Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Made me laugh

FtUtZff.jpg

Chatting to a work mate today about Spurs’ lack or new players and enevitably the cost of the new stadium came up.

So what’s the general consensus on here? I know Donna Cullen said last week it hasn’t affected transfer activity, and the issue has always been bought up in Trust meetings with the club saying it won’t have an impact.

So what does the board think? Are the club just running the official line that the new stadium has no impact on transfer funds, or is it actually true. Would be good to hear people’s thoughts guys in this.
Got to take the club at the word that it does effect transfers, it's been consistently communicated that it will not. So if there is proof that it has then there is something to bitch about. They have also always consistently said that the extra revenue is what is required to compete, again if not then why build the fucking thing?

Al this however will not change that we will remain self-sufficient, but it means we should have more money to spend.

Right now, there is evidence that with the club receiving higher revenues we have paid out more in wages, prior to Kane's, Poch's, Lamela's bumper deals in the last few weeks our wages have gone up by 20 odd percent (two seasons ago), with more new contracts expected the trend looks to be continuing increasing the wages of existing players.

We'll have to wait until the end of the window to see how things pan out on transfers, but last year we broke our record on Sanchez. But really the key measure is what we are spending on wages both on existing players as well as new players that's how to judge.

"I've actually seen that stunning piece of revisionism posted here in all seriousness"

Airfixx disagrees

20 minutes later, from 1882:

"To me, 'being brave' could also relate to giving a chance to Academy products like Oliver Skipp & Luke Amos"

Oh and good work parrotting Sammy's lie that I think that "brave" means "blow loads of cash", he spent all last summer too getting that one to stick without success. Good luck finding a single post from any year where I've hinted at that.

To repeat, I couldn't give a rats cock if a player comes on a free, costs £5 million or £50 million. I would like to see our first team strengthened in an essential area. Crazy, I know

See this is what cracks me up Bill......you claim you don’t care about price tags, yet spend most of the window belittling “bargain basement signings”....

Among the 8 people that agreed with your post are some who have for years non stop slagged off Levy for not spending big.
One spent the entire summer of 2017 telling everybody that you can only win stuff by spending big. His exact words.....yet now apparently you are all fine with League one signings.....because that’s what you get for 5M.

So before typing a fake news post like you did, why not take a deep breath and consider what kind of player you consider a marquee signing.....one to improve the first team.

Grealish is not good enough for many, especially consider his price....but here they are claiming price doesn’t matter.

You want marquee, but seemingly don’t care if we spend big? Explain how we will sign the proven, marquee immediate improvement type players for 5M.

You don’t want to take risks on potential, you all thought taking risks meant spend big.

Now the man crying is at peak levels despite me telling you 3 months ago this window would be like every other and you had deliberately translated Pochs interview into something you wanted to hear.
You even said that those cunts with Levy Out banners were a bit ott but you’d be happy to sign a petition.
What the FUCK?

Poch gives ten academy kids a chance to stake a claim for the first team squad, and people barely give a shit.
Winks is back and people barely give a shit....Moura to feature excites me, Zaha for 70M excites you no doubt.

I can’t wait for next Saturday. I’m buzzing for the new season.

If only you knew what that felt like.

Waaaaahhhh

All true mate, but you're getting into what-aboutery. Football's always about the small margins, no matter how good you are. Just be happy with what we did achieve. Ridiculous seasons like City last year are the rare exception.

And we could have won more games as well. We were 1 match from the FA Cup final but missed out. 1 goal short of extra time vs. Juventus. Swings and roundabouts.

I agree, but the point is more that there was very little to separate us in the end.
Those teams have improved and we've not done anything in-and-out-wise.
Others improving + us staying the same = us in danger of slipping relatively behind.
Not a melty comment- just a realistic perspective on where we currently stand.

I agree, but the point is more that there was very little to separate us in the end.
Those teams have improved and we've not done anything in-and-out-wise.
Others improving + us staying the same = us in danger of slipping relatively behind.
Not a melty comment- just a realistic perspective on where we currently stand.
This is true.

I would imagine, with Levy being an extremely shrewd businessman, part of our lack of net spending (for many years) is down to it being extremely difficult to prove that signings will improve performances and revenues vs. last year.

We could easily spend £100m net and finish 5th, worse than last season.

We'd all like him to spend more freely, but this is how the Board's mind almost certainly works.

Last edited:
Looks another one is getting an unfollow.

"scraped"

We were in the top four in 20 of the 38 game weeks.

I'll add that all underlining Stats (XG) support that Utd. was the team that scraped in. de Gea's stat's were off the charts last year (2nd only to his own stat's the season before). They would have finished behind Chelsea had you swapped Lloris, Coutoise in fact any of the other top 5 'keepers in the league with him. He literally is the reason for their season.

There are always anomalies within stats, like Leicester and even West Ham's last season at Upton Park, but stats always prove the norm and both of those clubs numbers have reverted to their norm and are back correctly in their appropriate position(s),

Last season we bought
Gazzaniga
Foyth
Llorente
Moura
Aurier
Sanchez.

General consensus is only one of those improved us last year, Sanchez.
Aurier and Llorente are still considered shit
Foyth Gazzaniga and Moura didn’t have any impact at all.

Not bad still managing to ‘scrape’ third with one quality addition, in a position we already were very strong in.

Last summer we bought
Gazzaniga
Foyth
Llorente
Moura
Aurier
Sanchez.

General consensus is only one of those improved us last year, Sanchez.
Aurier and Llorente are still considered shit
Foyth Gazzaniga and Moura didn’t have any impact at all.
Moura will certainly have more impact this season

I'll add that all underlining Stats (XG) support that Utd. was the team that scraped in. de Gea's stat's were off the charts last year (2nd only to his own stat's the season before). They would have finished behind Chelsea had you swapped Lloris, Coutoise in fact any of the other top 5 'keepers in the league with him. He literally is the reason for their season.

There are always anomalies within stats, like Leicester and even West Ham's last season at Upton Park, but stats always prove the norm and both of those clubs numbers have reverted to their norm and are back correctly in their appropriate position(s),

Yea well, they might be shit elsewhere, but they actually had DeGea, still have him, and we aren't living in an alternate universe, so "eeeezzzz futbal" buddy.

I’m all for discussions and that shit in here. That’s why we use a forum. But the “I don’t like you so I’ll give you a disagree in every post” is the childish thing ever. Better to call someone a cunt or a gooner troll maggot.
It’s more fun to be an articulated cunt.
Check who dishes them out and it's the same people every single time. I'd say no more than 5 people. Seems to be an ego thing more than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom