Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I did as I find it impossible to quantify. I think we’d be weaker if we lost either player as I find it hard to believe we’d be able to replace like for like.

We’d be more weak if we lost any player at all and don’t replace them with a better option. I can’t think of any centre halves that are as good as or better than Toby that we could buy, therefore I think we’d be weaker if we sold him. Seems logical to me, but I’m not charging around the forum giving it “fuck him if he doesn’t want to sign” on the strength of some journo rumours and Tweets, I suppose.

The point Im making is that Toby has been out for 6 months. Selling him does not weaken us because he is not in the squad.

Everyone is saying "a fit and in form Toby......"

While true, its also fairly irrelevant because right now there is no fit in form Toby. Just the one that hasnt played since October. If he doesnt play again this season, is sold, and we buy for eg, Koulibaly from Napoli, are we weaker than we are TODAY?
Not weaker than we were last season, or with a fit and in form Toby.....but today, or the last half a year?

How?

As for the tweets and rumours, care to tell me how much truth was in the Walker and Rose rumours then? Smoke, fire and all that, and while I still dont want to accuse the player of anything yet, the facts speak for themselves.

We want the player, and the player wont sign.....he is also not being integrated, and we all know what that can mean under Poch.

The point Im making is that Toby has been out for 6 months. Selling him does not weaken us because he is not in the squad.

While true, its also fairly irrelevant because right now there is no fit in form Toby.

Sorry but you seem to base your case on the assumption that he never will get into form again? Because in the LONG RUN we would be weaker team. There is no point watching the things "as they are in this isolated moment in time". Unless ofc you would suggest that if we win against Chelsea, then we have proven that we would not be weaker team without Kane?!?

Okay, so this is where we just have to agree to disagree.

You are saying that there is absolutely now chance that having Toby would have meant that in his missed games 60% of win rate could never have been better for for us (yes, that is the ratio, but you only still bang the 19-game-run point)? That it is absolutely impossible that we could win more games? That we could not have picked up more than 2 points from the run of 4 games in EPL after he got injured? Fine. I think we could have. Yes. It is hypotetical, but still.

And for the last time, what you are saying -
"We did not miss Toby at all during that time"
What I say
"He is still our best defender, and we have done very-very well without him. Yet I still believe that we could have done even bit better with him."

I rest my case with this recap and will not answer further on that specific notion.
Good day.
If's but's & maybe's.
giphy.gif

Sorry but you seem to base your case on the assumption that he never will get into form again? Because in the LONG RUN we would be weaker team. There is no point watching the things "as they are in this isolated moment in time". Unless ofc you would suggest that if we win against Chelsea, then we have proven that we would not be weaker team without Kane?!?

An isolated moment of time......Its April next week, and he was injured in October. He is on course to be absent for 75% of this season. Yet the team is on course for one of its best finishes since 1984.

He is nearly 30, and has had a major injury....yes he will be fit again. Who knows when the relapse comes though. Maybe it will be Ledley King again, only on 180k sitting on the physios bench and dreaming about other clubs.

People keep likening it to Kane.....while talking about isolating events. Hows that for isolating an event, talking about a 30-40 goal a season 23yr old academy product as if its the same with Toby, a 29yr old CB.
We already have Jan, we´ve had King, we have Sanchez and Foyth who both show traits of being future high end CBs. How is it the same as replacing Kane?

Toby is replacable, Kane isnt. Unless you think otherwise.

While true, its also fairly irrelevant because right now there is no fit in form Toby. Just the one that hasnt played since October. If he doesnt play again this season, is sold, and we buy for eg, Koulibaly from Napoli, are we weaker than we are TODAY?
Not weaker than we were last season, or with a fit and in form Toby.....but today, or the last half a year?

How?

As for the tweets and rumours, care to tell me how much truth was in the Walker and Rose rumours then? Smoke, fire and all that, and while I still dont want to accuse the player of anything yet, the facts speak for themselves.

We want the player, and the player wont sign.....he is also not being integrated, and we all know what that can mean under Poch.
Harry Kane is not in the squad right now. We’d be weaker if we sold him though.

If we sold Toby and replaced him with Koulibaly, we would not be markedly weaker. Just as I said earlier. As I also said earlier, I’ve no confidence we would replace like for like.

You seem to be half agreeing yet still arguing because you enjoy it.

Harry Kane is not in the squad right now. We’d be weaker if we sold him though.
See my post above.....its irrelevent.
Why does there have to be a like for like pattern?

We will be a lot weaker in the long run without Kane.
We will not be a lot weaker in the long run without Toby.

The two have nothing to do with eachother.

Last edited:

Would you pay him what his agent is said to be asking for?

He wasn’t making those mistakes that led to draws/losses though so imo to dismiss his importance on the back of that alone is rather disingenuous.

He wasn’t responsible for either Chelsea goal (Wanyama, Lloris). Trippier caught out of position in the Burnley draw. Dele giving the ball away v WBA. Swansea was a 0-0 so no errors for the defence. Even the loss to Utd was a Dier error.

So it’s a theory that only stacks up if Alderweireld was culpable for some of those goals conceded, our inability to score more than a goal in those games is no his issue either.

Imo in his absence we’ve seen a rise in ‘sloppy’ goals conceded but have got away with it more as we’re scoring 2+ when we do so. The goals v Juve, the Dier error at Anfield. First goal at Bournemouth.

No question we are better with Toby in the team in my mind.
He has made errors though that have cost us games, some very important ones, you could say we lost to West Ham as a direct result of his poor defending for their 2nd and 3rd goals.

Again, this is an utterly pointless discussion because it's underpinned on pure fantasy. Had we played shit and sit outside of the top 4 then yeah, there is grounds for discussion that we have missed him, just like last year when he was out, we missed him, we couldn't get the balance of the team right to cover his absence.

11 players on the field, we defend from the front, starting with our furthest man forward. We are greater than the sum of our parts, it's the very make-up and DNA of this side. It's why/how we are still highly competitive with Tripps in the side or being without Rose, Walker, Wanyama, Winks, Lamela, Kane and Vertonghen playing.

Poch built the 2nd best defence in the league when he was at mid-table Southampton, he did this without Toby, Jan and did it with Lovren and Font. If there is a manager in World football that knows more about setting up a team that knows how to deafened from the shape of the team than Poch, then please let me know who he is.

Last edited:
Do you even read what you write?

"We will be weaker without Toby
We will be weaker without Toby

But not if we replace him"

We’d be more weak if we lost any player at all and don’t replace them with a better option. I can’t think of any centre halves that are as good as or better than Toby that we could buy, therefore I think we’d be weaker if we sold him.
I honestly don’t believe you are thick, but you just seem to misunderstand simple statements to cause a fall out. Do you have nothing better to do?

Of course we would be stronger if we replace him with a better player. As I’ve said before. As I’ve also said, yet again, I don’t think we’ll do that.

I honestly don’t believe you are thick, but you just seem to misunderstand simple statements to cause a fall out. Do you have nothing better to do?

Of course we would be stronger if we replace him with a better player. As I’ve said before. As I’ve also said, yet again, I don’t think we’ll do that.

You have been disagreeing with my posts for the last five pages that we would not be that weaker without Toby and have done just fine without him and could replace him.

Then you say we wont be weaker if we replace him

Then you accuse me of arguing for the sake of it.

.....its irrelevent whether you think will replace him or not

I think we'd all prefer Toby to stay as he IS our best defender.

If he does go then we'd prefer he went abroad.

I'm disappointed that he seems to be on his way but Poch will have a plan on how to replace him and we move on.

We would definitely need a new CB. I like our existing selection but they can definitely be upgraded, the Juve matches convinced me of this.

You have been disagreeing with my posts for the last five pages that we would not be that weaker without Toby and have done just fine without him and could replace him.

Then you say we wont be weaker if we replace him

Then you accuse me of arguing for the sake of it.

.....its irrelevent whether you think will replace him or not
You’re a fucking idiot. I’m out.

Back
Top Bottom