Tottenham v Man.City 29/10/18

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just got in and reflecting on the game, thought it was our best performance tonight so far this season. We definitely deserved one point at least. Horrendous mistake by Tripps for their goal. Thought Davy had a great game, also Erik ran his heart out, so unlucky not to score. Ben had one of his better games and Sissoko (apart from one real howler) had a good game too. Ref and linesmen were pretty crap, but I know I'm biased. Had to put up with a bloke behind me going on and on and on about how much better City were. I got so fed up with it that I asked him who he actually supported. That shut him up.
Is it wrong of me to wish we hadn't played so well but managed to get a result instead? Suppose I should be happy that they didn't embarrass us, which is what I was expecting, if truth be told.

Stats show Kieran Trippier off as a creative god. In reality, he is not.

Just a hand in 5 league goals last season. One more than Serge Aurier (in 500+ more minutes) and 1 less than Walker (in 700+ less minutes).

Serge Aurier started in 16 league games last season and we conceded 12 goals.
Kieran Trippier started in 21 league games last season and we conceded 21 goals.

I'm not really sure I can agree that Aurier is bang average in middle and forward areas. What I do know is that he's much better in defensive areas.

I personally have no idea why Poch aims to go with Trippier over Aurier - so I assume it's because he works hard, has improved considerably and Poch rewards that.

Creatively it’s not even close:

FJoo4rO.jpg

There’s the reason right there, it’s not even close, especially when you factor in that Aurier has had some defensively atrocious games too. It’s really not that hard to figure it, if you’re being objective.

I said pre match, I’d have played Aurier tonight in a back 4, because I think what’s the point of Aurier if not in these circumstances, because it’s only on a night like this where we will be more pragmatic and be up against a quick and double pronged right side attack that Aurier would make more sense, and Trippier played in Holland on Wednesday. But I guess that’s how little confidence Poch has in Aurier, and I can understand why to a degree.

FJoo4rO.jpg

There’s the reason right there, it’s not even close, especially when you factor in that Aurier has had some defensively atrocious games too. It’s really not that hard to figure it, if you’re being objective.

I said pre match, I’d have played Aurier tonight in a back 4, because I think what’s the point of Aurier if not in these circumstances, because it’s only on a night like this where we will be more pragmatic and be up against a quick and double pronged right side attack that Aurier would make more sense, and Trippier played in Holland on Wednesday. But I guess that’s how little confidence Poch has in Aurier, and I can understand why to a degree.

Again, stats over substance.

Stats like that "prove" that Ben Davies is the best left back in the Premier League. Stats like that "prove" that Pascal Gross is more creative than Christian Eriksen or that there isn't a more creative central midfielder in the Premier League than Cesc Fabregas.

FJoo4rO.jpg

The game is played on grass, not paper.

Again, stats over substance.

Stats like that "prove" that Ben Davies is the best left back in the Premier League. Stats like that "prove" that Pascal Gross is more creative than Christian Eriksen or that there isn't a more creative central midfielder in the Premier League than Cesc Fabregas.

No they don’t say that, they don’t tell a whole story and they are not trying to, but they aren’t biased either, or bent round a personal opinion.

Trippier does some things very well, better than Walker and Aurier, as I said, it’s about compromise, it always is for most of our players - I’m not blind to Trippiers weaknesses, but to deny his strengths is is either blindness or bias.

No they don’t say that, they don’t tell a whole story and they are not trying to, but they aren’t biased either, or bent round a personal opinion.

Trippier does some things very well, better than Walker and Aurier, as I said, it’s about compromise, it always is for most of our players - I’m not blind to Trippiers weaknesses, but to deny his strengths is is either blindness or bias.

Well... yes, yes they do. But as we know, stats can mean fuck all when your eyes do the seeing.

I'm not ignoring Trippiers strengths. Like I said, his technique has got him this far, not his overall game. I would put him behind Walker and Aurier. In terms of overall ability, athleticism, physicality anyway. Don't need stats to change my mind.

You rate him. I don't. Let's just leave it at that.

Last edited:
Watching the game now and that goal is purely on Tripps. You don’t send that back to Hugo.

That hit by Harry afterwards...I like that since we haven’t seen many early hits from Harry this year.

Good opening 10 sans that mental lapse.

Lamela has been bright. Same with Sissoko.

Davies and Tripps are not my fave
The thing is the way we played now are making Kane isolated often being marked by more than one guy and nobody inside the box.
Thats why there is practically no chance for him to get an early shot or long range.
When Dele comes in now, i hope it would be different in a lot of good way.

Def looked jagged and a bit slow now though.

City were better but not by so much last night. Spendiola showed us some respect.

Their central defenders and Fernandinho were a difficult nut to crack and we fluffed our best chances. They are not unbeatable though.

We were good and I think with a fully fit Eriksen and Alli we would have posed them more problems but maybe been more open so in some regards it was the right type of personnel but not quite with enough composure and quality.

The one thing again that really needs rectifying is up top. Kane is excellent but is one striker. Give him an actual striking partner and us another striking option FFS.

And part of that has to be on Pochettino for me as much as he is reliant on Levy.

Winks got embarrassed by Man City last season. He's dreadful without the ball. Dembele and Sissoko offer much more than him without the ball and considering City are likely to have most of the possession, I can understand why Winks hasn't been picked.

Eriksen not starting is a surprise though. We MAY just have a pretty decent line up against West Ham at this rate, which is a positive.
Winks played a very good game imo and we looked a far better team with him on the pitch. Moved it far quicker, far more urgency.

Last season we were ALL embarrassed by City.

Judging by the amount of tourists in there tonight, more and more season ticket holders are staying away as the season progresses.

I don’t know if they stayed behind after the NFL finished last night, but there was hell of a lot of yanks present. Had to endure some young bloke behind asking his female friends why there was a Manchester United and a Manchester City. :avbfacepalm:

To be fair, though, he was calling the umpire a cunt by the end. :bentley:

Can’t be arsed to dissect the game, gotta be up at six. :harrysmile:

I swore to myself I wouldn’t go and see us in the prem until we’re back at WHL, after that shitshow against Liverpool. Fucking hate Wembley.

Back
Top Bottom