Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Toby has never to my knowledge publically said he wants to leave. His tweets reported on this thread are very supportive to the team. Let's hope a compromise will be possible as he is our best defender.

He’s not Eriksen, or Kane important....I’d rather lose Toby than Jan, Dembele, Son, Lloris, Dele, Lamela and even Moura in his early days.
Our best centre half for some years is less of a loss than Dele, who is not progressing as a player, but is in fact is regressing, according to you.
He’s also less of a loss than Lamela who has been injured for two years, during which we’ve achieved before unheard of high league placings and great cup runs?
And also less of a loss than a guy who has played half an hour of league football?

That’s utterly ridiculous.

There is still the fact that we actually haven't missed him whilst he has been out injured, our record shows this, it's in fact a club record for the length of time we have gone unbeaten and it's happened without him in the side.

Pointing this out doesn't mean he's shit, or in fact the view of how good he is hasn't changed. In fact nothing has changed about how good he is. It also doesn't mean anyone wants to see him sold, it would be great if he remained at the club. But the fact is we have not missed him whilst he has been out. Last year we missed him when he was out, this year we have not.

There is no invention going on, no misinterpreted stats, nothing other than our record to look at this season. If you wish to drum up a list of whimsical, mythical things that could have, should have, if's, buts and maybe's then you are entitled to do just that, but you might be challenged on it.

Okay, I'll try once more.

I am not saying that anyone else would be saying that Toby is shit or useless.
I am not saying we have performed badly during his absence - absolutely not.

But I am arguing against the something you (and someone else later) try to present as a fact - that we have not missed him the slightest. I am saying that this is something you cannot say with full certainty even though we had this wonderful run, in his absence was also run in the league where we earned 2 points from 4 consecutive rounds. If you can, please do conculsively and factually explain, how you can say with full certainty that we did not mis Toby in these games for example? Also during this unbeaten run, we drew against Wet Spam and Soton in EPL and with low-league Newport in FA cup. How can you state with full certainty that not even one of those 3 draws might not have been a win without Toby? I don't think you can. Just as I could not prove that we would have done better.

So to sum it up really short - you are trying to present it as a fact that during his absence we did not miss him one bit. And I am saying that actually we might have done even better (again, not saying we would have done badly or that we missed him a great deal, rather that he could have still something marginally). Neither can back the claims factually, so maybe let's agree that neither of us should present our points of view as solid fact?

If we win the FA Cup and finish 2nd, will you say we were weaker without Toby?
After what would be our best season in over 30 years?

Doesn’t add up really does it...how do you know we don’t sign a better defender?
Or that Sanchez becomes a better player than Toby next year?

I am not trying to say that Sanchez might not become better. I am saying that he currently is not better than Toby :) . And my point is (and I admit it is bit of knitpicking and small difference, still to me somehow worth defending) is that we could have achieved the same thing and maybe even more with Toby. You can't prove it I can't prove it. But difference is that I am not trying to say that my view is fact.

He’s not Eriksen, or Kane important....I’d rather lose Toby than Jan, Dembele, Son, Lloris, Dele, Lamela and even Moura in his early days,

Aha, okay. Well excuse me for even answering.
We really seem to live in different world when you are putting Lamela and Moura ahead of Toby. So to put bench players ahead of defender who was part of league best defence for two seasons in a row. Apparently it is more important to the team to... be of South American heritage? Or what else so distinctive does Moura have that make him more important than our best defender?

But I am arguing against the something you (and someone else later) try to present as a fact - that we have not missed him the slightest. I am saying that this is something you cannot say with full certainty even though we had this wonderful run, in his absence was also run in the league where we earned 2 points from 4 consecutive rounds. If you can, please do conculsively and factually explain, how you can say with full certainty that we did not mis Toby in these games for example? Also during this unbeaten run, we drew against Wet Spam and Soton in EPL and with low-league Newport in FA cup. How can you state with full certainty that not even one of those 3 draws might not have been a win without Toby? I don't think you can. Just as I could not prove that we would have done better.

So to sum it up really short - you are trying to present it as a fact that during his absence we did not miss him one bit. And I am saying that actually we might have done even better (again, not saying we would have done badly or that we missed him a great deal, rather that he could have still something marginally). Neither can back the claims factually, so maybe let's agree that neither of us should present our points of view as solid fact?
Wasting your time.

Our longest unbeaten run in 19yrs without him says we haven't missed him, before he was injured we lost and drew games with him playing (we drew against a lower league side with him playing) so with him playing (pretending he wasn't injured and out) we might have lost and drawn more games than we did without him. But again this is speculation, I'm working off the fact of our record without him the past 5 months and that any football team, even the very, very best don't win every game.

We didn't miss Kane when he was injured last year, because Son scored lots of goals. Everyone now looks back at that period and says "we didn't miss Kane", fans and the media state this because it was so. We might miss Kane now but based on what happened last year and the last game I think we might be alright and there is a calmness within the camp and media as a consequence that we didn't miss Kane last year when he was injured, we'll find out.

All of this points to the sum of our parts as a team, I've never been more relaxed in my lifetime of supporting Spurs that we can lose a player and still perform and compete. Eriksen would be my biggest concern, but Lamela is now just clicking into gear and I have always thought he could do Eriksen's job if he got injured, whilst being very different they both are highly creative.

Last edited:
Our longest unbeaten run in 19yrs without him says we haven't missed him, before he was injured we lost and drew games with him playing (we drew against a lower league side with him playing) so with him playing (pretending he wasn't injured and out) we might have lost and drawn more games than we did without him. But again this is speculation, I'm working off the fact of our record without him the past 5 months and that any football team, even the very, very best don't win every game.
He wasn’t making those mistakes that led to draws/losses though so imo to dismiss his importance on the back of that alone is rather disingenuous.

He wasn’t responsible for either Chelsea goal (Wanyama, Lloris). Trippier caught out of position in the Burnley draw. Dele giving the ball away v WBA. Swansea was a 0-0 so no errors for the defence. Even the loss to Utd was a Dier error.

So it’s a theory that only stacks up if Alderweireld was culpable for some of those goals conceded, our inability to score more than a goal in those games is no his issue either.

Imo in his absence we’ve seen a rise in ‘sloppy’ goals conceded but have got away with it more as we’re scoring 2+ when we do so. The goals v Juve, the Dier error at Anfield. First goal at Bournemouth.

No question we are better with Toby in the team in my mind.

Toby has never to my knowledge publically said he wants to leave. His tweets reported on this thread are very supportive to the team. Let's hope a compromise will be possible as he is our best defender.
Refresh memory, did Walker say publicly he wanted to leave?!

Hope he stays even at 30 (next season) he's still got a few years in him, however we are bigger than one player losing Walker hasn't obviously hurt us, nor would losing Toby ...

Would we be 'weaker' who knows? he's contributed very little this season so a replacement wouldn't have to do much to contribute more next season ....

Players come and go ... we keep moving on up ... (bet you sung that in your head just a little bit) .....

If Poch didn't want Walker to leave (even if Walker wanted to go), he'd have kept him. Simple as that.

Poch had already been pissed off at Walker long before he came in to his office and wanted to leave.

And if Jol didn’t want Carrick to leave or AVB didn’t want Bale to depart then we would have kept them right? That’s not how it works in the real world and it hasn’t worked this way for decades. And I don’t recall any discontent with Walker. The fact that Poch routinely played him and the club offered him an improved contract only the summer before his departure suggests otherwise.

Our best centre half for some years is less of a loss than Dele, who is not progressing as a player, but is in fact is regressing, according to you.
He’s also less of a loss than Lamela who has been injured for two years, during which we’ve achieved before unheard of high league placings and great cup runs?
And also less of a loss than a guy who has played half an hour of league football?

Dele Alli is a 21 year old attacking midfielder who has assisted/scored 70 goals. At 21.

His ''regression'' has lead to 10 goals and 13 assists this season.

He has been inconsistent, but still influential. He's 21 for fuck sake, and you're saying he's regressing? No, it's called learning at that age.

It's you that is utterly ridiculous. Dele Alli is the future of this football club with Harry Kane, Harry Winks and Davinson Sanchez.

Losing Toby would mean we lose out on maybe 2-3 years of good performances. Lose Dele and it's a decade.

Hope he stays even at 30 (next season) he's still got a few years in him, however we are bigger than one player losing Walker hasn't obviously hurt us, nor would losing Toby ...

Would we be 'weaker' who knows? he's contributed very little this season so a replacement wouldn't have to do much to contribute more next season ....

Players come and go ... we keep moving on up ... (bet you sung that in your head just a little bit) .....
Aye players come and but with exception of Bale we havnt had players this good in decades!

I am not trying to say that Sanchez might not become better. I am saying that he currently is not better than Toby :) . And my point is (and I admit it is bit of knitpicking and small difference, still to me somehow worth defending) is that we could have achieved the same thing and maybe even more with Toby. You can't prove it I can't prove it. But difference is that I am not trying to say that my view is fact.

Aha, okay. Well excuse me for even answering.
We really seem to live in different world when you are putting Lamela and Moura ahead of Toby. So to put bench players ahead of defender who was part of league best defence for two seasons in a row. Apparently it is more important to the team to... be of South American heritage? Or what else so distinctive does Moura have that make him more important than our best defender?
Toby hasn’t played a part since October.....I think Moura and Lamela are more important to the team right now.

So does Poch, ouch

I’d like to see Dele in five years, where as Toby will carted out back and shot in five years.....I think Lamela is returning to his best and would be a massive loss. Hes given us so much diversity in the final third which funnily enough most of you spent last summer and January shitting your pants about.

I don’t care that Moura hasn’t played much yet. He is exactly the type of player we need and will be massive. I’m thinking about Gazza when he plays. So what if he’s only played a couple games......it’s a couple more than Toby has this year.

Ridiculous? Is it?

It’s not my choice, it’s Toby’s, ultimately cemented by Poch. I just so happen to agree with it.

If he won’t sign, and has been dropped, then I back the manager and the club. If its all bollocks, then great because as I’ve said he’s a world class defender.

But the fact is, we are proving that his loss will not be catastrophic. This is all without an actual replacement for him. If he goes, we will end up stronger than we have been since October because in that time we have had one less CB.
His sale means we gain a player.

Last edited:
And if Jol didn’t want Carrick to leave or AVB didn’t want Bale to depart then we would have kept them right? That’s not how it works in the real world and it hasn’t worked this way for decades. And I don’t recall any discontent with Walker. The fact that Poch routinely played him and the club offered him an improved contract only the summer before his departure suggests otherwise.

The Carrick and Bale situations aren't comparable at all. Its more similar to the Coutinho situation. Walker would have just knuckled down and got on with it.

Not sure what the previous summer has to do with anything, Walker hadn't pissed Pochettino off by then and be also hadn't asked to leave the club.

It is a bit like Ferguson at United with e.g. Stam and Beckham. If you don't want to fit in with the group for whatever reason on you go.

You know, the Stam comparison isn't far off. One of the best centre backs in the world coming off the back of a serious injury, not getting any younger etc and Fergie selling him because he got a reasonable price for an ageing star he thought may be injury prone.

Alderweireld will be 30 next summer? Same age Stam was when he left United. He's played 2 competitive games in 6 months. Had two serious injuries in the last two seasons.

Back
Top Bottom