DURING 2ND HALF. This is just beyond awful. And when things got out of hands (when they drew or when they took the lead), it was visible how our players dropped their shoulders and basically gave up. There was not a single player on the field who would have had enough fighting spirit to cheer on others. To smack someone across the head. To yell or wake others up. Every single player in last half an hour was a passanger. And this is unacceptable. This fact hurts me so much more than a loss.

If it would have been the case that we created a lot but just failed to convert our chances, or oppo keeper would have had game of his life or smth. But no. We were really poor on 2nd half and unfortunately deserved the loss.

And now Pool has 9 (!) point advantage over us...
Not the end of the world, but with such fashion it is unacceptable to lose!

Yeh it’s a horrible result and performance but we have had a great run which has put us firmly in the running for top 3. We also are quite good at bouncing back from bad results so hopefully back to winning ways soon.

Thanks for educating me I'd no idea about mendes history, because we all still live in fucking terrace houses up here and work down the mines... Your attempt at shaming me and our small time club with your range of vocabulary taken straight from a thesaurus is fantastic... As your finished googling mendes... Google city's owners while your at at and take a "balanced view" by the way I'm on loads of sites including Leicester Huddersfield Cardiff Liverpool and Woolwich and none of them are so far up their own backsides as half of you.. As for mick Mccarthy he was great manager for us and I'd still watch whatever the division and whatever the stadium how about you?,
That's really fucking sad

Crazy that 5 hours later you still haven't got the message, opposition fans aren't welcome, you joined because you thought we would wank off your little club's performance today, and it hasn't happened and isn't going to happen, now jog on.

Okay mate like I say I came on for a balanced view... I personally haven't bragged or give it the big one one... As for dodgy dealings I'm sure you would all take the higher moral ground if someone came in with money... As for being a nothing club yes mate we've done nothing for a long time but check the honours list.. Football started well before Brian Deane scored the first goal in the Premier league, there was football before then
The temerity of a few cunts from your lot coming on here...

You don't know me, but I'm an astro physicist by trade, so I like to think about the football world in galactic terms. It helps me better understand the hierarchy, as it were. If was to think about your club, I would think of Wolves as a rag discarded by Tim Peak after one of his many zero gravity wanks. Not very important, but symbolic of a fleeting and shameful moment in time.

That's really fucking sad

Crazy that 5 hours later you still haven't got the message, opposition fans aren't welcome, you joined because you thought we would wank off your little club's performance today, and it hasn't happened and isn't going to happen, now jog on.
Define little club? Mate give your head a wobble we've been shit for years but a club who were one of the first football league clubs and were the first to win a European game I would not view as small

You don't know me, but I'm an astro physicist by trade, so I like to think about the football world in galactic terms. It helps me better understand the hierarchy, as it were. If was to think about your club, I would think of Wolves as a rag discarded by Tim Peak after one of his many zero gravity wanks. Not very important, but symbolic of a fleeting and shameful moment in time.
Quality

I think Spurs' fans have accepted that 'little' teams like Wolves can DIVE and get soft fouls all day and Spurs legends get booked for real fouls.

Lloris is much worse than Gazza and at fault for all 3 goals. Tottenham have the worst refereeing in the country and the FA definitely do not want a proper title race. Oh Liverpool got 2 pens today, how many have Spurs got all season???

WAKE UP SPURS FANS!

I think what people are alluding to is that Levy & C0 prioritise the commercial aspects of the business rather than strengthening the football team on the pitch.

With a Summer transfer spend of £0.00p it's hard to argue otherwise. Although some still do, of course.

Quite a few of them are blaming fatigue and the busy schedule, i notice. Yet they still refuse to criticise the board for hiding under the bedclothes all summer.

They just keep digging themselves a bigger and bigger hole

But I say it IS fatigue. You're the one saying it isnt.
And part of the reason our players are fatigued and knackered is the boards unwillingness to spend money strengthening our squad in the summer.

I am bit too sad over the result to give very fierce reply.
I would just like to point out that unsurprisingly you came out of the stable and have a field day after our loss... while repeating your agenda about sucky owners. Yet when we do well (and in fact better that we have ever done in EPL!) I see little reckognition...

But 2 things I'd like to point out -
1) Today the very same squad kept Wolves at bay during first 45 mins. And Wolves have had similar tough schedule of games recently. I don't think we can hide behind such excuses.
2) And I would just like to point out that today's situation was really heavily influenced by the ongoing injury crises. I mean it is a stretch to accuse us of too light squad when we currently have to play without THREE CM players - Wanyama, Dembele and Dier. Okay, I agree that Wanyama has been a concern and Dembele cannot play all the games anyway. But that on the SAME MOMENT we have also Dier's issue during which he is sidelined for more time that he has been sidelined during his whole Spurs career?!?
I did some checking, and if Transfermarkt.com injury info is correct than Dembele has been injured 137 days during his Spurs career. And current absence is 71 days long. It will be double the lenght his longest previous injury spell that was 35 days.
Dier's numbers in that regard are even more telling - before his current issue he has been sidelined only for 25 days during his Spurs career (with longest previous one was 14 days). And now? Now he will be out for 29.

I mean there is a line somewhere. Squad can always be deeper, but if you are in situation where 2 out of 5 central midfielders are having their longest ever injury absences at the same (very busy) time while 3rd one just seem to be injured for good. I think this is the one that you cannot fully prepare for.

But that is all about perfect situation. We should be able to win games in imperfect ones as well, but I feel that today our mental strenght (or lack of) did not allow us.

I think Spurs' fans have accepted that 'little' teams like Wolves can DIVE and get soft fouls all day and Spurs legends get booked for real fouls.

Lloris is much worse than Gazza and at fault for all 3 goals. Tottenham have the worst refereeing in the country and the FA definitely do not want a proper title race. Oh Liverpool got 2 pens today, how many have Spurs got all season???

WAKE UP SPURS FANS!
Unsure what your point is? You support Liverpool?

But not our ducking out the transfer window

Transfer window activity is reflected on squad depth, I assumed it is fairly obvious and every person wiht functional reading ability can understand it from there. But I already wrote longer response to you as well.

P.S and congratz for the result, you can have a regular celebration here now. Enjoy it.

WAKE UP SPURS FANS!
I really can't see how you blame Hugo for all 3 goals.
1) A header from 7 yards into the corner = bad marking/blocking/defending. (Maybe,just maybe, he could of came for)
2) A shot from the edge of the box which goes through Toby's legs and sneaks in the very corner of the goal.
3) We get caught on the break, terrible defending by Winks, who didn't know whether to stick or twist and ended up doing neither, leaving a one on one situation which 70% of the time the forward will always score.

P.S and congratz for the result, you can have a regular celebration here now. Enjoy it.
Oh I can assure you I'm fucking devastated with the result, my man. So you can push your false congratulations back up you're sorry fucking arse.
Football (soccer) passion is clearly not something you're familiar with. Win, lose or draw will never affect you in the way it does some of us.. And thank your lucky stars for that

WAKE UP SPURS FANS!
Errr... Nurse!

https://www.google.com/amp/

In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king

Oh I can assure you I'm fucking devastated with the result, my man. So you can push your false congratulations back up you're sorry fucking arse.
Football (soccer) passion is clearly not something you're familiar with. Win, lose or draw will never affect you in the way it does some of us.. And thank your lucky stars for that

Haha I am so surprised about you even having "football passion" in your vocabulary.

You never even write or reflect about what happens on the grass. Never offer your perspective. All you do is throw shit onto the management and repeat your worn out agenda.
In every time of the year.
In every possible topic.
In every possible context.

But specially after something does not go well.
This is your feast that gets you through the times where we do well (like generally the first round / 19 games where we achieved the best amount of points in EPL era - yea, whatta fcking tossers are in the management, they have fcked us over so bad, am I right?)

And such a donkey talks about football passion.
Come on.

Back
Top Bottom