The mighty Tottenham Hotspur v. Plastic chavs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think he's wrong that Conte only played that way because he was forced to by injuries.

He's scared of us and would have set up defensively even with Hazard and Pedro.

I think you're right, if they were set up a little more attacking with Hazard or Pedro they would have a more adventurous attitude to the game, under those circumstances it would have been easier to expose Chelsea.

The fact is they had just conceded 3 and they weren't going to do that again, we got stuck in to a niggly game and made the essential worst possible error against this set up, we conceded the first goal, they then just absorbed us, the feeling I had walking back down Wembley Way is that we got played.

We had the better chances and didn't take them, we made avoidable mistakes and conceded, we have to look at this game in two simple lessons. We need to show better discipline in key areas, we dived in and got drawn in to stupid fouls and this disrupted the flow of the game. We need to be ruthless when we get in front of goal and be more varied in attack, we had a stupid amount of corners and while our goal came from a cross, it was still a header one of our players didn't win! We also needed faster transitioning to bend their defensive shape out of line and create space.

All that said we should have still got away with a draw when we weren't firing on all cylinders and now we have to reflect on being sharper. This hopefully will prove a useful kick up the arse as opposed to a sign of lingering death!

Said it to the people around me at half time...Chelsea's performance was essentially a Mourinho masterclass.
Sit back, absorb the pressure and hope for a set piece or a goal on the break.

Generally, I think we looked quite good. Chelsea is a good team, and if there's one thing they know it's bucking down, parking the bus and defending like hell.
They did that, but they were under enormous pressure at times.
It all comes down to small details in the end. Kane hitting the post, Wanyama losing the ball, and that's just football.

For me, Kane was massive. I couldn't help but smile at his tenacity. Brilliant display from him.

In the other end, Wanyama had his worst game in a Spurs shirt. He lost the ball 5 or so times trying to carry/dribble it forwards. Why Dier was substituted instead of him is a mystery, and Poch I think is not without blame here.

But fuck it. It's not like they dominated us, they barely scraped a win. Fuck em.

We will plough through it. COYS

In the other end, Wanyama had his worst game in a Spurs shirt. He lost the ball 5 or so times trying to carry/dribble it forwards. Why Dier was substituted instead of him is a mystery, and Poch I think is not without blame here.

I think because Dier was on a booking and Wanyama wasn't.

Neither of them played well, Wanyama looks like he's not 100% fit.

Just managed to watch the game now, haven't read the thread, but I'm fucking fuming. Same fucking shit again. Exact same script as every time we are in this position. I said it here earlier that we are naive against these cunts, and yet again they had our number. I'm sure plenty of people here think that we 'outplayed' them or whatever but you are just kidding yourself at this point. That match went 99% as Conte had planned; they had us exactly where they wanted most of the time. We could have been down 3 in the first 20 minutes alone. Having tame possession where you just pass it sideways and backwards just barely keep it all together, that's not dominating, it's waiting to get beaten.

Wanyama had an absolute nightmare, they clearly had him targeted, every time the ball went into him in the centre circle, there were 5 blue shirts on him and he gave the ball away a dozen times. Lloris should have done much better for their winner. Kane should have brought down Kante in that counter attack, if you are gonna pick up the yellow anyway then bring the fucker down, tear his shirt off if you have to.

I'm so fucking sick of these absolute putrid cunts having the last laugh. This was supposed to be the 'best time to play chelsea', but the way we go about it there is never a good time to play them, cause we always make a meal of it. The tactic of slow, negative possession is not gonna do the trick against a well-organised counter attacking team full of expensive top level players, so why do we keep fucking falling for it. Our passing isn't fast enough, it's not accurate enough to get through their numbers pressing, so why do we not switch it up and do something different in these big games??

Ant that, gets it said.

Said it to the people around me at half time...Chelsea's performance was essentially a Mourinho masterclass.
Sit back, absorb the pressure and hope for a set piece or a goal on the break.
He choose to have them sit deep but that was nowhere near a "masterclass". I've seen Pullis do a more professional job than that. When a team choses to sit deep and it's done well the attacking team doesn't get through, we still got through, we still created chances. Leicester can be argued a "masterclass" because they at least create clear cut opportunities on the oppositions goal, Chelsea didn't. Despite Chelsea playing a low block, we still hassled them off the ball and into mistakes, yesterday Chelsea had their lowest pass completion rate in the prem!! The only area on the pitch where they had the better of us (won the individual battle) was on Wanyama, but thought Dier backed him up well and the problem was made worse by taking Dier off.

Even where we could have been much better, out wide, we still had them pinned back and unable for them to pass out through us.

Masterclass, my arse.

I was worried about Wembley at the start of the summer, then calmed down over it. Yesterday all my concerns came back.

We can say its not an issue.......but it is isnt it.

We would have won that game yesterday at WHL, because thats our home, and we would die before we lost the first game of the season there to them, after going unbeaten last year.

Thats the problem...not pitch size or long grass.

Wembley is a muted sterile shithole, the noise always sounds like children shouting as it just carries off into the air and fades. Its fucking red, and above all, its a neutral ground.

We have no home. That to me is a problem in itself, but renting out a plastic stadium with no soul just makes it worse.

I was worried about Wembley at the start of the summer, then calmed down over it. Yesterday all my concerns came back.

We would have won that game yesterday at WHL, because thats our home, and we would die before we lost the first game of the season there to them, after going unbeaten last year.

Wembley is a muted sterile shithole, the noise always sounds like children shouting as it just carries off into the air and fades. Its fucking red, and above all, its a neutral ground.

We have no home. That to me is a problem in itself, but renting out a plastic stadium with no soul just makes it worse.
That's why I felt yesterday was a cup final and not just another league game. We had to nuke that niggling thing at the back of our minds and, in my opinion, we failed and that may cost us over the season. Poch says that it's not about the pitch, it's about the players. Well, I do agree with that, but at the same time playing what is essentially 38 away games must have an impact.

Still fuming about this game, quite shocked I'm seeing so many people claiming we completely outplayed them and deserved to win. I thought we were pretty poor but for the last 15 mins of the first half, we had loads of possession but on the whole they looked comfortable sitting back against us. What I'm really pissed off about though is our naivety, there is no way after equalising late in that game Chelsea would of thrown it away again. I don't know if Poch has urged them to carry on gung ho for the winner or it was just awful judgement from Hugo to quickly throw the ball out in search for the winner but we've got to wise up in these types of games. After getting the equaliser we should of been a bit more patient, we didnt have to keep throwing everyone foward, a draw wouldn't of been a bad result this early in the season, but this defeat just puts us under even more pressure at wembley for our next game.

It really, really wasn't that bad mate. I've been dreading the atmosphere this year and there will be games like Burnley where it will be shit, but don't remember the Lane rocking when we played Burnley. That was the best atmosphere I have ever experienced at 'new' Wembley and I must have been there 20 odd times now.

Objectively the game didn't have a salty derby atmosphere, this I concede was lacking and I miss that but we were singing all around the ground (lower tier certainly). It was loud, the fans were willing to sing. We didn't sing for 90 mins, but I never heard us singing for 90mins at the Lane.

I'm not for one moment suggesting it will be a breeze playing there and there are numerous challenges for fans, may be players too(??). I don't like Wembley for many of the reasons but yesterday we had near 74k spurs fans in one place, 3,000 short of an all-time PL record, the largest attendance by nearly 20k of any game game at the weekend. We are a quality side, we showed that yesterday too.

Narratives being built:
1. There seems to be an expectation that we must sell out a 90k stadium each week. Why?
2. Hoodoo. Any jorno, pundit, paid professional in the game that writes this deserved to be ridiculed for putting it out there, unless they are Glenn Hoddle or David Icke and admit to such beliefs.

Still fuming about this game, quite shocked I'm seeing so many people claiming we completely outplayed them and deserved to win. I thought we were pretty poor but for the last 15 mins of the first half, we had loads of possession but on the whole they looked comfortable sitting back against us. What I'm really pissed off about though is our naivety, there is no way after equalising late in that game Chelsea would of thrown it away again. I don't know if Poch has urged them to carry on gung ho for the winner or it was just awful judgement from Hugo to quickly throw the ball out in search for the winner but we've got to wise up in these types of games. After getting the equaliser we should of been a bit more patient, we didnt have to keep throwing everyone foward, a draw wouldn't of been a bad result this early in the season, but this defeat just puts us under even more pressure at wembley for our next game.
Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. What if Wamyama managed to get his pass away to the right? It's painful as fuck, but it's so easy to say we need to just be pragmatic and settle for the point. But I refuse to lay into a side that has the mentality to always want to win. This is the absolute definition of what a winning mentality is, thought we all craved that, that's what us supporters love to see. I know that this mentality will see us over the line more than it doesn't. This mentality saw us beat West Ham and Swansea last year, many others too. What if we chose to sit on a draw in these games?

Last edited:
He choose to have them sit deep but that was nowhere near a "masterclass". I've seen Pullis do a more professional job than that. When a team choses to sit deep and it's done well the attacking team doesn't get through, we still got through, we still created chances. Leicester can be argued a "masterclass" because they at least create clear cut opportunities on the oppositions goal, Chelsea didn't. Despite Chelsea playing a low block, we still hassled them off the ball and into mistakes, yesterday Chelsea had their lowest pass completion rate in the prem!! The only area on the pitch where they had the better of us (won the individual battle) was on Wanyama, but thought Dier backed him up well and the problem was made worse by taking Dier off.

Even where we could have been much better, out wide, we still had them pinned back and unable for them to pass out through us.

Masterclass, my arse.
Agree to disagree!
The masterclass was in sitting back, soaking up the pressure and taking your chances to nick 3 points - which is exactly what they did. Did we really create that many clear goalscoring opportunities? Did we really pepper their goal so that Courtois was man of the match?

They had a job to do and they did it perfectly.

Man, are you drinking? Please stop overanalysing. Or take it to the New Stadium thread.

I didn't think the atmosphere was too bad yesterday. Wembley is never going to match up to WHL but it was better than I feared it would be. The Park Lane/Shelfside song worked quite well and the noise when the goal went in was fantastic. It had its quiet moments but most games do.

I have got to say though that I fucking curled up with embarrassment when that fucking drum started. Amplified drums!! We are fucking Tottenham fercrissakes!

Agree to disagree!
The masterclass was in sitting back, soaking up the pressure and taking your chances to nick 3 points - which is exactly what they did. Did we really create that many clear goalscoring opportunities? Did we really pepper their goal so that Courtois was man of the match?

They had a job to do and they did it perfectly.
We have come up against far harder teams that have chosen to play that way. Teams that don't give us a sniff at goal. We had our chances to win, Kane was outstanding, one of the best games I've seen him play, they couldn't handle him. There were loads of things we could have done better. The point is that was not a Masterclass from Conte, his low block wasn't as effective as a Pullis, thought Newcastle were better last week (although aided deliberately by a slowed pitch), Leicester are better at that than Chelsea yesterday.

I always recommend watching the game again when the anger/frustration subsides (I'm not ready yet, so will hope I can do that tomorrow) but you should see that was not an exercise of brilliance by Conte. There would be an entirely different narrative being spun had Hugo not let that goal in. What do you think the chav's supporters would be saying about only having 2 shots on target? I've got a number of Chav mates, despite the obvious gloat because it's against us, they are fuming and deeply worried at how they set up. They have a lot of concerns.

We have come up against far harder teams that have chosen to play that way. Teams that don't give us a sniff at goal. We had our chances to win, Kane was outstanding, one of the best games I've seen him play, they couldn't handle him. There were loads of things we could have done better. The point is that was not a Masterclass from Conte, his low block wasn't as effective as a Pullis, thought Newcastle were better last week (although aided deliberately by a slowed pitch), Leicester are better at that than Chelsea yesterday.

I always recommend watching the game again when the anger/frustration subsides (I'm not ready yet, so will hope I can do that tomorrow) but you should see that was not an exercise of brilliance by Conte. There would be an entirely different narrative being spun had Hugo not let that goal in. What do you think the chav's supporters would be saying about only having 2 shots on target? I've got a number of Chav mates, despite the obvious gloat because it's against us, they are fuming and deeply worried at how they set up. They have a lot of concerns.
Maybe I should have worded it differently. I'm not saying that Conte is a genius...I meant the way the game panned out was EXACTLY what is deemed a Mourinho masterclass when he does it. Sitting back, absorbing the pressure and then getting goals against the run of play - 1st one being a free kick and the winner being a break following a Spurs attack.

Had it finished 1-1 I'd still have the same opinion and I think they'd still be happy with nicking a point.

Newcastle might have been better last week but we beat them 2-0.
We lost to Chelsea 2-1 after they sat back for 90 minutes and took their only two chances on target - that's the comparison to the Mourinho masterclass.

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. What if Wamyama managed to get his pass away to the right? It's painful as fuck, but it's so easy to say we need to just be pragmatic and settle for the point. But I refuse to lay into a side that has the mentality to always want to win. This is the absolute definition of what a winning mentality is, thought we all craved that, that that's what us supporters love to see. I know that this mentality will see us over the line more than it doesn't. This mentality saw us beat West Ham and Swansea last year, many others too. What if we chose to sit on a draw in these games?

That is a nicely made point, one its easy to forget about. I didn't want to settle for a point, after equalizing...
I wanted us to bury them with goals! Can't do that by playing safe and sitting on the ball.

Maybe away from home in the CL and you snatch a equalizer late on like this game, that's it you have the away goal so shut up shop. But not when you are playing your hated rivals in the PL in the 2nd game.

Back
Top Bottom