Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I really don’t see the big deal with him going to United. Clearly he is off so the key is getting the biggest fee possible and United will only be too willing to pay that. I put Alderwield on a par with King but he doesn’t won’t to be here and he isn’t young, perfect time to cash in. If we can sell him and sign De ligt I would very pleased.

No way should we sell Toby to Utd we are competing against them. Let him go abroad, but certainly not another club in the Premier League.

No way should we sell Toby to Utd we are competing against them. Let him go abroad, but certainly not another club in the Premier League.

It’s up to him where he wants to go and we had no issue selling Walker to City last season. What matters is what we get for him not where he goes. United are going to spend hundreds of millions each year in order to get back to where they were. We cannot prevent that so we may as well capitalise on it.

It’s up to him where he wants to go and we had no issue selling Walker to City last season. What matters is what we get for him not where he goes. United are going to spend hundreds of millions each year in order to get back to where they were. We cannot prevent that so we may as well capitalise on it.

We had no issue with Walker going to City other than we wanted £50m+ for him, once City agreed to pay he was off. We can prevent Utd getting back to where they were by not strengthening them.

We shouldn't have sold Walker, and we defo shouldn't have sold him to a rival. Probably accounts for a handful of the points between us and them now. You can't stop a player going if they really want, but you can influence where they go.

Selling Toby to Utd for example could mean 6pts lost next season as he's that good. We should avoid selling to rivals at all cost. Stating the obvious really.

May all be moot, Toby is a vain guy so will want to work on his tan somewhere like Madrid

We had no issue with Walker going to City other than we wanted £50m+ for him, once City agreed to pay he was off. We can prevent Utd getting back to where they were by not strengthening them.

And we will have no issue if someone wants to pay £80 million for Toby. We can’t prevent United from getting back to where they were, that is going to happen eventually. If we need to exploit that by cashing in on a player that wants away then so be it.

We shouldn't have sold Walker, and we defo shouldn't have sold him to a rival. Probably accounts for a handful of the points between us and them now. You can't stop a player going if they really want, but you can influence where they go.

Selling Toby to Utd for example could mean 6pts lost next season as he's that good. We should avoid selling to rivals at all cost. Stating the obvious really.

May all be moot, Toby is a vain guy so will want to work on his tan somewhere like Madrid
IMO, don't think it's Walker that has made Citeh runaway leaders, think their midfield / strikers have had more of an impact.

Like many I am baffled by some opinions here. Tobias Albertine Maurits Alderweireld has been THE BEST central defender of Spurs team since Ledley King. Period.

Yes, it is unarguable fact that we have only lost only few games after he suffered the injury and there has not been a catastrophe. To put actual numbers here since his departure (and also the games he has missed after the brief comeback; so basically those are all the games where Toby did not run onto the field) at 21.11 we have lost 4 games (ManC; Scum; Juve and Leicester), drawn 6 (Newport, Pool, Soton, Wet Spam, Watford, West Brom) and won 15. So out of 25 games we won 60%. If someone asks "could we have won more when Toby would have been fully fit" - the answer is - "we could not know". No one could say we could have, no one can say we would have, this argument swings both ways. Out of those draws as well for example we let opposition team to score 9 goals and during those draws we never kept clean sheet! I mean you could say that if these all would have been 0:0's then our defence possibly could not have been better. But given 0 clean sheets and 1,5 goals let in per game, I kind of sense that we could have won more. We dont know but might have been.

I really would not want to loose Alderweireld as he is one of the few players in our team who is truly world top class in his position. Pleasure to watch really. BTW one thing that people seems to have forgot here are his good long balls out of the defence. That helps to create room for forward players as well, and again - we cannot know, maybe some of those draws could have ended differently.

Last season he missed 12 games out of total 53. Season before 0 games (was only rested in some domestic cups). This season has missed 25, so in that sense it is true that amount of games he has missed has increased. But I would not write him off just yet.

Anyways, the most important thing I want to say is that - him being out has not ended in catastrophy, but we are stronger team with him in the squad. Losing the best players in the position will inevitably weaken the team.

If we win the FA Cup and finish 2nd, will you say we were weaker without Toby?
After what would be our best season in over 30 years?

Doesn’t add up really does it...how do you know we don’t sign a better defender?
Or that Sanchez becomes a better player than Toby next year?

He’s not Eriksen, or Kane important....I’d rather lose Toby than Jan, Dembele, Son, Lloris, Dele, Lamela and even Moura in his early days.

Nothing baffling about it really, he hasn’t played and we’ve had our best run in 19 years. Yes the squad is weaker without him....it’s weaker without Tripper too.

No doubt, but of the 81 points they have so far, prettty sure he’s accounted for a fair few of those, whilst costing us a few.
Yet we're still top 4, had a decent CL run, are F.A. Cup semi finalists. 5 points ahead of Chelsea and 13 of Woolwich.

How about looking on the bright side eh?

Fuck Kyle Walker. He fucked us and Poch over when we needed him most.

And we will have no issue if someone wants to pay £80 million for Toby. We can’t prevent United from getting back to where they were, that is going to happen eventually. If we need to exploit that by cashing in on a player that wants away then so be it.

vnkw14.gif

Would rather sell him to PSG/Juventus for 40 than United for 80. Assuming that he actually is leaving, of course.

Yet we're still top 4, had a decent CL run, are F.A. Cup semi finalists. 5 points ahead of Chelsea and 13 of Woolwich.

How about looking on the bright side eh?

Fuck Kyle Walker. He fucked us and Poch over when we needed him most.
Ok chill out fella. This is a thread about Toby, and I’m using the example of Walker to illustrate why we shouldn’t sell Toby to a competitor.

I couldn’t be happier with where we are. Peace out

And let’s not suggest that this was Poch’s decision when it was all driven by Walker

If Poch didn't want Walker to leave (even if Walker wanted to go), he'd have kept him. Simple as that.

Poch had already been pissed off at Walker long before he came in to his office and wanted to leave.

Back
Top Bottom