Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mickey Hazarrd last night “People do not realise that the players at Spurs were the third best paid in the league last season”. He and Clive Allen went on to confirm that the incentives are why they get more. Not just the base wage. Anyone leave is not doing so for the money.

And as they also pointed out. Where would Toby go where everything is better?

So while it’s hardly ENIC speaking it is at least first hand confirmation that it is not the “wages” that is the problem.

I’d say if Toby has a touch of the Walkers, we should do no more than wish him goodbye.
That will have to be represented in the accounts in September, I very much doubt we have paid more than those above regardless of bonuses

I don't want to see Toby go, if that's what happens, because we are a better team and squad with him in it. I understand if he thinks he has one "big" contract in him but I do question his judgement if he thinks he's worth more than Harry, or for that matter Christian, Delli, Jan, Moussa or Hugo. Also the grass is not always greener as many who have jumped ship will confirm.

How much we've missed him is open to debate as our record without him has been excellent and I do wonder if he may be increasingly injury prone. If so are we better cashing in during the summer for the best/right price ? If he does end up going I hope its abroad and not to one of our rivals unless Mr Levy manages to pull off a miraculous exchange deal which actually ends up strengthening us long term.

Players, however great/good are temporary, the club is permanent.

So why did Suarez leave for £65m when he had his release clause activated (£40m) with a bid for £40m + £1?
Not actually sure, maybe £40m for player and £25m for agent and signing bonus ?? (if anybody knows would love to know for sure)
In your scenario it suggests that release clauses are meaning less which is not the case.
Also just because a club has to accept the release clause value, doesn't mean that the player has to go to that club.

Not actually sure, maybe £40m for player and £25m for agent and signing bonus ?? (if anybody knows would love to know for sure)
In your scenario it suggests that release clauses are meaning less which is not the case.
I'm only suggesting that scenario if there is competition for a signature and the bidding clubs value the player greater than the release clause, not saying this is 100% the case and using the Suarez case to support it. But accept that if Barca offered him £330k pw and met the release clause and say Utd offered him £150k pw + £50m to buy to Spurs then he's still free to go to Barca........I think.

For comparison. 180k a week would make him *allegedly* the 3rd highest paid defender in the world. Above Alves and Thiago Silva, trailing only Marcelo and Sergio Ramos. Players at 2 of the most cash rich clubs in the World.

He'd be that until 33 years old.

Absolutely no chance Toby.

No it isn’t. You’ve been posting about Toby not being a huge miss. Now you are posting about his situation being like the one Suarez was in. That’s not the same thing at all.

Anyway, I’ll assume there’s a massive post coming back my way, so I can happily save you the trouble. Just post a word so you can have the last one. I’m out. So bored talking about this with you I may actually harm myself.

Pics? :adeninja:

Best English RB. Although I know a lot of our fans never rated him, always argued with my dad about him.

Think he would have been on Dybala’s heels for “that” goal.

Sort of situations he generally does well in. Someone visible to him in a straight foot race.
You see vertonghen starting position to Trippier for that goal, yet verts ends up closer to him and tripper just jogging along.

he also might have done what he got away with Sterling against citeh at the Etihad last year..shoved him in the back. and if it got spotted, thats a pen and most likely down to 10 men

its all ifs and buts. I didnt want walker to leave, but he wanted to go. so get rid.
same with alderwireld. if he wants to go, get rid.

That will have to be represented in the accounts in September, I very much doubt we have paid more than those above regardless of bonuses
Only passing on what was said. I am certainly not ITK. But if two people well connected to the club state it’s fact, then I’d rather take that at face value rather than a Red Top exclusive.

So bored with this saga, dragging on longer than "who killed Lucy Beale" in Eastenders.
Just get it sorted one way or another, I've got to the stage where I really don't care whether he stays or goes.
One thing I am sure about, no player should be allowed to hold our club to ransom.

Only passing on what was said. I am certainly not ITK. But if two people well connected to the club state it’s fact, then I’d rather take that at face value rather than a Red Top exclusive.
Even if Hazard knows our wages he won't know other teams, I get that we pay a load in bonuses but unless we have doubled revenue its really unlikely to catch up with dippers or chavs. I'm guessing Hazard exaggerated slightly as he does seem to get excited.

Someone needs to have a word with the transfer gossip writer...

Chelsea have joined the race to sign Tottenham defender Toby Alderweireld, 29, who has a £25m release clause in his contract. (Mirror)

I have seen many of the great CB's at Spurs including Norman, England, in the sixties to Ledley King more recently and Toby is up there with them as one of the best CB's we have had. He is so calm and dispocesses players so comfortably. I feel much more confident of holding a lead against a good side with Toby there. His long cross balls are excellent and he is always likely to score from corners. Sanchez and Foyth are still learning and not in the same league. In my opinion it does not matter how well we may have coped in his absence we will be a weaker team without him.
That is the playing side but there is also a financial side. Toby by refusing to sign a new improved contract has lost a lot of money and if he stays on the reduced contract that will continue. In my opinion only Kane and Eriksen are more important than Toby. The financial information we have is dated and we do not know what income the club will have next season. However we have to accept that other clubs will always be able to pay more and there will always be a figure that is too high.
It sounds as if Toby is asking for more than the club will pay and all the indications are he will go. I really hope a compromise can be found but there is no doubt in my mind that if he goes we will be a weaker team. Yes we will cope and like with the loss of Walker may get someone nearly as good in the short term and maybe in the long term they may be as good. But I cannot agree with anyone that says we will not miss him.

He said, she said... :tobyarm:

Haha, so Toby apparently wants 180k a week, but thinks we should sell him for 25M when he wants out.
Does he know this is Levy and Poch we are talking about?

See how much he's worth after a year of not even making the bench. By the end of next season he may well not have played for nearly two years by time the new one starts. Running down a contract is not too smart if you will be 31 by then.
180k a week in that condition?
He'll be lucky if Newcastle show interest

Back
Top Bottom