Tottenham Hotspur v. Wolverhampton Wanderers: 3pm, Saturday 29th December

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

3 games in 6 days, injuries, penalty not given and fatigue.

Saying Spurs are bottle jobs when we lose / draw is a complete kop out. Pep has spent half a billion on a £400m team to win 1 x League and 1 x League Cup, are Man City not bottlers? Klopp has spent £400m to win 0 trophies, is he not a bottler?

We exceed expectations every season under Poch and realistically at the begining of the season how many Spurs fans would have put as down as genuine title contenders? I really want a trophy this season and top 4 to bring Champions League to our new stadium (if that doen't happen this season). Realstically the trophy would either be League Cup or F.A Cup.

Today we were dissapointing but thanks to the F.A's great game scheduling we've only got a few days until we get the chance to make up for it

Nope, today was about getting beaten in central midfield. Because our central midfielders have played 4 games in 10 days. They were knackered.

You choose to return from the bin to dig them out for their heroic efforts.

You turdnuggget.

They were knackered just in this game and not in any of the others? What about their players did they not play over the Christmas period? Heroic efforts? We just lost 1-3 at home to Wolves, now I know you are taking the piss.

The manager could have used Skipp more if he felt the CMs were too fatigued.

Question is whether he feels Skipp would be good enough (and I mean that in terms of experience as well) for this situation .

With Dembele getting on, Wanyama permanently injured and Dier out our CM area is totally reliant on Sissoko and Winks and with the amount of games we play that is hard.

Where did it go wrong? Starting 11 was very strong.
Ironically, the strong lineup may have been part of the problem (and I say that as someone who was happy to see such a strong lineup when it was posted).

Skipp and Lucas would have been fresher and the momentum may have kept in our favour if they'd started. We'll never know though.

Edit:

With Dembele getting on, Wanyama permanently injured and Dier out our CM area is totally reliant on Sissoko and Winks and with the amount of games we play that is hard.
We're one injury away from a crisis with those two. Was shitting myself when Sissoko was on the deck in the first ten minutes.

I could see Wolves having 6 players around our penalty area before they equalised, Poch didn't see that to bring on a defender Foyth for who can not defend Winks. Specsaver.

He’s had a elite side for four seasons John - he just hasn’t the required ability at this level. If you can’t win silverware with the likes of Kane, Ali, Eriksen to name a few you are not going to win it with anyone else. As I have said time and time again it’s the Redknapp era all over again and deep down you all know I’m right on this.
Deep down, I know you're wrong. And that's the truth.
If, God forbid , Poch does go to Man Utd, I'd put my mortgage on him winning the title within 3 years.

3 games in 6 days, injuries, penalty not given and fatigue.

Saying Spurs are bottle jobs when we lose / draw is a complete kop out. Pep has spent half a billion on a £400m team to win 1 x League and 1 x League Cup, are Man City not bottlers? Klopp has spent £400m to win 0 trophies, is he not a bottler?

We exceed expectations every season under Poch and realistically at the begining of the season how many Spurs fans would have put as down as genuine title contenders? I really want a trophy this season and top 4 to bring Champions League to our new stadium (if that doen't happen this season). Realstically the trophy would either be League Cup or F.A Cup.

Today we were dissapointing but thanks to the F.A's great game scheduling we've only got a few days until we get the chance to make up for it

The bottle job tag is stupid, particularly considering how it is never applied to teams who fuck up with greater resources.

To many games and not enough depth in key areas, nothing more.

Still a long way to the finish line

But you still as a team have to clear these first...

374F498F00000578-3744844-Julmis_falls_flat_on_his_back_with_his_arms_outstretched_as_he_g-a-133_1471425163360.jpg

Lot of shit being spouted here about team selection and individual performances.

Poch picked his strongest side, as he as well as us knew we might have a sniff of the league title. Disappointing not to go in at HT more than one up. No stand out good performance from the first half, just doing enough.

Second half was fucking shocking. Everyone in a white shirt was poor - don’t understand the stick Winks has received here. Looked bereft of ideas and energy. We hardly mustered a shot after HT. it wasn’t a masterclass in coaching from the Wolves manager. It was old fashioned guts, spirit and desire from their players, who knew they were still in the game at 0-1 and scented blood at 1-1.

Why couldn’t we respond? Why did we get ourselves into this situation?

None of us in the forum know the mentality of the squad or individual players. It hurts us when we lose like this and it feels personal. So our when we allege that the club/players we support have bottled it or reverted to bring ‘Spursy’ its more of an emotional response..,,

However....

We do have a worrying knack of choking, flapping and slipping up when the pressure comes on.

Not sure what , if anything, can be done about it tbh

Depressing really

Well now I'm back in the "I hope the scousers stuff the scum this evening camp", having briefly thought we might, just might, have the cojones to give the dippers a run for the title.

Last edited:
What's so weird about it is that you don't have to be a card carrying Football Man to know that Wolves are one of the teams in the Premier League you don't sit back on a one goal lead against. Given our record of throwing away leads this season we shouldn't be comfortable with leading by one goal against anyone, but Wolves have shown repeatedly that they are good at getting back into games.

I dunno if this was poor preparation (which would surprise me, because how to approach this was really obvious) or the players being spent after scoring eleven goals in the space of a few days (which seems more likely to me). It was a complete nightmare of a performance from top to bottom, though.
I think fatigue may have been in the mind of the players just as much as the legs, and thus we sat back and tried to coast. This team has continuously shown though that we simply do not have the quality in the centre of the park to play the game like this. The minute we sat off in the second half Neves and Moutinho began to run the show and our midfield couldn't get near the ball.

Back
Top Bottom