Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No more quick punts on hopeful prospects please.

We can see how far just one superstar player can take you e.g (Liverpool)

If we are gonna spend 70 million make sure it's 2 quality players not a handful of maybes.
I think we can still afford one, possibly two punts per window. But at the level we are now we do need to secure more "ready" players than punts, that is for certain

I'd like to think that in defence we should probably go for someone with a bit more experience. Experienced defenders are never bad to have on squad, especially centrally. Evans would be a steal there tbf. Not the flashy signing some would want. But he is a 3 time PL champion and a 2 time league cup champion and would bring a bit of experience from working with and under Fergie to the team.

Agreed re: older CB... Will just block Sanchez and Foyth to spend further on another youngster with potential.

Though i think WBA will get a decent price for Evans as hes a top 4 depth no-brainer come summer time.

I think we can still afford one, possibly two punts per window. But at the level we are now we do need to secure more "ready" players than punts, that is for certain

Agreed.

A superstar or a player whose presence and ability mean that on the pitch they fear no one and insil fear in everyone.

Cantona, Gascoigne, Henry, Bale etc.....

Very hard to find.

I tell anyone who wants to listen thatvSessegnon at 50 million pounds would not be a gamble. A near certain star of the near future.

Agreed.

A superstar or a player whose presence and ability mean that on the pitch they fear no one and insil fear in everyone.

Very hard to find.

I tell anyone who wants to listen thatvSessegnon at 50 million pounds would not be a gamble. A near certain star of the near future.

Whilst i don't dissagree with the earlier of your 2 points, RS still doesn't fit that profile yet.... Moreso that of Sanchez or Deli.

[edit] Stadium or no new stadium, Son or Moura type scenarios appear to be the nearest we'll be to readymade star signings for a while yet.

Agreed.

Very hard to find.

I agree that Sessegnon is definitely a name we should go for. But he should not be our BIG signing of the summer. He is young so he can afford to be a punt signing so to speak. We can be patient with Ryan's development if we sign him.

Get Ryan in but also look at more experienced players.

Maybe time to shop around Italy or Germany a bit.

No I agree. Nowhere near as yet but squad bolstering.

To be honest, aside from the kind of golden eggs that accelerated our progress since AVB/TS (i.e. Kane & Deli £300m+ of top grade talent for next to zip!), i can only see us making nominal positional improvements to what we already have at this stage... Even quality of depth - save for maybe Llorente and a RB - is about peaking IMO given the financial pecking order.

I actually think becoming accustomed to peak KW/TA/JV/DR will be our toughest cross to bear over the coming seasons... Bringing in world class replacements for alleged world class defenders in their prime just isnt on the horizon and lets face it we'll likely start next season with only 1 still on the books.

I think (hope) we can remain steady at the back for the time being whilst focussing on overhauling the middle of the pitch in the summer (*) as i dont rellish upheaval in multiple depts. of the pitch as we enter NewWHL.

(*Dembele & Sissoko gone if logic and rumour prevail... + Winks will seemingly take longer to bloom than initially suggested.)

1 x 1st team CM baller + 1 x capable protege in the window please, Mr Levy.

Priority is 100% central midfielder.

Someone who can carry the ball and cause problems with it. Basically a Dembele replacement (Seri or NDombele preferably).

A new left back. Someone who's going to take on his man and beat them. Quick and gets themselves into good positions. From the media rumours of us scouting numerous left backs, this does seem to be a priority which is good.

Unless Aurier pulls a finger out, a new right back too. Though I think with better coaching, Poch's fitness regime and a bit of confidence and freedom to be allowed to run forward and beat a man, Aurier would be pretty damn good. (In a wing back, 3 at the back role preferably)

--

Anything else would be a bonus. I think we're well set in the attacking sense. Eriksen, Dele, Kane, Lucas, Son and Lamela is fine. Though if we were to bring in Malcom then even better. I think he offers something different to all of those.

I also wouldn't mind us looking at bringing in a promising central defender in Lenglet or de Ligt - so if Toby does get sold, replacing him with one of these would be best. Unless of course Poch would prefer a bit more experience.

Priority is 100% central midfielder.

Someone who can carry the ball and cause problems with it. Basically a Dembele replacement (Seri or NDombele preferably).

A new left back. Someone who's going to take on his man and beat them. Quick and gets themselves into good positions. From the media rumours of us scouting numerous left backs, this does seem to be a priority which is good.

Unless Aurier pulls a finger out, a new right back too. Though I think with better coaching, Poch's fitness regime and a bit of confidence and freedom to be allowed to run forward and beat a man, Aurier would be pretty damn good. (In a wing back, 3 at the back role preferably)

--

Anything else would be a bonus. I think we're well set in the attacking sense. Eriksen, Dele, Kane, Lucas, Son and Lamela is fine. Though if we were to bring in Malcom then even better. I think he offers something different to all of those.

I also wouldn't mind us looking at bringing in a promising central defender in Lenglet or de Ligt - so if Toby does get sold, replacing him with one of these would be best. Unless of course Poch would prefer a bit more experience.
100% agree with this, I'm resigned to the fact Moose is probably out the gate and we need a direct replacement that can fulfill that role, possibly be quicker with distribution and an eye for goal (my main criticism is Dembele doesn't score as much as he can imho), and a little bit of creativity wouldn't go amiss either.

I'd like to think that in defence we should probably go for someone with a bit more experience. Experienced defenders are never bad to have on squad, especially centrally. Evans would be a steal there tbf. Not the flashy signing some would want. But he is a 3 time PL champion and a 2 time league cup champion and would bring a bit of experience from working with and under Fergie to the team.

Agree with this, he’s a very good defender but I’d also go for someone like Gomez as well, relegating Sanchez to student rather than starter.

We need a big attacking signing. Lamela needs to be the man to make way. I think the only people seriously against such a move are those who know they're going to have to be eating a serious amount of humble pie, served up by me.

Even their football journos are deluded!

In all seriousness though - I’d love us to get those lads in. If only they’d stop scoring before the bloody transfer window.

They'd be great signings, although I feel our priorities should be in this order:

* New full backs, both need upgrading (Rose out, possibly binning off Aurier too)
* Shit hot central midfielder (wish we got in there for Naby Keita - somebody of that ilk, he's exactly what we need)
* Replacement for Toby / long term partner for Sanchez
* Competition/rotation option for Eriksen (maybe this is Maddison, but we should aim higher)
* Some young players with a lot of potential (this is where the Maddison's and Sessengon's come in)

They'd be great signings, although I feel our priorities should be in this order:

* New full backs, both need upgrading (Rose out, possibly binning off Aurier too)
* Shit hot central midfielder (wish we got in there for Naby Keita - somebody of that ilk, he's exactly what we need)
* Replacement for Toby / long term partner for Sanchez
* Competition/rotation option for Eriksen (maybe this is Maddison, but we should aim higher)
* Some young players with a lot of potential (this is where the Maddison's and Sessengon's come in)
So just around the £300m mark then? Seems likely.

For a club with a “world class (copyright Karen Brady) our under 23 / under 18 teams are not looking like an option for anyone stepping up anytime soon. That’s a huge concern.

Back
Top Bottom