Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

tumblr_mf2kafjsm11qkysqho1_500.gif

tumblr_mf2kafjsm11qkysqho2_500.gif

Is there any hope that we could end up reigniting our interest in Ryan Sessegnon?

Fulham have spent a lot of money with no real outgoings so far. Didn't they sign a left-back from Nice?

Just a thought.

CB.

But I imagine he will be playing as a winger anyway.

I'm pretty convinced that most of this "HG is hindering us" stuff is complete made up bollocks, mainly because it hasn't been mentioned for a single other club in Europe as far as I can see. It's another pseudo-knowledgeable sounding excuse, like those that say "City and United have to do their business first" or cite changing Euro-Pound-Yen exchange rates.

Put it this way, if we were offered say Modric for €8 million and reasonable wages, a VDV style deal out of nowhere, do you seriously think we wouldn't find a way round this rule? And if we did knock it back based on this HG rubbish, would you not expect people near and far, the majority of our fans among them, to fall over laughing/combust in rage at how pathetic we had just been?

It's total bollocks. So one guy has to sit out the Champions League group stages, who cares?

So who’s to blame Pochettino or Levy.
Sound like Levy backing the manager.
:levyeyes:

No one knows what goes on behind closed doors. I never believe this "I know someone who knows xyz and he said........................... (Enter bullshit). I trust poch but levy has a history of working like this so who do we think is to blame. Yet again everything is done late. Even tho we have champs league football on offer we still dont use this to our advantage. Fucking do something levy!

I'm pretty convinced that most of this "HG is hindering us" stuff is complete made up bollocks, mainly because it hasn't been mentioned for a single other club in Europe as far as I can see. It's another pseudo-knowledgeable sounding excuse, like those that say "City and United have to do their business first" or cite changing Euro-Pound-Yen exchange rates.

Put it this way, if we were offered say Modric for €8 million and reasonable wages, a VDV style deal out of nowhere, do you seriously think we wouldn't find a way round this rule? And if we did knock it back based on this HG rubbish, would you not expect people near and far, the majority of our fans among them, to fall over laughing/combust in rage at how pathetic we had just been?

Well it has been mentioned actually, specifically for Chelsea, which is why they are repeatedly linked to same players as us.

It's also precisely why they signed Rob Green and United signed Lee Grant.

It's total bollocks. So one guy has to sit out the Champions League group stages, who cares?

It's a little bit more acute than that - if we signed an over 21 year old foreign trained player we'd have to leave out 4 players from our PL squad and 5 players from our CL squad.

In short, we aren't going to sign a foreign trained player without selling at least one......all links to a player not trained in England are complete bollocks

Well it has been mentioned actually, specifically for Chelsea, which is why they are repeatedly linked to same players as us.

It's also precisely why they signed Rob Green and United signed Lee Grant.
Which brings me back to the point I made earlier (again, without giving credence to SC's claims re: Martial): if we've allowed our HG quota to get so out of shape that it's preventing us signing affordable, quality non-HG players, then it's a massive fuck-up on our part.

It's a little bit more acute than that - if we signed an over 21 year old foreign trained player we'd have to leave out 4 players from our PL squad and 5 players from our CL squad.

Please explain. You get 25 slots in the CL, only 17 of which can be over-age foreign trained. We're already at that cap, so if one comes in, someone gets squeezed out.

Which brings me back to the point I made earlier (again, without giving credence to SC's claims re: Martial): if we've allowed our HG quota to get so out of shape that it's preventing us signing affordable, quality non-HG players, then it's a massive fuck-up on our part.

Agreed - but nearly all of the teams around us struggle to meet it as well

Please explain. You get 25 slots in the CL, only 17 of which can be over-age foreign trained. We're already at that cap, so if one comes in, someone gets squeezed out.

From 1st Feb last season we were at our maximum quota - with Janssen and N'Koudou out on loan, Sanchez also counted as u21. Davies counts as foreign trained for CL. So we've gone from maximum possible squad with everyone accounted for to adding 3 players that need to be registered in both comps.

My maths above is out by one in both scenarios, but the point stands.

The rule, specifically is:

25 players, 8 of which must have been trained by clubs from the same national league, with 4 from the club own youth system.​

Our CL squad for 17/18 was (HG in bold and Spurs youth in bold italics):

Lloris, Vorm, Gazzaniga, Whiteman, Trippier, Rose, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Aurier, Davies, Walker-Peters, Lamela, Wanyama, Dier, Sissoko, Dembele, Alli, Eriksen, Lucas Moura, Winks, Amos, Georgiou, Oakley-Boothe, Heung-min Son, Llorente, Sterling, Kane

Is that right?

If so, we have 10 players trained by clubs in the same national league, 8 of whom came from our youth system.

Seems like we have some wriggle room.

Doesn’t mean much. Frankfurt just exorcised their loan-right-to-buy for a poultry €2m after he’d spent two years on loan there.

They’d happily sell him for a handsome profit.

As a kid he showed a shit load of potential. If you watch YouTube of him in Croatia as a kid he looks like a young Rooney. He’s not quite fulfilled that potential, he is a bit hot headed at times, works hard without the ball, capable of some great stuff but also can be erratic. Did have by far his best season last year for Frankfurt, but no coincidence that that was under fellow Croatian manager Kovac who I believe managed Rebic in the Croatian U21s and was probably the first manager he’d had in his senior career who’d trust him and get the best out of him.

Back
Top Bottom