Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree, but the point is more that there was very little to separate us in the end.
Those teams have improved and we've not done anything in-and-out-wise.
Others improving + us staying the same = us in danger of slipping relatively behind.
Not a melty comment- just a realistic perspective on where we currently stand.
This reminds of the Everton won the transfer window last year...not one of their signings improved them overall. Signings will not guarantee anything. We have signed some big name players who didn’t improve us, possibly set us back in real terms, but who got valuable game time.
It’s premature to say that others have improved around us. If we kept all the players Poch wants to keep, & add where he thinks we need to, who is to say that a happy squad, still young & hungry, can’t go one or two better in various competitions as they gain experience & maturity? There is no reason to think that our current squad, well motivated, can’t improve on its performances and results. It’s only when the squad has hit its ceiling, or needs refreshing, that transfers are vital. Or if we lose key players. Keeping the nucleus of what Poch wants is absolutely key. The team, by & large, hasn’t even hit its peak potential.

Not that this means we shouldn't signing anyone, because I strongly feel we need a CM. But we shouldnt just assume that those around us have improved.

Woolwich, Chelsea, United and Liverpool have mainly signed players with no premier league experience. Much like the 'magnificent 7' under AVB, you cant tell me that was us improving.

Keita - Pool
Fabinho - Pool
Allison - Pool
Fred - United
Dalot - United
Jorginho - Chelsea
Torreria - Woolwich
Leichsteiner - Woolwich
Other guys i've never heard of - Woolwich

All of these players wont be a success and they certainly will not all hit the ground running. It's impossible to tell who exactly has improved until Oct/Nov. Teams sign players every year and still go backwards.

But like mentioned above, we need a CM.

This is true.

I would imagine, with Levy being an extremely shrewd businessman, part of our lack of net spending (for many years) is down to it being extremely difficult to prove that signings will improve performances and revenues vs. last year.

We could easily spend £100 net and finish 5th, worse than last season.

We'd all like him to spend more freely, but this is how the Board's mind almost certainly works.
£100 net does sound about right to be fair.

Moura was a Jan window signing.
I knew there would be a pedantic reply so I changed it to last season.
You get the idea, last years signings didn’t improve us one bit. We’d had 6.
We bought two shit players, 3 we never used and one that held his own, playing in a defence that went from best in 16/17 to 3rd in 17/18 conceding 10 more goals.

Maybe another 3 of the 6 will make us better this season.

Not that this means we shouldn't signing anyone, because I strongly feel we need a CM. But we shouldnt just assume that those around us have improved.

Woolwich, Chelsea, United and Liverpool have mainly signed players with no premier league experience. Much like the 'magnificent 7' under AVB, you cant tell me that was us improving.

Keita - Pool
Fabinho - Pool
Allison - Pool
Fred - United
Dalot - United
Jorginho - Chelsea
Torreria - Woolwich
Leichsteiner - Woolwich

All of these players wont be a success and they certainly will not all hit the ground running. It's impossible to tell who exactly has improved until Oct/Nov. Teams sign players every year and still go backwards.

Regardless of what others do, we should be striving to improve every season & never get complacent.

We bought two shit players, 3 we never used and one that held his own, playing in a defence that went from best in 16/17 to 3rd in 17/18 conceding 10 more goals.

To be fair - we went from a team playing at fortress WHL, to one playing at the grassy expanse of Wembley.

Edit: 9 conceded at home in 2016/17 to 16 in 2017/18.

Keita - Pool
Fabinho - Pool
Allison - Pool
Fred - United
Dalot - United
Jorginho - Chelsea
Torreria - Woolwich
Leichsteiner - Woolwich

Woolwich's signings in particular are not remotely scary. I don't think their first team is any better than last year (so far). And their manager has no Prem experience.

6th place written all over it.

I knew there would be a pedantic reply so I changed it to last season.
You get the idea, last years signings didn’t improve us one bit.
We would have been in a bit of a mess at the back if we didn't sign sanchez. I guess it would have been dier & jan or foyth & jan for most of the season. 1 quality signing like sanchez can make a lot of difference.

I agree, but the point is more that there was very little to separate us in the end.
Those teams have improved and we've not done anything in-and-out-wise.
Others improving + us staying the same = us in danger of slipping relatively behind.
Not a melty comment- just a realistic perspective on where we currently stand.

Who says they've improved, if signing players every year meant you improved every year, every team would be amazing.

Let's see what happens rest of the window and where we end up. My guess is we'll sign as many as we sell or thereabouts and finish in the top 3.

Moura was a Jan window signing.
Excellent business by the club.....so many of our fans would have been appeased though if we had waited until July though.

The club is three steps ahead of these fans who can’t see past their own noses.

Imagine that.....signing someone in January and giving him half a season of integration and a pre season for 2018/19 is not good enough. But signing him in the summer, preferably for double the price, would be lauded.

Gotta laugh really.....same bashers will all be dancing along to the Oliver Skipp flute after a few CC games.....by November we’ll see all the Foyth cock sucking while they vehemently deny they wanted to allow Toby to hold the club to ransom.

A couple goals by Llorente and a good sub appearance by Nkoudou and we’ll see all the fanciful formations with their names firmly on everyone starting line ups for the likes Brighton etc while we can now “rest Kane!!!!”

Then January comes.........and it’s all shit again and we’re getting relegated.

I fully understand giving Levy at least partial blame for how negotiations have gone (It always takes two, in football often even more people to negotiate a deal so he can't take exactly all the blame). But I don't get the people that think that he is okay with things as it is.

People are so obsessed with the narrative that Levy is more concerned with profit rather than being a competitive and fighting for titles that they seemingly forget that the easiest way for a club to be profitable is competing for titles.

The difference between us and a lot of the other recent top clubs is that we are run as to stand on our own feet financially rather than as a hobby project for a small country/an oligarch.

Previous years when a big deal was stalling Levy could just pop out and buy a cheap squad player to tide us over whilst continuing work on the big deal. But with our climb up the ranks so has the expectations of the fans so doing that now would just be met with your standard "NO NOT HIM! ANNOUNCE BALE".

Levy is probably just as frustrated with the transfer situation as Poch and us if not more.

Back
Top Bottom