January 2018 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would pay 50mil for Mahrez in a heartbeat. He would moonwalk into our starting 11 as we don't have a player of his qualities.
Definately add some much need strength to the squad going in to the business end of the season. A period where squad rotation and game management is gonna be a major factor in how our season turns out. Absolutely worth 50million in todays market

Tbh i don't think there is a glaring need for anyone unless they are an outright improvement on who we already have... I know things have felt a bit threadbare at times (e.g. currently at CB) but we are ACTUALLY in the process of proving that our depth IS generally good enough.

Take a look at our full squad and tell me adding any more bodies won't cause problems keeping the likes of Son, Lamella and Dier/Vic and Foyth fit when evryones fit....?

Im sure well make a few moves in the summer so content enough to be patient and trust Poch/Levy.

Lookng fwd to the disagrees from likes of John Thomas John Thomas .... Hit me up, kiddies!

:dembelefingers:
I have changed my mind on this since the last window, and I believe We do need reinforcements, poch has made it clear we have fallen behind because we leave it to late in the transfer window, obviously injuries to key players haven't helped either, but this has only highlighted our lack in depth, things look better now as we have Lamela coming back from injury, but I'd still like to see another come in there to challenge Dele & Eriksen, hopefully we also have a punt on sessegnon as well.

I have changed my mind on this since the last window, and I believe We do need reinforcements, poch has made it clear we have fallen behind because we leave it to late in the transfer window, obviously injuries to key players haven't helped either, but this has only highlighted our lack in depth, things look better now as we have Lamela coming back from injury, but I'd still like to see another come in there to challenge Dele & Eriksen, hopefully we also have a punt on sessegnon as well.

I can see similar happening but probably at the 'expense' of Sissoko, GKN and Rose.... Onomah, maybe.

So replacements/upgrades rather than added bodies.

Only so much game time to go round if the first XI manage a better injury record this next season and we don't pay the kind of money that placates the unrest caused by a lot of time on the bench.

Sonny is a fucking godsend in this sense... But even he said he saught a move this summer before Poch convinced him to stay.

Would pay 50mil for Mahrez in a heartbeat. He would moonwalk into our starting 11 as we don't have a player of his qualities.

Definately add some much need strength to the squad going in to the business end of the season. A period where squad rotation and game management is gonna be a major factor in how our season turns out. Absolutely worth 50million in todays market

Suprised to see you two agreeing with each other.

Granted he has found some form again under Puell, and he scored a decent goal against us although Vertonghen couldn't have made it any easier for him showing him on to his left. Great first touch. Pace. etc.....But his work rate and attitude stunk last year....failing to come back from international duty?!. Do we want that attitude in the club again? Given the shit Rose and Walker have got from the fans recently. Not a Poch player in the slightest.

As much as i'd like to see the look on their fans faces when he's holding up our shirt, I reckon he sees himself at a "bigger" club than us anyway.

Last edited:
They're definitely ripe for the picking. Find it amazing some are hunting for Zaha and Mahrez when Lucas Moura and Julian Draxler are so gettable. Even Pastore. A few good players been shunted to accommodate Neymar and M'Bappe.
Moura and Draxler earn 4x times the wages min.

Moura and Draxler earn 4x times the wages min.
Aurier was also on a bigger contract at PSG but he is here now.

It's not unheard of for players to take a paycut in order to get to a new club to re-find form/get playing time. But I'll readily admit that the other way around is far more talked about (moving to a "bigger" club for a bigger contract)

If we loan someone in we wouldn't be fronting their full pay either.

Granted we wouldn't be able to field any of these hypothetical names in the CL since they've been in PSG's CL squad (I assume). But being able to field say Draxler or Pastore in the PL game before a CL game to allow Eriksen to rest does not sound bad.

Mahrez is already on 100k a week at Leicester.

Its a pass all round for me.

Zaha on the other hand, if Poch bulked him out a bit more, he would terrify defenders.

To think we will go all season without having 2-3 crucial players out for several months is unrealistic. Sanchez deputies for Toby pretty well but obviously isn't at his level yet. We have missed Victor, no replacement when Ali is off his game and when Kane clearly needed a rest he was still played.

I'm up for prospects but they tend to be understudies bought with the vision of filling a hole when a senior player moves on or retires. For sure it's a balancing act between transfer fees, wages and desire to be a first team player. Personally felt Llorente was a shrewd move as he wasn't big bucks, is a quality player who will train hard and take his chances when they come. I think he's been unlucky but this strategy could help in other areas to give us much needed depth – only problem is youngsters will feel their opportunities could be limited.

In conclusion i'm at a loss but know we need more options off the bench.

I'd quite like to bring in Mahrez not just because he's a decent player but it would probably sent the clappers into meltdown ;)
(I'd even quite like to go for Sanchez at arse to really stick the knife in)

Aurier was also on a bigger contract at PSG but he is here now.

It's not unheard of for players to take a paycut in order to get to a new club to re-find form/get playing time. But I'll readily admit that the other way around is far more talked about (moving to a "bigger" club for a bigger contract)

If we loan someone in we wouldn't be fronting their full pay either.

Granted we wouldn't be able to field any of these hypothetical names in the CL since they've been in PSG's CL squad (I assume). But being able to field say Draxler or Pastore in the PL game before a CL game to allow Eriksen to rest does not sound bad.
Draxler and pastore are getting good amount of minutes at psg though, unless we're offering them guaranteed starts I can't see them joining us.

Back
Top Bottom