TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs. WEST BROMWICH ALBION

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The fa need to discipline the ref mike jones, appalling to let the time wasting go on like that, Ben foster even stalling the ball boy from doing his job. A really bad example to all the worldwide paying tv viewers of the premier league (that’s all the fa are interested in)

Poch knew what we were going to be up against, hence a very attacking line up (only having Winks as DM). Absolutely woeful goal to concede, I can't help but look at Lloris on this as I've seen passbacks hit with more pace, if you are going to cover your near post, which he did, then there is only one place the ball is likely to go, he just stood there, not sure I've seen a more WTF goal (flukes aside).

First 15 mins we were really, really poor, it was very easy for WBA. Thought we began to compete more after that but we were moving the ball way to slow. Biggest reason for this we actually pushed too many players too high, all with backs towards goal, meaning ball inevitably came backwards as nowhere to go. (Space was found 2nd half with Dembele, Eriksen, Kane and Son all finding space deeper, then committing oppo players carrying ball into the space in front of them, drawing out WBA (only a couple of players mind, so still tough), but this is where the space started to appear.

The second reason is our Wingbacks, yesterday was Davies worst game in a Spurs shirt, will not lay into him though as he's been nothing short of superb covering Rose and playing without any break in one of the most demanding of rolls for a year now (he was poor in the last game he played too, so hoping he's not carrying an injury or something). As for Tripps it was a woeful display from a championship level player, yes I have confirmation bias with him, I do try to praise him when he has a good game to give some balance but I think that has only happened in what 2, no more than 3 games since we singed him, he's shit. In games where the oppo put in a low block the fullbacks are so important to stretching the defence, but this requires an FB who can take on their opposing number 1v1, Davies isn't great at going on the outside but has been highly impressive going inside, this commits one of their players and if we have movement from say Son overlapping means space for Son or if defender closes Son's overlap down, it still means they have committed a defender improving the chance of space to appear, only if you move the ball quickly. I'd also back Son 1v1 against most defenders. Tripps can't do either, so the ball gets lumped into the box where there are 8 defenders and a keeper, so easy to defend against. BTW when teams sit deep, I've no problem with a cross comming into the box even if it's going to be defended easily as this shows some variety and keeps defence on their toes as difficult to know what to expect but that is all you are going to get from Tripps, he's a piece of piss to defend against.

Odd people are giving Llorente a hard time, he was very good when he came on, gave us another dimension too by allowing us to be a tad more direct, more vertical with a deeper ball played to him which he either held up and laid it off well, or on several occasions he laid the ball off with just one touch beautifully, he also put their defence under pressure causing them to scramble the ball out only as far as another Spurs player. Which leads me to the 3rd most disappointing part to out game, we didn't press there defence, there was no pressure on them to clear their lines, it was too easy. The only person that was working hard off the ball for us was Dele, Kane, Eriksen without the ball were listless, where this is something we know they excel at, why is the very make-up of our side.

Frustrating as fuck, but completely and utterly predictable. We have only beaten them twice in the last 7 games. Despite the areas I mentioned above where we could have done a lot better, we still created more than enough chances to win this game comfortably. If all they need is 2 fucking chances to score from, then why not us too?! There is only one team in the league that could have done better than against a side that is going to sit deep and that's City. Man U beat Brighton by a deflected own goal and created far less than we did today, we only needed one of our 23 shots to have been deflected and we would at least all be saying it's what we deserved out of the game. Liverpool would have lost, Woolwich would have lost or drawn (I'd go with them drawing as they are resting their entire first 11 for Europa so have a freshness and an energy to their side that i haven't seen in the past 5yrs). Chelsea are less consistent than us this season but are probably the closest to us right now.

Thought Poch was very brave with his subs too, from what was an already attacking line-up (FB's aside), his subs were high risk especially taking off Vertonghen.

Son was excellent today, need a couple more of our players to be able to go 1v1 against oppo and commit and turn them.

Last edited:
I am referring to not using the funds as well as they could as opposed to spending hundreds of millions buying the very best players Man City style.

I don’t think Everton’s spending is off the size to do a City, regardless of the merits of the players they got (Siggy for £50 mil was crazy).
Gotcha, sorry if I misunderstood.

The fa need to discipline the ref mike jones, appalling to let the time wasting go on like that, Ben foster even stalling the ball boy from doing his job. A really bad example to all the worldwide paying tv viewers of the premier league (that’s all the fa are interested in)

Let’s be honest the refereeing standard across the whole league is fucking terrible.

When he agrees, you agree. When he disagrees, you disagree.

Except thats not even true, save for 1 post in the last few pages of us bickering...

Compare to circle-jerk you and scott scott were enjoying here last night.

(I also stromgly suspect ArcspacE ArcspacE disagrees with EVERY post you make, so good luck with those acusations of "denial"!)

Oh, and chief melter, if you will

Dont you worry, its quite clear what you are....

It's so frustrating and happens in many games and whilst we had to endure it I'm struggling to think of another ref booking for a player, especially keeper for time-wasting. The only time you see it is a player kicking a ball away. That said, just like foul throws it's odd there are certain laws that are never enforced. Not booking him after the ball-boy incident was a joke, if ever there was a time to do it it was there, it still would have been unlikely he would have had the balls to issue a 2nd yellow latter in the game though. And as for the actual booking, when it did come that was exactly what foster would have wanted, it waisted even more time and no way was the ref going to issue another yellow.

Eriksen was very poor yesterday, as were Dele and Kane. Son at least looked up for it and was generally a menace.

Dembele was great when he came on, we really need to try and get him fit enough in order to play much more regularly. I'm a big fan of Winks but he's not better than the big Moose, not yet anyway.

Lamela coming back would give us something different but I'm really not sure what's going on with him. Has he given up on football? Did he have a breakdown? Is he just killing time until bring sold in Jan? It's bloody bizarre.

Someone should give Mulder and Scully a call to investigate. ;-)

If we get to January within a few points from top four or better yet, in the top four, I hope we are pro-active in January. Ross Barkley is a player I would be happy to see come but also Goretzka. Both are out of contract in the summer so we may be able to bring them in on a cut price deal as it's either that or Everton/Schalke lose out on a fee six months after.

Creative midfielders who can pick a pass, carry the ball and are young enough to develop further.

It's so frustrating and happens in many games and whilst we had to endure it I'm struggling to think of another ref booking for a player, especially keeper for time-wasting. The only time you see it is a player kicking a ball away. That said, just like foul throws it's odd there are certain laws that are never enforced. Not booking him after the ball-boy incident was a joke, if ever there was a time to do it it was there, it still would have been unlikely he would have had the balls to issue a 2nd yellow latter in the game though. And as for the actual booking, when it did come that was exactly what foster would have wanted, it waisted even more time and no way was the ref going to issue another yellow.

Like most sane people i avoid watching WBA like the plague... Is Foster always this much of a cunt or does he 'up' his game especially for us?

Like most sane people i avoid watching WBA like the plague... Is Foster always this much of a cunt or does he 'up' his game especially for us?
I think it was someone on here a day before the game (might have been on twitter though) that posted they couldn't wait to watch Foster pulling up his socks each time he prepared to take a goal kick. A person of wisdom whoever that was!

Ah fuck it. It's all about the European Cup

large_european_cup.jpg

Poch knew what we were going to be up against, hence a very attacking line up (only having Winks as DM). Absolutely woeful goal to concede, I can't help but look at Lloris on this as I've seen passbacks hit with more pace, if you are going to cover your near post, which he did, then there is only one place the ball is likely to go, he just stood there, not sure I've seen a more WTF goal (flukes aside).....

I was just coming back in the room so asn't completely aware of the build up, I assumed that play had been stopped or that Hugo knew the ball was going well wide.

At the speed it all happened I'd have had time to fly over from Madrid to stop the ball going in, it's the only goal I've seen where a slow motion replay would actually speed it up

Last edited:
Be interesting to know what player the Captain Hindsight's think we could have bought to turn us into a Played 12, won 11, drawn won, lost 0 side competing with City.

Apparently there are players out there that would have had us competing with City. I mean United, Chelsea and Liverpool spent fuck loads and aren't doing it, yet these idiots think we could have found those magic players just by releasing more money.

Yet, I bet they couldn't name the players.

Morons.

Be interesting to know what player the Captain Hindsight's think we could have bought to turn us into a Played 12, won 11, drawn won, lost 0 side competing with City.

Apparently there are players out there that would have had us competing with City. I mean United, Chelsea and Liverpool spent fuck loads and aren't doing it, yet these idiots think we could have found those magic players just by releasing more money.

Morons.
Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo, Mbappe...need I go on...

Morons.

Messi, Kroos and Morata.

Easy. ;-)

Yes John - the nice thing about Spaniels is that they're always happy!
They're not so fussed about 'discussing' things over which they have no control..... I wish we could all be a bit more like them (me included!)
Used to have one. A cocker, yours is a springer isnt it. Lost him about 7 years ago. Not ashamed to say I cried like a baby and still think of him to this day.

Morons.

Cool.... You got a dissagree from John Thomas John Thomas

...Godlike insight as to whom; incoming!

#SaveOurSeasonJT

Back
Top Bottom