Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're being silly.

It doesn't require any more pace than when we smashed Leicester 6-1 on a field almost identical to Wembley, or when we demolished Hull 7-1 on a field much larger than Wembley.

Pitch size 90% does not matter.
The pace thing is a myth.....I'd like to know how many goals Walker contributed to?

We scored 107 goals last season.

Sorry, we lacked what? Did we walk the ball into the net?

Look at our goals. Forget the mantra, go and watch our goals from last season and tell me that just because we didn't have Carl Lewis on the pitch that our attacks were laboured.

We are too patient at times, but that's not about pace. We move the ball with pace.

Walker was not our biggest threat in attack, yet is the fasted in the PL.

So what's the point here?

The discussion needs to be gauged in terms of expectation. If we are happy with being a nearly team like last two seasons we are very fine. If we are talking about winning the title, we are a little short. It is that bit require to move us over the line. Added pace up-front can be that bit lacking.

Base on last season, we have been consistent. We can destroy average teams, but struggled against some of the top teams. When met with quality, we needed something more.

Against top teams we might be lacking in other areas but pace up front appears more glaring. We broke away slower than teams like Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool etc. I cannot take the argument that we choose not to break fast and stick to patient build up. Walker or Rose might not contribute directly to goals but their fast runs stretch teams and open up space.

Agree pace alone means nothing. Then again we are talking about winning title, hence we are talking about players with pace and skills. Aguero, Jesus, Lukaku, Mane, Sane are such players. Sissoko all pace no skill, Vincent good skill no pace.

The argument is, get someone with both. Of course such ready players are either to expensive or too high salary. Hence Levy and Poch strategy is to get young unproven but great potential ones. I think we just have to accept that.Again,given a choice I will take an unknown with pace rather than without, skills level aside.

We rejected the chance to sign Ousmanne Dembele too.

One of the biggest fuck ups in recent history.
What a shame. Should have fuck kept going w that family name. Had awsome start w our Dembelle. So those three Dembelles are all real brothers? Or just same last name?

As i said earlier in this thread...it does make a massive differene bringing our new signings in early in the window. Levy again doesnt get it and would rather save a few mill here and there which has the danger of costing us points (and it has done this season). Sacrifising a poor start to the season to save a little ££ is small time and its why the bigc clubs don't do it.

Aurier is crucial.

Trippier showed how limited he was last week, but he was hideously exposed today against a team he should be doing well against.

I think the quicker we integrate Sanchez in the team the better, just due to his pace. i imagine his inclusion will come in with the addition of Aurier.

We knew he was leaving months ago and still fucking wait until the last minute to replace him. It's beyond a joke.
There's no cast iron guarantee we'll replace him yet. We still have to get Aurier into the country.

I'm sure things are pretty solid contractually between us and Aurier (pending a work permit) but, if you're Conte or Mourinho looking at us today, you're going to want to see if there's any way of disrupting that deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom