Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Please explain. You get 25 slots in the CL, only 17 of which can be over-age foreign trained. We're already at that cap, so if one comes in, someone gets squeezed out.
Including Janssen Lamela and Moura we have 21 non HG players in CL rules.
2 will have to get squeezed out of last years seventeen to accommodate Moura and Lamela
So if we sign another non HG then we will have to lose 3 if including him
A minimum of two keepers.
8 spaces for club and association trained players 4 maximum of Association.
Last year

Goalkeepers Lloris, Vorm, Gazzaniga. Defenders Trippier*, Aurier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Sánchez, Foyth, Rose**, Davies. Midfielders Dier, Dembélé, Wanyama, Eriksen, Sissoko, Nkoudou. Forwards Kane**, Alli*, Son, Llorente
** club trained
* association trained
NB – Winks will be club trained this season, not unlimited U21
So we will have 3 places left for HG , 2 who can be association trained.

Note You can change 3 players if you reach KO stages, but you still can only have 17 non Hg players.

From 1st Feb last season we were at our maximum quota - with Janssen and N'Koudou out on loan, Sanchez also counted as u21. Davies counts as foreign trained for CL. So we've gone from maximum possible squad with everyone accounted for to adding 3 players that need to be registered in both comps.

My maths above is out by one in both scenarios, but the point stands.

Well Janssen and N'Koudou can fuck off, neither one would ever play in the Champions League anyway.

But I guess the point is, adding home growns or u21's or any of the other categories doesn't really enter into it. The problem is that we're up against the cap of over age foreign-trained, a problem which is always going to be one spot more acute in the CL because Davies doesn't count.

A Grealish or Cook can walk into the squad without creating ADDITIONAL problems, but they wouldn't SOLVE any problems created by also signing another over age foreign trained player. If we sign a foreign guy, someone is getting squeezed out, in addition to whoever has gotten squeezed out by Sanchez aging into the senior squad.

Llorente and Sissoko. Sorted.

The rule, specifically is:

25 players, 8 of which must have been trained by clubs from the same national league, with 4 from the club own youth system.​

Our CL squad for 17/18 was (HG in bold and Spurs youth in bold italics):

Lloris, Vorm, Gazzaniga, Whiteman, Trippier, Rose, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Aurier, Davies, Walker-Peters, Lamela, Wanyama, Dier, Sissoko, Dembele, Alli, Eriksen, Lucas Moura, Winks, Amos, Georgiou, Oakley-Boothe, Heung-min Son, Llorente, Sterling, Kane

Is that right?

If so, we have 10 players trained by clubs in the same national league, 8 of whom came from our youth system.

Seems like we have some wriggle room.

You are looking at it the wrong way round, the issue isn't the number of home grown players we can name, it's the number of foreign trained players we can't name.

Lloris, Vorm, Gazzaniga, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Aurier, Davies, Lamela, Wanyama, Dier, Sissoko, Dembele, Eriksen, Lucas Moura, Heung-min Son, Llorente, Janssen, N'Koudou

= 19, you can have max 17, add to that Foyth also doesn't count as home grown for CL
So if we sign someone without selling someone we have to leave 4 out

Including Janssen Lamela and Moura we have 21 non HG players in CL rules.
2 will have to get squeezed out of last years seventeen to accommodate Moura and Lamela
So if we sign another non HG then we will have to lose 3 if including him
A minimum of two keepers.
8 spaces for club and association trained players 4 maximum of Association.
Last year

Goalkeepers Lloris, Vorm, Gazzaniga. Defenders Trippier*, Aurier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Sánchez, Foyth, Rose**, Davies. Midfielders Dier, Dembélé, Wanyama, Eriksen, Sissoko, Nkoudou. Forwards Kane**, Alli*, Son, Llorente
** club trained
* association trained
NB – Winks will be club trained this season, not unlimited U21
So we will have 3 places left for HG , 2 who can be association trained.

Note You can change 3 players if you reach KO stages, but you still can only have 17 non Hg players.
What we need is a young English club trained 3rd keeper... Too bad we don't have anyone like that.

Is that the one called Giapettis or something like that and they make their own ice cream?

Going there later today with a couple of old friends, one of whom has sadly developed Alzheimer’s

However bad I feel about anything now I put it all into perspective when I think about the challenges facing his wife when he doesn’t recognise her and attacks her
I know cancer is the pits but this shit runs it close!

He remembers trivia though and I had him chanting COYS in a bar in Kelso last night at some Rangers fans who just laughed as they knew him
(So no stabbing)

Apologies for going off topic
Na it was a chippy called Mackay's. Seemed to be the busiest one. Just had another fish supper for lunch today in Seahouses. It was fucken top notch. Up there with the Anstruther supper. Now I'm lying on the beach at Bamburgh like a fucken whale surround by English folk drinking and building sand castles.

Enjoy Eyemouth. And don't worry about Kelso huns. I'm sure they're pussy cats when confronted by a cue ball in a sock. No voting British cunts that they are

We paid a combined £30m for them, no way Levy will just say 'you can fuck off'

Well, they're getting left off the Champions League squad either way, so they're pretty well irrelevant to this discussion. As is Gazzaniga.

Lloris, Vorm, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth, Aurier, Davies, Lamela, Wanyama, Dier, Sissoko, Dembele, Eriksen, Moura, Son, Llorente

17 players for 17 spots. So if someone comes in, another must get squeezed out. If anyone is injured it's an easy decision. If CCV breaks into the squad then Foyth is an obvious choice. If we swap Toby for Martial then Llorente becomes an obvious choice.

It's a tricky situation, no question. But it's not some transfer-embargoing rubik's cube.

Well, they're getting left off the Champions League squad either way, so they're pretty well irrelevant to this discussion. As is Gazzaniga.

Lloris, Vorm, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth, Aurier, Davies, Lamela, Wanyama, Dier, Sissoko, Dembele, Eriksen, Moura, Son, Llorente

17 players for 17 spots. So if someone comes in, another must get squeezed out. If anyone is injured it's an easy decision. If CCV breaks into the squad then Foyth is an obvious choice. If we swap Toby for Martial then Llorente becomes an obvious choice.

It's a tricky situation, no question. But it's not some transfer-embargoing rubik's cube.

If we sign Grealish and Zaha we improve the first team and aren't forced to sell or loan anyone on the cheap.

If we sign Grealish and Zaha we improve the first team and aren't forced to sell or loan anyone on the cheap.

Hey, makes perfect sense to me, let's go do it.

But even if we sign both of those players, we would still be in a squeeze to additionally sign a foreign player.

And of course this is all unrelated to what has everyone freaked out, which is selling from our jammed-up list of 17 and not replacing them at all.

That was only a boat. This is what I call a yacht:
luxury-yacht-owned-by-billionaire-joe-lewis-docked-in-the-thames-near-C8XRMA.jpg

How many N'koudous does that yatch worth?

No but we’d need to meet Zaha wages which will be £6m per year.
We will have to sell or loan but there doesn’t seem to be much interest in Janssen, Nkoudo, Llorente. Dembele has rejected 2 moves, apparently.
Although Janssen is nowhere to be seen, hopefully somethings going on there.

Back
Top Bottom