Tottenham Hotspur v. Wolverhampton Wanderers: 3pm, Saturday 29th December

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If you don't laugh, you'll cry.

First chance all season to narrow a gap to 3 points to the top. Opportunity to go an extra 3 points clear of City, Woolwich, Chelsea and United before they've even played. Go a goal up against Wolves and in an instant we throw it all away. At the first hurdle.

It's so typically Tottenham. We built ourselves up for it. We were all so happy when City dropped 6 points and we ended up overtaking them. Only to now realise Liverpool will go 10 points clear of them tonight and their nearest challengers in the league just lost at home to Wolves 3-1.

Just can't quite seem to reach the summit.....cant say that we haven't had our chances to apply pressure at the top over the last few seasons..... Just can't quite reach it.

Players are probably knackered.... We don't have the huge squad to be able to handle this many games in such a short space of time..... Add the injuries together and you're going to get days like today.

Hope no one forgets how awesome we've been to even be in this situation.

That was seriously a horrible performance, absolutely horrible.

Players walking around the whole second half and once they scored you could see that another was coming, the whole walking about into position with their heads down.

We’re not a title contender and today proved that. First time we’ve lost to a newly promoted team in 6 years and once again we lose a game from a winning position, it’s becoming a bit of a habit. We seem to seriously crumble when a team equalises, it’s happened against
- Inter, 2 goals in the last 5 mins
- Watford, 2 goals in quick succession
- Woolwich, 3 goals in 15-20 mins
- Wolves, 3 goals in 10 mins

Really concerning to be honest, we seem to score late goals to win but when we’re on the recieving end we crumble. Defending set pieces have been our problem this season.

Also Lloris should’ve definitely done better on the first goal and perhaps even the second.

I know everyone is super pissed off about this, but try to have a little perspective on this.

There are 18 games and 54 points left for the taking. Simce the beginning of November we have taken wins from 8 out of our last 10 PL games, and qualified for the CL round of 16.

The team have played their hearts out, and they ran out of gas today. Every team has their bad day, this was ours. We will respond, it isn't over yet.

Of course it is. And as I said, that's on Levy & C0

Poch deserves just as much blame.

He can't just pull out Skipps name, say how he plays mature and is ready to step in when players need a rest and then simply not start him (or even bring him on today when it was clear we needed fresh numbers in midfield).

That Lucas sub for Dele is one of the worst I've seen him make. Oddly, most in here wanted it.

Winks has just missed Sissoko from 7 yards. He has been utter dogshit today and not much better in the games previously. Not living up to the promise when given his chance. Perhaps bringing on Skipp to assist him instead of Moura was the call. We weren't having any of the ball anyway to get it forward.

Not sure how anyone watches that performance and singles Winks out for criticism over Sissoko, who offered absolutely nothing for 95 minutes.

What was his role today? Who fucking knows? Does he?

Winks role was just to mind the middle and keep us ticking (which he did seeing a shitload of the ball - more than anyone else), both Eriksen and Sissoko where supposed to be the 8’s linking the attack, both were worse than Winks at their remits, but at least Eriksen saw a shitload more of the ball and tried. Sissoko did fuck all.

I love Winks, but he's not running forward, not passing forward. Always to side or back. Defensively not good enough, with DM he's okay, but like this, it's not working.

It seemed like Poch didnt expect Wolves to stay compact with 8 or 9 players around their halves.
Our players looked confused how to deal with it and end up making a lot of miss passes.
I didnt saw a 3-1 tbh, but i sense trouble with the way we are passing.

And wtf do we not have Llorente when Kane clearly dont fancy staying inside the box.

Absolutely. Anyone who thinks we're good enough to win the league after this game is deluded. Wolves are decent which is why it is so unforgivable that we let them back in. At 1-0 up we should kill the game. Instead we were lazy and that told Wolves they could get back into it. Stupid as fuck, the worst performance under Poch in my opinion, maybe not footballing wise but in terms of mentality for sure.
It was almost eerily similar to that Watford away game, really.

Alas, we seem to have 'that' mid-game capitulation up our sleeves. Less so than we used to, and fortunately a rarity, but it's there.

just how average did they look?

open your eyes, that is not some collection of agricultural pub team players
They are an average squad, and the results show it. City were shit that game in the same way that we were in the second half, not that Leicester or Wolves were are real quality squad.

He’s had a elite side for four seasons John - he just hasn’t the required ability at this level. If you can’t win silverware with the likes of Kane, Ali, Eriksen to name a few you are not going to win it with anyone else. As I have said time and time again it’s the Redknapp era all over again and deep down you all know I’m right on this.
It goes all the way to the top though Levy is perfectly happy for a 4th/3rd place finish as long as we keep qualfying for the champions league and keep the money coming in all is fine.

We could go the next 10 years without winning anything and the next and all would be fine if we keep the money coming in.

Trippier and winks were the poorest for me today.

Does it matter?

Team game and so we win and lose as one.

Painful because it should be.

We have been brilliant of late and Wolves caught us and took advantage of a poor day.

It's just always likely to happen to us that is the worst thing. Or at least you always feel it will happen.

Back
Top Bottom