Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He was certainly one of them. Davies wasn't and never will be, sadly. Upgrade needed.
It’s just been pointed out to you that the most goals Rose has ever been involved in a full season was 6, and Davies has been involved in 8 with 4 games left.

Are you saying Davies is shipping goals? I thought people were unhappy with his attacking.

Yet he’s doing better than Rose ever did who you have described as the best LB in Europe at his peak.

It’s just been pointed out to you that the most goals Rose has ever been involved in a full season was 6, and Davies has been involved in 8 with 4 games left.

Are you saying Davies is shipping goals? I thought people were unhappy with his attacking.

Yet he’s doing better than Rose ever did who you have described as the best LB in Europe at his peak.

Again, stats proving to be absolutely pointless.

By your logic, Marcos Alonso has been the best left back in world football the past 2 seasons.

And by your logic, Pogba (who you seem to dismiss) is one of the best central midfielders in the Premier League and certainly better than any central midfielder we've had in the past 10 years.. stats wise of course

Davies is obviously better than rose at the moment. Not even a question. But rose peak was immense and can’t see Davies ever getting there.

A shame rose had the injury plus being a retard going to the sun.

You get it.

Davies has absolutely been better than Rose this season. It'd be hard not to be. Kyle Walker-Peters has also been better than Rose this season.

No doubt United will be preparing a summer bid for Davies then, rather than Rose?
Fuck. We got this all wrong .

Again, stats proving to be absolutely pointless.

By your logic, Marcos Alonso has been the best left back in world football the past 2 seasons.

And by your logic, Pogba (who you seem to dismiss) is one of the best central midfielders in the Premier League and certainly better than any central midfielder we've had in the past 10 years.. stats wise of course

Stats are facts. You want Davies to attack more but you prefer Rose who attacked less

Stats are facts. You want Davies to attack more but you prefer Rose who attacked less

It's impossible for Davies to attack as effectively as Rose did because his attributes are completely different.

Rose would provide width and attack his full back. Davies would prefer to cross from deep and play it safely to keep possession.

Ultimately, it's whatever you prefer to watch. I don't think we are anywhere near as effective as we were at times last season as well as the season before. I think we look weaker defensively and are less of a threat going forward - but that's just what I see.

I think our full backs are a big part of how we play and I think the fact we've lost Walker, who has now been voted the best right back in the league the last two seasons and have lost Danny Rose, who was voted the best left back in the league last season (despite missing 4 months of it) goes a long way towards that.

You can throw all the stats you want at me - I can throw stats back at you for all the players you've dismissed, called shit etc. and it gets no where. I'm basing this of what I watch and it's a continous bore watching Davies and Trippier get the balls out wide and either hit and hope a pointless cross in the box to no one or go back and play it safe because they have no desire to try and beat a full back.

Last time we beat City at home? Pretty sure he set up the opener.
I mean put in a cross not an assist, or just a pass into the box but a curling cross that someone could head in?
Or can he take a free kick?

I’d say I can’t remember him doing either in a decade. Pretty limited for the best LB in Europe I’d say

I mean put in a cross not an assist, or just a pass into the box but a curling cross that someone could head in?
Or can he take a free kick?

I’d say I can’t remember him doing either in a decade. Pretty limited for the best LB in Europe I’d say
I don't really care if the left back can't cross if he's still passing the ball into the right places and shit is happening. It's not whether or not it's a cross, it's what the ball results in.

Ben, this year, has been better than any year in Danny's career, in terms of passes or crosses leading to shots. That said, I am not saying Danny has been bad. Far from it. But Ben has been better this year, and in the past as well.

But this is not the only thing that matters in a full back.

My whinge that started this whole thing is about our lack of specifics when talking about fullbacks, so we have no idea if we're even talking about the same things. Hyperbole and chest-beating don't make for worthwhile conversation. Then again, who ever came to this website for that?

I don't really care if the left back can't cross if he's still passing the ball into the right places and shit is happening. It's not whether or not it's a cross, it's what the ball results in.

Ben, this year, has been better than any year in Danny's career, in terms of passes or crosses leading to shots. That said, I am not saying Danny has been bad. Far from it. But Ben has been better this year, and in the past as well.

But this is not the only thing that matters in a full back.

My whinge that started this whole thing is about our lack of specifics when talking about fullbacks, so we have no idea if we're even talking about the same things. Hyperbole and chest-beating don't make for worthwhile conversation. Then again, who ever came to this website for that?

I thought I was talking to Totti, not sure what you’re on anout

You can throw all the stats you want at me - I can throw stats back at you for all the players you've dismissed, called shit etc. and it gets no where. I'm basing this of what I watch and it's a continous bore watching Davies and Trippier get the balls out wide and either hit and hope a pointless cross in the box to no one or go back and play it safe because they have no desire to try and beat a full back.
Trippier who has two less assists than Walker in 9 less games, and took Madrid apart down the wing

And Davies with his pointless crossing that has given 6 assists. Two more than Walker and two goals where as Walker is on none.

But yeah pointless stats when they don’t suit your mantra

Trippier who has two less assists than Walker in 9 less games, and took Madrid apart down the wing

And Davies pointless crossing with his pointless crossing that has given 6 assists. Two more than Walker and two goals where as Walker is on none.

But yeah pointless stats when they don’t suit your mantra

Yet, you still provide these pointless stats.

Davies was, by many, considered better defensively than Rose even when Rose was good, but inferior offensively. Now he has created more G+A than Rose ever did, and, from what I've heard, he has created by far the most chances among defenders in the PL, despite playing fewer minutes than many others.

Trippier and Davies _are better_ at creating chances than Walker and Rose. Imo there's no doubt about it. But there is also no doubt that Walker and Rose had athletisism and particularly pace that gave them an advantage in creating havoc when going forwards and in allowing them to be more offensive.

I can personally not conclude on which pair is the best. The reason we have not done quite as well this year as last, except in the CL where we were great this season, has less to do with our backs than other positions.

I love Sanchez, but he is not quite what Toby was yet. Wanyama hasn't properly come back from injuries yet. Dembele struggled for a long time, and is still not yet at his best. Alli has had a bad season. Lloris hasn't been quite as good as the past few seasons. Llorente hasn't worked out. Winks has had a lot of the season ruined to injuries. We've not played at home. Our first choice full backs are not our problem, although I will admit I was expecting a bit more from Trippier.

Back
Top Bottom