Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think we've coped well but we have missed him.

It's like that run we had when Kane was out injured and we still won games, looked good and scored goals. We coped. But we are ultimately a better team with him. Just like Toby.

It's a shame it's come to this to be honest. He comes across as respectful so I don't think it's anything like the Walker situation, I just think Poch knows this summer will be the only time he can get something big for Toby and he will cash in with that mindset of being able to cope without him and hoping Sanchez steps it up a notch next season with Foyth playing a more prominent role too.

I, like you, rate Foyth very highly. So composed. Comfortable moving forward with the ball. Two footed. Great balance. Not afraid to put himself about a bit. The way he dealt with the physicality of the lower league players and the likes of Andy Carroll were what impressed me most.
But we honestly haven't missed him.

We've lost some tactical flexibility mainly the ability to deploy a solid 3ATB and may be we've lost the ability to rest Dier or Jan or......whoever. But our record shows we have not missed him one bit.

Would I prefer him to stay with us? 100% yes is the answer. Would I like to have Messi in our squad and share game time with Kane? 100% yes I would.

But to have this proven back-line as it is with £60m(??) for Toby a CB that has been out more than he's been in the team. I'd go after Matthijs DE LIGT and at 18yrs old could be one of the best CB in the Word by the time he's 21 and still have enough money beef up the salaries of those that want to be here.

Many have quickly forgotten that Toby is one of the top three central defenders in the world. The only way to replace him is with one of the few players who make up the others in the top five or so. That’s unlikely, so we will not be as strong.

We won at the weekend without Kane, but nobody seems to be suggesting we’d be fine if he left. Why it’s being said about Toby amazes me.
I think we would be fine without Kane. There I said it.

Doesn't mean I don't rate him, I adore him & having an academy product is massive for fans and the feeling or the club, he's nothing other than sensational but I do rate our manager more than I rate any of our players.

Yeah I agree with Levy. No way Toby deserves to be paid more than Kane. If Kane was on 180,000 then maybe we would talk. He is an incredible player but we haven’t missed him as much as we thought. He seems to be injury prone. Sanchez has stepped in and is only going to get better. Foyth looks like a true talent who with some game time would improve as well. Let’s wish Toby the best and fleece Barca or PSG for a cool 70 or 80 million.

People are kidding themselves beyond imagination if they think that selling Toby wouldn't weaken us, not to mention the message it sends out.

As for the "We have Foyth" argument, that's the 2018 variant on the "City didn't buy Trippier because they knew we wouldn't sell him" nonsense.

People are kidding themselves beyond imagination if they think that selling Toby wouldn't weaken us, not to mention the message it sends out.

As for the "We have Foyth" argument, that's the 2018 variant on the "City didn't buy Trippier because they knew we wouldn't sell him" nonsense.
So the fact that we've only lost 3 times in five months without him means?

But we honestly haven't missed him.

We've lost some tactical flexibility mainly the ability to deploy a solid 3ATB and may be we've lost the ability to rest Dier or Jan or......whoever. But our record shows we have not missed him one bit.

Would I prefer him to stay with us? 100% yes is the answer. Would I like to have Messi in our squad and share game time with Kane? 100% yes I would.

But to have this proven back-line as it is with £60m(??) for Toby a CB that has been out more than he's been in the team. I'd go after Matthijs DE LIGT and at 18yrs old could be one of the best CB in the Word by the time he's 21 and still have enough money beef up the salaries of those that want to be here.

God, imagine if we ended up getting de Ligt and de Jong with that money. You have Vertonghen natural replacement and someone who can transition from defence to attack with ease. With change left over.

I can see both sides. It's a dilemma for Toby and the club. But I'm not Toby, and I'm not Daniel Levy, so I don't give a shite about the dilemma. As a fan, would I rather Toby Alderweireld was in the Tottenham Hotspur squad? No brainer, of course I would. Sad times if/when he leaves.

Yes. And all this Foyth fanfare reminds me of all those who actually rated fucking Chiriches when I immediately thought he was suspect. For me, the kid is well raw if talented and seriously needs to beef up if he's gonna make it in this league...

I think the truth is we're becoming strong as a unit both on the pitch and on the bench. Sure top players leaving is always going to have an impact but we're less vulnerable than we were several years ago. The club are taking steps to make sure we have adequate cover, where possible in each position. Would like Toby to stay but we have to be realistic here... if he wants to go we don't really have a lot of choice.

When Dier plays at CB he hasn't the protection that he gives CB when playing as DM. (In my head that makes sense but not sure if I've got my words in order).

Who does Dier have in front of him in the DM role when Dier is playing CB? The answer to this hasn't been Wanyama because he's been injured, it's been Winks.

If you look through these glasses there is the reason you may question Diers CB abilities. Look at Jan when he doesn't have an effective DM in front of him, he's poor 1vs1, we get into 1vs1 situations when the oppo are given a free run at him (when Winks plays there).

Dier is a very good CB.

Yes he certainly is however he loses concentration and gives silly passes away. This isn't really to do with him coping under pressure and who he has in front of him but how he keeps his head for the full 90 mins. It's that moment of madness many players go through, he needs to learn to cut it out of his game. Toby doesn't make those mistakes...

I personally prefer him a bit higher up the pitch. He's a great player and very versatile

I think admitting he can go doesn't mean he isn't rated. Losing any decent player weakens the squad.

It's a balance between what we have and what we need.

Another point about his injury record, I don't think Pochs style suits older players. After a while the prolonged intensity may result in more break downs in the player. I suspect we will always see younger players come in and older ones being sold on to maximise value.

That coaching style suits our business model as a club.

But last year I was disappointed to lose Walker, I think we are still weaker in that position today. (although Aurier will have benefited from playing games this year and for having a pre-season with us ahead of next year & Walker-Peters has impressed on his what 2(??) appearances - I think he's a better footballer than Tripps) but I don't have any fear about losing Alderwiereld as I did losing Walker. I'm very, very confident in the options we have and if Jan commits with us which he is looking to do then I think we are fine defensively.
Whilst I agree with you that we are weaker at right back than this time last year (although think Aurier will improve to Walkers level or better) I have to disagree with you about not having any fear losing Toby as you did Walker.

I believe Toby is a far more complete player than Walker was and feel that his injuries and lack of playing time have led us to forget how good he is whereas Walker was still playing up until the end.

We have got good options and I have been impressed with how well Sanchez has fitted in but we still do not as solid as a Toby-Jan back 2 or Toby-Jan-Sanchez back 3.

Having said all that I think he will sadly go this summer and although he is worth the rumoured £150,000 that is only if we are upping a lot of other player's wages too.

Last edited:
Yes he certainly is however he loses concentration and gives silly passes away. This isn't really to do with him coping under pressure and who he has in front of him but how he keeps his head for the full 90 mins. It's that moment of madness many players go through, he needs to learn to cut it out of his game. Toby doesn't make those mistakes...

I personally prefer him a bit higher up the pitch. He's a great player and very versatile
Toby gave away a free kick to Chelsea that they scored from that could be argued cost us the FA Cup semi final last year. Toby was a calamity against Newport. Toby played in the shit show against West Ham in the Kangaroo cup, responsible for their 2nd (beaten in the air against Carrol, then again by Ayew and 3rd goals when he lost his man Ogbona. He's not God, he also makes mistakes and doesn't concentrate for 90min.

Is Toby better CB than Dier? Yes he is. But I'm talking context with Dier, Toby and Jan are good because they also benefit from Dier playing in front of them. Dier had Winks in front of him. Dier also hasn't had the benefit of playing for a string of games at CB, he's parachuted in, the partnership he has with Jan isn't as well developed.

Such a shame really but a back 4 of Walker, Jan, Toby and Rose would have seen us through that game last night.
We need to get Toby and Danny wrapped up on new new contracts and back in the team PRONTO!... No more bullshit. And no more going into the big games with second rate full backs.
To be fair, Walker has had one or two brainfarts for city this year. No guarantees he wouldn't have done the same against Juve

Many have quickly forgotten that Toby is one of the top three central defenders in the world. The only way to replace him is with one of the few players who make up the others in the top five or so. That’s unlikely, so we will not be as strong.

We won at the weekend without Kane, but nobody seems to be suggesting we’d be fine if he left. Why it’s being said about Toby amazes me.

"one of the top three central defenders in the world" *when fit

I read somewhere the other day he's had more days out injured in the past 3 seasons than Gareth Bale.......

Toby is our best CB, the club should not let him ago. The board has no excuse now the stadium nearly finished. We should pay what the other EPL top clubs are paying because we now have same revenue. I understand there is a big loan but that is an excuse to not to pay the going rate salaries. If anything the new stadium was delayed and should have been built 10 years ago for half of the current cost.
The other argument would be flog him if Pochetinho thinks we have replacements in Sanchez and Foyth.

Toby is our best CB, the club should not let him ago. The board has no excuse now the stadium nearly finished.
Okay, but the fact is that the stadium isn't finished, the price tag is gigantic, and we need to establish a sensible pay structure. That doesn't mean that I think we need to be cheap about it, just that we need to establish guidelines and we've established that we can front a successful team without just spending whatever we feel like at any given time.

We aren't generating any revenue from the new stadium at the moment, and it will be a while before all of the expenses are behind us.

We should pay what the other EPL top clubs are paying because we now have same revenue. I understand there is a big loan but that is an excuse to not to pay the going rate salaries. If anything the new stadium was delayed and should have been built 10 years ago for half of the current cost.
The other argument would be flog him if Pochetinho thinks we have replacements in Sanchez and Foyth.

This doesn't make a lot of sense. We have a huge bill, we now have the same revenue as other top clubs (we aren't), the stadium couldn't have been done 10 years ago and likely wouldn't have been 1/2 the cost, and Pochettino knows what we have better than anyone on an internet forum.

Back
Top Bottom