Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This man is dragging a lot of very average players (because of current injuries) towards the top of the table. We are so lucky to have him here, with no sign of him wanting to move on.

I hope Poch and the team don’t get slaughtered if we lose to Chelsea or Woolwich, or if we go out of the CL. It’s amazing we are in the top 4 to be fair.

Levy needs to back him without fail January, if he had spent some bloody money where could we be now? On no transfer funds whatsoever we are 2 points off the top!

Poch deserves some silverware, fingers crossed we win something very bloody soon! COYS
Good point . But levy won’t back him , because we won’t sign anyone of any relevance if at all in January

This man is dragging a lot of very average players (because of current injuries) towards the top of the table. We are so lucky to have him here, with no sign of him wanting to move on.

I hope Poch and the team don’t get slaughtered if we lose to Chelsea or Woolwich, or if we go out of the CL. It’s amazing we are in the top 4 to be fair.

Levy needs to back him without fail January, if he had spent some bloody money where could we be now? On no transfer funds whatsoever we are 2 points off the top!

Poch deserves some silverware, fingers crossed we win something very bloody soon! COYS

A million times over, our squad IMO is the 5/6 best in the league and we get 2-4th each season again and again against other top teams and managers, we won’t be getting a better manager than Poch any time soon.

With a stronger squad we would challenge for the league and CL of that I am sure.

A million times over, our squad IMO is the 5/6 best in the league and we get 2-4th each season again and again against other top teams and managers, we won’t be getting a better manager than Poch any time soon.

With a stronger squad we would challenge for the league and CL of that I am sure.

5/6th best in the league?! Oh please we have one the best in the league and have done for the last 3 seasons. The monetary value of the squad is always a key indicator of the talent available and when independent third parties have us only second to City that tells you everything.

Premier League news: Man City and Tottenham have Europe's most valuable squads | Goal.com

This whole notion that Poch is overperforming with this group of players is complete nonsense. If anything there is more truth in the view that he is not maximising what he has given the absence of silverware.

This whole notion that Poch is overperforming with this group of players is complete nonsense. If anything there is more truth in the view that he is not maximising what he has given the absence of silverware.

Come on even by your derisory standards this is ridiculous, surely you understand he is a major reason why we have a squad of such high value?

Come on even by your derisory standards this is ridiculous, surely you understand he is a major reason why we have a squad of such high value?

Yes - we have a group of highly talented individuals that attract high market values much of which was assembled prior to his arrival. Oh no doubt you will try to claim that this is all down to Poch and just ignore the likes of Jansen, Stambouli, GKN, Wimmer, Llorente,Aurier, Njie, Sissoko which doesn’t fit that narrative.

Yes - we have a group of highly talented individuals that attract high market values much of which was assembled prior to his arrival. Oh no doubt you will try to claim that this is all down to Poch and just ignore the likes of Jansen, Stambouli, GKN, Aurier, Njie, Sissoko which doesn’t fit that narrative.

What I will say is take a look at the players who were with him this summer not at World Cup, Lamela, Sissoko, Aurier, Foyth, lucas, all playing better than last year, because he could focus on them more, I know others have not worked out but it’s on them not him, there is no team out there with perfect transfer record, Chelsea let Salah and De Bruyne walk out the door.

If he was perfect everyone who walked in would become 50-150m. That’s not real, but the cost compared to market value he has helped generate is incredible really

5/6th best in the league?! Oh please we have one the best in the league and have done for the last 3 seasons. The monetary value of the squad is always a key indicator of the talent available and when independent third parties have us only second to City that tells you everything.

Premier League news: Man City and Tottenham have Europe's most valuable squads | Goal.com

Transfermarkt has Spurs 8th which seems a lot more realistic. And even then you're ignoring the fact that a big chunk of their value is what Poch has got out of them. Who have we sold since 2014 that has gone on to perform better than for us?
Most valuable clubs

What I will say is take a look at the players who were with him this summer not at World Cup, Lamela, Sissoko, Aurier, Foyth, lucas, all playing better than last year, because he could focus on them more, I know others have not worked out but it’s on them not him, there is no team out there with perfect transfer record, Chelsea let Salah and De Bruyne walk out the door.

If he was perfect everyone who walked in would become 50-150m. That’s not real, but the cost compared to market value he has helped generate is incredible really

Is it a great surprise that last seasons fringe players are playing better with a run of games in the side? Really?

Right so let me get this straight he should take the credit for the likes of Kane, Toby Ali but not for any of the failures? Right oh. The point was to highlight that such talent will always shine through - it’s like trying to claim Redknapp was responsible for Modric and Bale.

Last edited:
Transfermarkt has Spurs 8th which seems a lot more realistic. And even then you're ignoring the fact that a big chunk of their value is what Poch has got out of them. Who have we sold since 2014 that has gone on to perform better than for us?
Most valuable clubs

8th in Europe, 4th in England with barely anything between us and Chelsea and Liverpool. So proving my point exactly. Again we have one of the best squads in the league and both articles back that up.

From Football365...
Tottenham, grinding it out
Honestly, I get it. I understand that every time you praise Mauricio Pochettino a raft of replies must follow sarcastically asking what he has won. That’s despite Chelsea and Manchester City being the only English clubs to win a trophy last season, and despite both of those clubs having far greater budgets than Tottenham. Oh, and it’s despite Tottenham finishing in the top three in each of the last three seasons, something no other club can match. There is apparently a new law where managers can only be praised for winning trophies. Maurizio Sarri, Eddie Howe, Chris Hughton et al will be furious. Sorry lads, you know the rules.

I understand too that it must lead to replies from Woolwich supporters saying that Arsene Wenger was criticised for doing the same in the late 2010s. That’s an argument that ignores several things: 1) Wenger wasn’t really criticised for that; the criticism came later. 2) That Woolwich period came after competing for titles, whereas Pochettino took over from Tim Sherwood. 3) There is far more competition at the top of the Premier League than ever. The rich got richer and further ringfenced their cabal.

Tottenham have now enjoyed their best ever start to a Premier League season, despite the stadium farce, a lack of any transfers over the summer and an injury crisis fuelled by fatigue. Tottenham had more representatives in the World Cup semi-finals than any other club in the world, and less depth than any other club in the top six. What’s more, Tottenham have now won five straight away league games, 11 of their last 14 and over the last nine months only Manchester City have a higher points-per-game total away from home.

Nothing epitomises Tottenham’s rise in fortunes under Pochettino, a manager who is now responsible for more than a quarter of his club’s away wins in Premier League history, than the anger praise of him provokes. A Tottenham manager is actually getting flak for his side’s display during an away win. Questions are being asked of Tottenham’s ability to stay ahead of Manchester United, a club that has a net spend £435m higher than them since Pochettino took over. Take a step back and appreciate that. Those saying ‘but how many trophies’ are either being wilfully blind or wilfully obtuse.

From Football365...
Tottenham, grinding it out
Honestly, I get it. I understand that every time you praise Mauricio Pochettino a raft of replies must follow sarcastically asking what he has won. That’s despite Chelsea and Manchester City being the only English clubs to win a trophy last season, and despite both of those clubs having far greater budgets than Tottenham. Oh, and it’s despite Tottenham finishing in the top three in each of the last three seasons, something no other club can match. There is apparently a new law where managers can only be praised for winning trophies. Maurizio Sarri, Eddie Howe, Chris Hughton et al will be furious. Sorry lads, you know the rules.

I understand too that it must lead to replies from Woolwich supporters saying that Arsene Wenger was criticised for doing the same in the late 2010s. That’s an argument that ignores several things: 1) Wenger wasn’t really criticised for that; the criticism came later. 2) That Woolwich period came after competing for titles, whereas Pochettino took over from Tim Sherwood. 3) There is far more competition at the top of the Premier League than ever. The rich got richer and further ringfenced their cabal.

Tottenham have now enjoyed their best ever start to a Premier League season, despite the stadium farce, a lack of any transfers over the summer and an injury crisis fuelled by fatigue. Tottenham had more representatives in the World Cup semi-finals than any other club in the world, and less depth than any other club in the top six. What’s more, Tottenham have now won five straight away league games, 11 of their last 14 and over the last nine months only Manchester City have a higher points-per-game total away from home.

Nothing epitomises Tottenham’s rise in fortunes under Pochettino, a manager who is now responsible for more than a quarter of his club’s away wins in Premier League history, than the anger praise of him provokes. A Tottenham manager is actually getting flak for his side’s display during an away win. Questions are being asked of Tottenham’s ability to stay ahead of Manchester United, a club that has a net spend £435m higher than them since Pochettino took over. Take a step back and appreciate that. Those saying ‘but how many trophies’ are either being wilfully blind or wilfully obtuse.
Does Danny Kelly still have anything to do with Football365? If he does, he sure as shit told someone to write that. :tobyarm:

Back
Top Bottom