Refs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Did you watch the game? We were 2-0 up at half time, before they started kicking lumps out of us.......
Had he done his job and showed he was in control of the game and booked some of the Chelsea players who knows what might have happened, our players might have felt protected and not lost their head , and blown a 2-0 lead?
Yes I watched it. Not sure it was the Chelsea players that were doing all the kicking lumps out of people.
Did you honestly read into his interview that he deliberately didn’t book Chelsea players so we would lose our heads?

That oaf was always more concerned with being known and a 'celeb ref'.

It's great he's out of our league now but unfortunately there are many who strive to be like him.. dean, Atkinson etc.

Loves himself - has tattoos of the cup finals he's reffed.

Too opinionated - told Lallana during a game he had changed since his transfer.

Too concerned about media image - spurs/Chelsea.

All in all that makes a terrible ref

Video assistance HAS to come in, in my opinion.

I know there are grey areas around how and when it’s implemented but we already have Game after Game changed/ruined/ dictated by really poor decisions.

It’s bad enough when we’re playing shit and losing games but nothing makes me more frustrated/angry than us dropping points when the biggest talking points are the shit descisions that went against us.

Quite frankly any teething problems there are with adopting and implementing video assistance can’t be worse than the state of officiating right now.

He’s been stupid and narcissistic by doing this interview, however his main point stands up.

Referees need to have a certain amount of autonomy to not follow the letter of the law in matches and Clattdnburg chose a strategy that kept all 11 of ours on the pitch. I believe he is 100% correct in his assumption that if he’s sent off Dier, Lamela, Dembele, which he had reason to, every Spurs fan on the planet would be after his blood.

It would be years of “Clattenburg” cost us the title, etc. This way, he let us make an ass of it on our own. Or are we implying we can only stop knee high tackles if the red makes us?

He’s a dickhead, but he’s got a point. Should have just kept quiet about it.

We are desperate for uniform, by the book refereeing... So called individual autonomy (whilst ideal in theory) leads to the very shitfest we have at the moment.

Video assistance HAS to come in, in my opinion.

I know there are grey areas around how and when it’s implemented but we already have Game after Game changed/ruined/ dictated by really poor decisions.

It’s bad enough when we’re playing shit and losing games but nothing makes me more frustrated/angry than us dropping points when the biggest talking points are the shit descisions that went against us.

Quite frankly any teething problems there are with adopting and implementing video assistance can’t be worse than the state of officiating right now.
There is a strong case that the state of officiating has never been better in the game. It wasn't too long ago when a Ref was so unfit he could barely keep up with the play, let alone make a right call or not.

What is very, very different is the TV coverage and the absolute dross of media analysis that is incapable, bar a handful of exceptions, to simply identify the tactical battle on the pitch. The willingness of the spectator to what to know or understand where the game is being one or lost is also alarming. We live in a world that is obsessed with accentuating the negative and pilling in on it with scorn and rage, demanding blame and shame. The majority of football analysis both half-time, post game and the days that follow is totally dominated with "was it, wasn't it" discussions with online polls all over the shop.

This type of coverage only emphasis's the ref. Most are wholly unfair comments, many are split on decisions in the studio despite watching 10 slow motion replays from multiple angles.

VAR is destroy the game. It will slow it down, there will be adverts played whilst we await a decision and fans will do a cringe whhooooooo and clap noise whilst replays (along with adverts) are shown. Players will go for drinks on the touch-line, and Foster will change his entire kit.

After Spurs went 2-0 in the lead away to Chelsea, they started kicking Tottenham players and Clattenburg allowed them (to cost Tottenham's title as he said). The myth is that Spurs lost their heads, when Chelsea degraded the game under this referee who came in with an agenda.

And Paxman is 100% right! Poch gets nothing from these cheating refs who favour Woolwich & Chelsea, who both complain the most. Lets face it, the referees don't respect respect! The FA under the control of Sky have been anti-Spurs for over 10 years, it's only a few "born yesterday" snowflakes who like sand kicked in their faces and believe what the Sun says, who don't want Tottenham to stand up against this blatant cheating.

Every match, week in week out, Spurs play against 12 men.
yeah - righto

everyone's out to screw us over.

How come its always the refs fault? Never the linesmen, who are just as capable of interfering with justice............

some of you guys need to climb down off the persecution bandwagon, media, refs yada yada yada

How does not sending off Spurs players help Chelsea?
I think the point is that if the ref had dealt with Chelseas niggles a bit firmer then dier would not have felt the need to take out their players.
As it was our players quickly got the message that the ref was not going to protect them so they has to take it into their own hands.

I think the point is that if the ref had dealt with Chelseas niggles a bit firmer then dier would not have felt the need to take out their players.
As it was our players quickly got the message that the ref was not going to protect them so they has to take it into their own hands.
How does that stop Walker ploughing through the back of a Chelsea winger in the first half without any attempt to play the ball?

And seriously, is the only thing preventing Dier acting like a maniac how he perceives the referee dealt with a shirt tug earlier? He has no resposibility for his own actions?

Clattenberg may be a "Look at me! Look at me doing this!!!" buffoon but our indiscipline and unprofessionalism is on us, no one else

There is a strong case that the state of officiating has never been better in the game. It wasn't too long ago when a Ref was so unfit he could barely keep up with the play, let alone make a right call or not.

What is very, very different is the TV coverage and the absolute dross of media analysis that is incapable, bar a handful of exceptions, to simply identify the tactical battle on the pitch. The willingness of the spectator to what to know or understand where the game is being one or lost is also alarming. We live in a world that is obsessed with accentuating the negative and pilling in on it with scorn and rage, demanding blame and shame. The majority of football analysis both half-time, post game and the days that follow is totally dominated with "was it, wasn't it" discussions with online polls all over the shop.

This type of coverage only emphasis's the ref. Most are wholly unfair comments, many are split on decisions in the studio despite watching 10 slow motion replays from multiple angles.

VAR is destroy the game. It will slow it down, there will be adverts played whilst we await a decision and fans will do a cringe whhooooooo and clap noise whilst replays (along with adverts) are shown. Players will go for drinks on the touch-line, and Foster will change his entire kit.
I agree. And the biggest reason for the " all refs are shit" misconception is some managers, who always blame the ref first up, rather than entertain the idea that a shit substitution cost them the game. Or never call out the shitty decixions that go in their favour. Managers and players are as big a part of the problem as the refs themselves.

How does that stop Walker ploughing through the back of a Chelsea winger in the first half without any attempt to play the ball?

And seriously, is the only thing preventing Dier acting like a maniac how he perceives the referee dealt with a shirt tug earlier? He has no resposibility for his own actions?

Clattenberg may be a "Look at me! Look at me doing this!!!" buffoon but our indiscipline and unprofessionalism is on us, no one else

I see where you are coming, from but track record (before and since) suggests that match was an isolated incident...

....Dier is no 'Charlie Adams'.

Dembele was retrospectively punished but no one else if I recall correctly. Therefore if The Ref had missed a major Red card then it would have been retrospectively punished. The Spurs players actions were retaliation for Chelsea player provocation not punished. Same problem recently when Kane was continually brought down without punishment.

He's admitting to blatant match fixing, the result should be declared null and void with both teams getting 3 points. We can never know how this will have affected the remaining games so the only thing to do would be to share the title between us and Leicester. Uefa need to get involved in this and we haven't heard the last of it.

He's admitting to blatant match fixing, the result should be declared null and void with both teams getting 3 points. We can never know how this will have affected the remaining games so the only thing to do would be to share the title between us and Leicester. Uefa need to get involved in this and we haven't heard the last of it.
That is a joke isn’t it? Please?

Dembele was retrospectively punished but no one else if I recall correctly. Therefore if The Ref had missed a major Red card then it would have been retrospectively punished. The Spurs players actions were retaliation for Chelsea player provocation not punished. Same problem recently when Kane was continually brought down without punishment.
I think Chelsea are the lowest of the low. Utter and absolute scum. However I honestly can’t remember much Chelsea provocation in that match. I remember us taking them to the cleaners in the first half and then throwing our toys out in the second when they came back at us after Hazard came on.
As an example, there was so much more provocation at the weekend from Watford than there was at Chelsea that night.

I think Chelsea are the lowest of the low. Utter and absolute scum. However I honestly can’t remember much Chelsea provocation in that match. I remember us taking them to the cleaners in the first half and then throwing our toys out in the second when they came back at us after Hazard came on.
As an example, there was so much more provocation at the weekend from Watford than there was at Chelsea that night.

It all started with Fabregas kicking out at Dembele in the first half.

Back
Top Bottom