Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So the club has gone from one that consistently used win Cup tournaments to one that now has consistent cup runs and doesn’t win anything and you herald this has some sort of achievement. Brilliant.
Where the fuck have I said that?!? You are blaming the "club's strategy" for not winning a cup, yet we've made it to many finals and semi-finals. Why isn't it Redknapp's fault for losing to Portsmouth?

The club is focussing on bigger and better competitions. Showing a bit of ambition rather than fobbing off the fanbase with the odd cup here and there.

It’s been doing that for since the start of the decade and hasn’t yielded any silverware which is the whole point. We have had two fantastic Spurs sides and yet the nothing to show for it but seemingly there is nothing wrong with that. The defintion of madness is doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results.

It’s been doing that for since the start of the decade and hasn’t yielded any silverware which is the whole point. We have had two fantastic Spurs sides and yet the nothing to show for it but seemingly there is nothing wrong with that. The defintion of madness is doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results.
Look we’re never going to agree, but why do you only post after a defeat? It’s like you enjoy it. Kick the club around all you want, but I like where we’re going as a club - if you don’t, tune out.

Where the fuck have I said that?!? You are blaming the "club's strategy" for not winning a cup, yet we've made it to many finals and semi-finals. Why isn't it Redknapp's fault for losing to Portsmouth?

It was his fault but Levy is just as culpable, there is a qualification culture at the club not one focused on winning silverware. The priority has been CL football for well over a decade now, the pressure has always be applied to that, managers have lost their jobs for this. However there is none of this when it comes to silverware, there is no urgency, no pressure or demand for trophies in any facet of the club, from the board to the supporterbase.

However there is none of this when it comes to silverware, there is no urgency, no pressure or demand for trophies in any facet of the club, from the board to the supporterbase.

Now you’re getting it. Winning the league cup is not seen as a priority any longer - not for any club. Welcome to football 2017 style.

Look we’re never going to agree, but why do you only post after a defeat? It’s like you enjoy it. Kick the club around all you want, but I like where we’re going as a club - if you don’t, tune out.

I don’t I have posted this consistently over the last 2 years when the club has enjoyed its highest league finishes but nice try with the knee jerk implication . And why on earth would i enjoy this? What is enjoyable about watching a hugely talented side not realising the opportunities in front of it? I simply just cannot understand his blaise approach when it comes to certain tournaments that have defined this club’s history. It is utterly bizarre.

Now you’re getting it. Winning the league cup is not seen as a priority any longer - not for any club. Welcome to football 2017 style.

I know it is not a priority that’s the whole point, it should be, they all should be because the club hasn’t won anything in decade. These tournament s are often a platform to other successes,it provides the required mindset and experience. But hey Tottenham Hotspur are above this right?

It was his fault but Levy is just as culpable, there is a qualification culture at the club not one focused on winning silverware. The priority has been CL football for well over a decade now, the pressure has always be applied to that, managers have lost their jobs for this. However there is none of this when it comes to silverware, there is no urgency, no pressure or demand for trophies in any facet of the club, from the board to the supporterbase.
That's rubbish, Levy has sacked fucking loads of managers. We have only qualified for CL 3 times in our history, twice in the last two years. It's funny but it's only some Spurs that complain about Levy. Every single one of our rivals would swap what they have currently running their club with Levy, with the exception of Citeh and Chavs (two of only 3 clubs in the history of World football to have been invested in at their levels). We have got to finals and semi-finals, loads of them, in fact had we won them we would be the most successful domestic cup team in the country.

So you want Poch sacked then for last night, is that what pressure you want to see applied? If not what do you think the club should do to please you that it is applying the right kind of pressure to win silverware?

I don’t I have posted this consistently over the last 2 years when the club has enjoyed its highest league finishes but nice try with the knee jerk implication . And why on earth would i enjoy this? What is enjoyable about watching a hugely talented side not realising the opportunities in front of it? I simply just cannot understand his blaise approach when it comes to certain tournaments that have defined this club’s history. It is utterly bizarre.
We've won that cup 4 times in our history! How the fuck does that define us?

Tottenham is a professional football club. Professional football clubs have always gone where the money is. In the past cup runs and wins brought in extra income from the additional games played and so more of a club’s resources were used in trying to win them. These days the money is in high league finishes and regular participation in the CL. Like it or not, football has changed, and that is why the cups have slowly become an irrelevance. The silverware you talk of has become tarnished I’m afraid. Football clubs exist to make money.

That's rubbish, Levy has sacked fucking loads of managers. We have only qualified for CL 3 times in our history, twice in the last two years. It's funny but it's only some Spurs that complain about Levy. Every single one of our rivals would swap what they have currently running their club with Levy, with the exception of Citeh and Chavs (two of only 3 clubs in the history of World football to have been invested in at their levels). We have got to finals and semi-finals, loads of them, in fact had we won them we would be the most successful domestic cup team in the country.

So you want Poch sacked then for last night, is that what pressure you want to see applied? If not what do you think the club should do to please you that it is applying the right kind of pressure to win silverware?

The club has been defined by it CL pursuit since 2005, muilple managers have talked about it being our objective at the seasons start as has Levy, the media also qualified us as this as well. Levy isn’t alone in this, this is the mindset of nearly all modern owners but that doesn’t absolve him of the consequences of this approach.You can talk about the number semi finals all you want but unless we won those tounarments it means absolutely nothing. Despite having having a number of talented sides we have nothing to show for it at a time when sides like Sevilla whose capacity is well below our own have 5 UEFA cups to their name. We have had inferior sides like United and Woolwich win multiple titles in the last couple wins when we have nothing to our name. Clearly something is amiss here. And no, there is no demand for Pochettinho to sacked, that is simply an asinine statement to make. It is simply a desire to see a change in the culture of the club, from one where the whole club, from the board, coaching staff to many of supporters no longer take such a dismissive view of such tournaments, where it actually tries to compete in those cups that represent our best chance of success and ones that have defined our history.

Tottenham is a professional football club. Professional football clubs have always gone where the money is. In the past cup runs and wins brought in extra income from the additional games played and so more of a club’s resources were used in trying to win them. These days the money is in high league finishes and regular participation in the CL. Like it or not, football has changed, and that is why the cups have slowly become an irrelevance. The silverware you talk of has become tarnished I’m afraid. Football clubs exist to make money.

Clubs never prioritised revenue streams over silverware, that change in priorith only came into being with the expansion of CL in the early 00s. And I fail to see why the supporter base should seemingly accept a club being run solely as profit orientated entity. It’s is the very thing that so many in the Woolwich supporter base are rebelling against and yet so many of our own are entirely accepting of this. What is worse is not only are some accepting of this they are embracing it and deride tournaments due their commercial failings. It utter complete madness.

The club is focussing on bigger and better competitions. Showing a bit of ambition rather than fobbing off the fanbase with the odd cup here and there.
Couldn't give a flying fuck about the league cup. I want a gold star on our badge. I am on holiday in holland at the moment and I am seeing the ajax shirts with their four stars on the shirt. I want a gold star below our cockrel. The league cup is fuck all.

Clubs never prioritised revenue streams over silverware, that change in priory only came into being with the expansion of CL in the early 00s.

I’ve tried to explain. Silverware was the additional revenue. Now it isn’t. The money made by winning cups is negligible compared to what’s on offer elsewhere. I don’t make the rules, I’m just trying to point out why the focus has changed. Let’s leave it shall we?

They were the players (along with the rest) that didn't bother and strolled around the pitch for 90 mins.
I suspect they will find out exactly how much Poch cares at training today.

I hope so. Slow subs aside, my only other gripe is evidently the boys didn't get the right team-talk at half time.

I dont buy this idea that they have been somehow 'brainwashed' by Pochs comments in his press-conf - Surely press training 101 teaches them that what is presented to the press in such circumstances, isnt to be taken on board as 'true' policy.

IMO all his comments amounted to was "I'll rotate cos this isnt as big as PL/CL"; which is essentially fine and true. He chose to not insult anyones intelligence.

He has too much class to stand there and, in not so many words, cuss both the competition and our rotation players (of which there were surprisingly few given his comments) in front of the cameras.

If any player saw any of this as an excuse to cruise, its on them - Not Poch.

The club has been defined by it CL pursuit since 2005, muilple managers have talked about it being our objective at the seasons start as has Levy, the media also qualified us as this as well. Levy isn’t alone in this, this is the mindset of nearly all modern owners but that doesn’t absolve him of the consequences of this approach.You can talk about the number semi finals all you want but unless we won those tounarments it means absolutely nothing. Despite having having a number of talented sides we have nothing to show for it at a time when sides like Sevilla whose capacity is well below our own have 5 UEFA cups to their name. We have had inferior sides like United and Woolwich win multiple titles in the last couple wins when we have nothing to our name. Clearly something is amiss here. And no, there is no demand for Pochettinho to sacked, that is simply an asinine statement to make. It is simply a desire to see a change in the culture of the club, from one where the whole club, from the board, coaching staff to many of supporters no longer take such a dismissive view of such tournaments, where it actually tries to compete in those cups that represent our best chance of success and ones that have defined our history.
The pursuit/focus of CL has seen us rise form 12th 14th in the league to a title contender. That in its self is amazing. Our progress has been steady and not lighting fast, frustrating as fuck, but that too I'm sure means that it's genuine, it's under pinned with sound foundations, we are not doing a here to today gone tomorrow, we are consistent which means things are mostly right.

Now we have Poch, in the short space of time he's been here he has upped the anti and he's saying that aiming for CL qualification is not what we should be doing, he has now got us focused on the ultimate prizes namely winning the CL and the League Title, even as i type those words out, it's unbelievable that this is the reality we find ourselves in. And it's not just him saying this, it's Levy too. It's why the investment into the club around stadia, training centre's etc is being done, all part of the foundations required for an elite football club to have the tools to compete at the worlds top table. You seem pissed off at this, sorry if I've misread your posts, but the Kangaroo Cup isn't what an Elite club focusses on, it would appear no club focuses on it, or else Norwich, Wolves etc would have played a full strength side. I'm not a massive fan of the quote if I'm honest but I'll trott it out anyway, “It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory.” This is exactly what we are doing now, we are aiming for the top and maybe as a consequence other pots will come our way, as the better the team that is built, the better the opportunities for cup to be won too.

I'm saying we have got to many semi-final and finals as a consequence of being a good side that's the point of the reference. The strategy of the club so far has enabled us to slowly but steadily improve, climb out from the gutter and into a title contender. The fact that we haven't won anything isn't down to the strategy of the club, it's been down to drawing a better team than us at the team (more often than not we've lost to the winner of the cup and/or the best side in the league that year). Man U were completely out played last year by Southampton, they were outplayed in the EL semi-final too (they deservedly won it). Woolwich have drawn fuck Hull twice in FA Cup and fucking relegated Villa!!!

You want the see a change of culture at the club. What specifically is wrong with the culture today and what should it change too? What does the club have to do?

Last edited:
I like Pochettino but last night he was out done by Bilic. He had no response in the second half. Absolutely no reason why Trippier should of been left to be hammered down that right hand side.

Poch can do what he wants in the League Cup and I will accept it more than I have done in the past. The natural consequence of his attitude though is that his Premier League and Champions League campaigns will be more heavily scrutinised. So far he has done nothing to warrant criticism in those areas but his comments have left very little room for error, if for whatever reason he does happen to slip up in improving us consistently in his major competitions.

You really don't think that going all the way to the Europa League final (and therefore playing nine additional games in the spring) would have contributed (at least in a small part) to Man United finishing outside the top 4?

Though that's a separate issue to how we shit the bed last night.

To be fair, even Jose acknowledged they'd have to prioritise EL over PL.... Was plain to see from early last season that they'd struggle with top four. Yet CL qualification was a must for both Maureen's ego and the club's redevelopment. Also, lets not forget the toll of a successful LeagueCup run in the mix (afterall isnt this the very root cause of this sub debate? lol)...

Jose went out, played shitty football, got loads of draws (that unbeaten run - 16 games and still 6th! lol), yet bagged two cups cos they faced teams even lesser equiped for long cup runs than they (Utd) ought to be given size/cash etc.... (+ Knockout footy suits his griding shitty style anyway.)

Juggling cup competitions with league fixetures isn't suddenly a new thing... In the days when domestic cups were more widely respected by the fans, clubs wouldnt bat an eyelideyelid and there used to be even MORE league fixtures back then too... Qualify for Europe too and hey back to 'battling on four fronts' (sound familiar? : P).

S'funny, I thought Top-4 and a cup represented a peachy outcome for those of reasonable expectations round here... Even so much as mere weeks ago (the posts and treads are out there).

Last night WAS embarrassing (which in a certain sense is positive when you consider the gulf it reflects between us and them)... Just wonder if many of the dismissive or philosophical mindsets being adopted and changing of heart that can be seen round here is somewhat of a coping strategy for their dissapointment.

I could actually understand that, but the idea that we're seen by some of our own to be too big for these cups doesnt sit well with me sadly (see 25 years). [Note: as per other threads dont think Poch did anything but try to win the game last night.]

...Indeed, whats done is done, but I'll crave this tin pot no less next season.

(Rant aspect of thid not directed at you Thin Lilywhite Duke.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom