Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've actually seen that stunning piece of revisionism posted here in all seriousness

Then again some people are so tunnel visioned with the notion that (rather than entirely ambiguous) being "brave" 'must' translate to "blow loads of cash" that they can't comprehend it meaning ANYTHING else.

Once the humour dries up, on this front, you're just another closed-minded moaner Bill.

Mina to Utd apparently. Would suggest Toby is staying, not really any other suitors.
Unless United are trying to bluff either us or Leicester. They are supposedly still trying to persuade Leicester but Leicester are showing no signs of relenting. It could also be a strategy to get us to reach out as this would no doubt take Martial out of the question (not like I think there's much hope).

Then again some people are so tunnel visioned with the notion that (rather than entirely ambiguous) being "brave" 'must' translate to "blow loads of cash" that they can't comprehend it meaning ANYTHING else.

Once the humour dries up, on this front, you're just another closed-minded moaner Bill.

To me, 'being brave' could also relate to giving a chance to Academy products like Oliver Skipp & Luke Amos... now that IS bravery!!!

The obsession that we have to spend our way to the top of the league is odd... by that logic, Liverpool and West Ham will be fighting out the League between them, 'cos so far, they've spent the most!

...and besides, IF one or more of our Academy products turns into a gem, then surely they ARE the new signing?

After all... SOMEONE'S academy has to produce our NEXT crop of players... why can't it be ours?

Last edited:
To me, 'being brave' could also relate to giving a chance to Academy products like Oliver Skipp & Luke Amos... now that IS bravery!!!

The obsession that we have to spend our way to the top of the league is odd... because IF one or more of our Academy products turns into a gem, then surely they ARE the new signing?
After all... SOMEONE'S academy has to produce our NEXT crop of players... why can't it be ours?
That wouldn't be being "brave" for us though, poch has been giving academy products a chance since he arrived. Why would he say in the media we need to be brave and do something we've been doing since 2015...It really wasn't ambiguous, we all know what he meant by these comments , come on.

Unless United are trying to bluff either us or Leicester. They are supposedly still trying to persuade Leicester but Leicester are showing no signs of relenting. It could also be a strategy to get us to reach out as this would no doubt take Martial out of the question (not like I think there's much hope).

Maybe we've decided to not strengthen a competitor? Saying that we didn't mind with Walker... Maybe the whole Toby thing was done to mess with United for half the transfer window and Toby was always going to re-sign with us :vert:

But Poch knows that this is how we operate and this is one of the biggest reasons we've punched above our weight. Levy/Enic will have put a lot work into creating this/a model that has got us to where we are.

Poch will obviously feel frustrated at times but will also understand that keeping this model running will mean he'll benefit 9 times out of 10 by having more funds available through Levy being able to manipulate the market, of course it doesn't always come off and we'll miss out sometimes but every club doesn't get all of its targets does it unless it's prepared to burn ridiculous amounts like City and Pool.

Unfortunately our fans are impatient and not prepared to wait for the stadium to bear fruit, which it will in the next few years probably more than we all imagined.

Two things have fanned the flames and got everyone even more wound, Pochs comments which is understandable and moreso the bullshit muncher ITKs spouting their usual dogshit which always leaves me surprised that grown men actually believe any of it's real and not just a load of attention seeking liars getting off on their own delusion and imaginary stature in the game.
There has to be a good middle ground between how we and Liverpool operate in the transfer market, though.

Remember when we had Baldini at the club? Not all of the 'magnificent 7' were all so magnificent but it's clear the guy knew how to approach the selling clubs well and get the deals done. Even though we had the Bale money, we weren't spending crazy amounts on any of those players individually.

Paul Mitchell likely left out of frustration over the way Levy conducts player recruitment - and if Steve Hitchen walks in the next year or so then I don't think that'll be a great mystery either.

Why do people keep trotting out the "our late transfer policy costs us slow starts" bollocks every year. We've had some of our best starts (including our best ever) in the last few seasons. Things like international tournaments have a much bigger impact, as our transfer dealings are generally spread throughout, just like everybody else's are. It's not like we are refreshing 11 starting players every summer and needing to teach them how to play football. At most we might add 1 players late who might immediately impact the first team, meaning we still have about 22 others well versed in all things Poch, so why should one or two late transfers derail a sequence of results?

There are clubs with bigger resources and wage budgets than us, players and their agents who also want the best deal/club possible who wait for that best deal/club.

The only way to do big deals for coveted players early is to overpay in fees and wages, or pay whatever the clubs/players are demanding - and hope that a bigger club isn't also willing to do that. We can't always do that, (most clubs can't always do that). When we can do that, we do it, when that sits outside our financial resources, we can't and don't, then we have to wait for those demands to come down, or move to other players.

Even the clubs with bigger resources struggle to get big deals done early and end up doing deals late. All clubs do.

That wouldn't be being "brave" for us though, poch has been giving academy products a chance since he arrived. Why would he say in the media we need to be brave and do something we've been doing since 2015... It really wasn't ambiguous, we all know what he meant by these comments , come on.

No.

That's just what you want to think.

Being brave "Brave" could have a number of interpretations. Denying this is simply opting for confirmation bias... Or if you prefer... Lying to yourself.

No.

That's just what you want to think.

Being brave "Brave" could have a number of interpretations. Denying this is simply opting for confirmation bias... Or if you prefer... Lying to yourself.
Lol okay " we need to be brave and take risks", apparently to some of you in denial people on here that means , continue doing exactly what we have been doing since poch arrived.

Maybe we've decided to not strengthen a competitor? Saying that we didn't mind with Walker... Maybe the whole Toby thing was done to mess with United for half the transfer window and Toby was always going to re-sign with us :vert:

...Unsettling Martial in the process.

Besides our own personal frustrations, it’s strange that some big names still haven’t moved.

There must be something clogging the transfer market. I’m guessing it’s tbe huge Premier league tv deal

Lol okay " we need to be brave and take risks", apparently to some of you in denial people on here that means , continue doing exactly what we have been doing since poch arrived.

Nope. I'm not in denial. I'm just open to the prospect of it meaning a number of things.

It's called an open mind.

There's a number of ways it can be interpreted... Why are YOU in "denial" of any other but the one that appeals to you most?

"I've actually seen that stunning piece of revisionism posted here in all seriousness"

Airfixx disagrees

20 minutes later, from 1882:

"To me, 'being brave' could also relate to giving a chance to Academy products like Oliver Skipp & Luke Amos"

Oh and good work parrotting Sammy's lie that I think that "brave" means "blow loads of cash", he spent all last summer too getting that one to stick without success. Good luck finding a single post from any year where I've hinted at that.

To repeat, I couldn't give a rats cock if a player comes on a free, costs £5 million or £50 million. I would like to see our first team strengthened in an essential area. Crazy, I know

Last edited:
There has to be a good middle ground between how we and Liverpool operate in the transfer market, though.

Remember when we had Baldini at the club? Not all of the 'magnificent 7' were all so magnificent but it's clear the guy knew how to approach the selling clubs well and get the deals done. Even though we had the Bale money, we weren't spending crazy amounts on any of those players individually.

Paul Mitchell likely left out of frustration over the way Levy conducts player recruitment - and if Steve Hitchen walks in the next year or so then I don't think that'll be a great mystery either.

Liverpool's transfer policy is basically to pay the highest wages and agents fees

Nope. I'm not in denial. I'm just open to the prospect of it meaning a number of things.

It's called an open mind.

There's a number of ways it can be interpreted... Why are YOU in "denial" of any other but the one that appeals to you most?
Care to list all the things it could mean, the only alternative to the obvious one I've seen on here is that it means give academy prospects a chance, which again wouldn't be a risk as it's something we've consistently been doing.

Back
Top Bottom