2018 FIFA WORLD CUP RUSSIA 14th June - 15th July

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Cahill and Jones won't be starting, not at least together.

It's one of the big reasons we'll be playing 3 at the back with Kyle Walker there. Who as you know, is probably one of the quickest defenders in the world.

France will have Debuchy at right back. Spain will have Pique at centre back. Germany will have Hummels at centre half. Brazil will have Danilo at right back. These aren't quick players.

We'll be very very hard to break down. Especially if we're likely to play Dier and Henderson in front of a back three. Our attack is where I worry and we have the fucking likes of Dele, Sterling, Kane and Vardy there!
I’m intrigued by the option of Walker in a back three, although it’s mostly chat for now. My point being, you can be slow if you’re a CB....if you’re Ramos, Godin, Bonucci etc who are positionslly excellent and astute game readers. Cahill and Jones are slow, and average footballers who once in a while have a good club game.

Redeeming feature would be being physical, but remember Klose was it brushing Cahill aside for his opening goal? Jones own goal against us at Wembley recently? They are both inept, and in particular slow

Edit: Klose in 2010, when Cahill was at his peak

In my honest opinion it is the poorest England squad I have seen in years.

We might do well but I would give this squad no chance if it were in the Premier League.

I can barely think of any player, maybe Walker aside who would make it in a World Cup of nations squad.

I’m intrigued by the option of Walker in a back three, although it’s mostly chat for now. My point being, you can be slow if you’re a CB....if you’re Ramos, Godin, Bonucci etc who are positionslly excellent and astute game readers. Cahill and Jones are slow, and average footballers who once in a while have a good club game.

Redeeming feature would be being physical, but remember Klose was it brushing Cahill aside for his opening goal? Jones own goal against us at Wembley recently? They are both inept, and in particular slow

Edit: Klose in 2010, when Cahill was at his peak

He's played in a back three for England twice (Walker) and has looked fine. It's allowed Trippier to stay up field and do what he does best and that's cross a ball in to the box without having to rely on his average defending ability.

Cahill and Jones will NOT be starting together so it doesn't matter. Stones will be one of the three playing alongside Walker and positionally he's excellent. I'd like to see Maguire be the third guy but that will likely be Jones or Cahill. Would prefer Jones as he's better on the ball and is better than Cahill.

No problems with the squad really, all looks solid at the back and strike force looks deadly. Just worry about the midfield, Henderson couldn’t see a forward pass if it smacked him in the face and Diers not great at it either. Lots of pressure on Loftus cheek to create chances, with Wilshere (who I think should of been included) and Shelvey left out. And that’s what will bite us in the arse. Just a shame Winks was injured could of done with him.

All in all we will make it out the group then the first one of France, Brazil, Germany Spain we meet will knock us out.

Walker as a centre half?
:vertna:

Way too many brainfarts for that role imo. As a right back he gets away with it because he is extremely fast & athletic and has a centre back to rely upon to mop up any mess he can’t.

As the right sided centre back in a 3, I think he will be a calamity waiting to happen against a decent side. It’s a far less forgiving position.

Walker as a centre half?

Way too many brainfarts for that role imo. As a right back he gets away with it because he is extremely fast & athletic and has a centre back to rely upon to mop up any mess he can’t.

As the right sided centre back in a 3, I think he will be a calamity waiting to happen against a decent side. It’s a far less forgiving position.
dont worry. Im sure someone here will blame levy

He's played in a back three for England twice (Walker) and has looked fine. It's allowed Trippier to stay up field and do what he does best and that's cross a ball in to the box without having to rely on his average defending ability.

Cahill and Jones will NOT be starting together so it doesn't matter. Stones will be one of the three playing alongside Walker and positionally he's excellent. I'd like to see Maguire be the third guy but that will likely be Jones or Cahill. Would prefer Jones as he's better on the ball and is better than Cahill.
The chuckle brothers not starting together isn’t a given, especially if Stones or Maguire get injured. Nor is Walker starting in a back 3, not sure why that seems to be accepted now. I’d much rather have seen Tarkowski in there he’s at least switched on

Walker as a centre half?

Like Stones is better? Or Maguire. Who the fuck is making the England team these days :kanehand:

The chuckle brothers not starting together isn’t a given, especially if Stones or Maguire get injured. Nor is Walker starting in a back 3, not sure why that seems to be accepted now. I’d much rather have seen Tarkowski in there he’s at least switched on

It's a guarantee they won't start together. Mate, put your house on it.

The fact 3 right backs have been called up and the fact Southgate likes Walker in a back three and has played him there in the last 2 England games pretty much confirms he'll play there.

It's a guarantee they won't start together. Mate, put your house on it.

The fact 3 right backs have been called up and the fact Southgate likes Walker in a back three and has played him there in the last 2 England games pretty much confirms he'll play there.
Yes, totally agree.

Also please reference Scholes on the wing, 10 years of two AMs failing together (Gerrard/Lampard), a system being built around Rooney who could barely spell his name let alone work in a system, Hoddle being overlooked, Heskey, Kane taking corners, getting outplayed by Iceland, USA, Algeria etc etc.

I like Southgate, he seems to be vaguely thoughtful and pragmatic, but I’ve been disappointed too many times by England to expect the logical. A couple of good training sessions and being ‘good around the camp’ and expect to see Jones replacing Vardy on the wing

Don't get RLC ahead of Llalana. He's had his fitness conerns but so has RLC. Llalana's proven quality but RLC's career so far has been hype over substance.

Welbeck... Good Lord.

We have a good draw so could well make the quarters but I'd back almost anyone to knock us out then.

How do you manage to have the 2nd best league in the world and such a garbage of a national team :pochwtf:

Wouldn't raise an eyebrow if this team fails to advance into the KO stage.

How do you manage to have the 2nd best league in the world and such a garbage of a national team :pochwtf:

Wouldn't raise an eyebrow if this team fails to advance into the KO stage.

Because people would prefer we sign the likes of Serge Aurier instead of giving the likes of Kyle Walker-Peters a chance?

Not sure it correlates though. Brazil have one of the worst leagues in the world and they're a very successful national side (though funnily enough, less successful once their best players started moving around Europe)

Love this to be honest.

Things like this and Nick Popes journey. Sure, they're not "big names" like we had with Ferdinand, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard etc. but these lot seem to have passion and that'll get you far in life.

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but Spurs have the highest number of representatives in the squad with 5. All of whom have a decent chance of being starters depending on the formation. 3 at the back is likely to see Trippier in at right back. Dier is pretty much nailed on as a CM. Danny Rose at LB/LWB. Dele and Harry pretty much pick themselves.

Back
Top Bottom