The mighty Tottenham Hotspur v. Plastic chavs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It is a cliche but we just lost to a very weakened title rival at home. There comes a point where performences need to become results.

We're a fantastic football team and are very capable of winning trophies but we need to take points from these sort of games. Imagine we went to Stamford bridge without Kane Alli Dembele and Toby, and won! Thats close enough to what Chelsea did to us today.. their confidence will be through the roof now.

I'm still confident we will turn it round at Wembley and I'm looking forward to a good season.. just a little annoyed we let a great opportunity slip again today.
We have spanked them 5-3 with Fazio, Mason, Bentaleb & Chadli.

Last edited:
We have spanned them 5-3 with Fazio, Mason, Bentaleb & Chadli.

And Townsend!

Yeah to be honest that was a bloody great day.

At white hart lane we have been very good against Chelsea the last few years. Wembley is another story.. good but not successful

Very good point regarding the money. However our team are defiantly capable of winning games like today. It's the fact that we played well and didn't get a result again that annoys me. (Just like the fa cup, Monaco, Stamford bridge last season, gent.)

No doubt Chelsea are a good side though, if they've shown anything in their last two games with us, it's that they're are very clinacal
Yep, frustrating as fuck. But saw nothing today that is cause for concern. It was always goo g to be a game of small margins and so it proved.

Not at all, don't get me wrong, we've had some cracking results against the big boys last couple of seasons. I'm more referring to our games at Wembley.

I don't buy into the pitch size and atmosphere reasonings, I think it's just a mental thing with the players. And I just feel today was a great chance to get over that.

I don't want to sound overly negative here, I know it's just one game and we're going to bounce back. It just hurts losing to them lot again after outplaying them. Only just got over the fa cup to be honest.

Disappointed at the outcome. It's too early to think about the long season ahead but if we take it one game at a time, this was a great opportunity wasted.

I always thought consolidating top 4 in a year away from WHL would be a fantastic achievement & stand by that. I don't really care about how many games we went without losing. It became a monkey on our back & we drew too many in that time. So it's back to winning ways next week.
How can not losing become a problem? That's mental.

Not buying into the Wembly factor. We dominated 70 of the 90.
Unlucky again. Sissoko's gaff cost us a point.
Not sure Son shouldn't have started. He's a weapon. Wish Dier, Wanyama, and even Demble were more of a scoring threat.

How can not losing become a problem? That's mental.
It isn't. But drawing a lot of games because we are maintaining an unbeaten record can be. The chavs had an abysmal start last year & went on to win it comfortably. They lost more games than we did over the season. I just think that the unbeaten tag became a burden & once we had rid ourselves of it we picked up a lot of points. I dunno why, but it also made us more adventurous & we played some of the best football I've seen in years. Prior to that, & during the unbeaten run, we drew too many games & looked very cagey. Maybe it's coincidence.

It isn't. But drawing a lot of games because we are maintaining an unbeaten record can be. The chavs had an abysmal start last year & went on to win it comfortably. They lost more games than we did over the season. I just think that the unbeaten tag became a burden & once we had rid ourselves of it we picked up a lot of points. I dunno why, but it also made us more adventurous & we played some of the best football I've seen in years. Prior to that, & during the unbeaten run, we drew too many games & looked very cagey. Maybe it's coincidence.
Fair enough mate, but I believe that was the platform from which we launched our best season for 54 years. Had there been 3 defeats in those opening 12 games, it could well of derailed our season before it had really begun. Take the reaction to today's result for example.

How's things anyway you shandy drinking cunt?

Just managed to watch the game now, haven't read the thread, but I'm fucking fuming. Same fucking shit again. Exact same script as every time we are in this position. I said it here earlier that we are naive against these cunts, and yet again they had our number. I'm sure plenty of people here think that we 'outplayed' them or whatever but you are just kidding yourself at this point. That match went 99% as Conte had planned; they had us exactly where they wanted most of the time. We could have been down 3 in the first 20 minutes alone. Having tame possession where you just pass it sideways and backwards just barely keep it all together, that's not dominating, it's waiting to get beaten.

Wanyama had an absolute nightmare, they clearly had him targeted, every time the ball went into him in the centre circle, there were 5 blue shirts on him and he gave the ball away a dozen times. Lloris should have done much better for their winner. Kane should have brought down Kante in that counter attack, if you are gonna pick up the yellow anyway then bring the fucker down, tear his shirt off if you have to.

I'm so fucking sick of these absolute putrid cunts having the last laugh. This was supposed to be the 'best time to play chelsea', but the way we go about it there is never a good time to play them, cause we always make a meal of it. The tactic of slow, negative possession is not gonna do the trick against a well-organised counter attacking team full of expensive top level players, so why do we keep fucking falling for it. Our passing isn't fast enough, it's not accurate enough to get through their numbers pressing, so why do we not switch it up and do something different in these big games??

Last edited:
Fair enough mate, but I believe that was the platform from which we launched our best season for 54 years. Had there been 3 defeats in those opening 12 games, it could well of derailed our season before it had really begun. Take the reaction to today's result for example.

How's things anyway you shandy drinking cunt?
I'm not bad you southern softie.
I've not seen too much adverse reaction to today, beyond natural disappointment. I think we were fucking unlucky not to walk away with at least... a draw. If we put in that level of performance every week, we will be absolutely fine. How many times will we concede 2 goals from 2 shots on target all game? The free kick, you just have to take that one. It was a worldie. The second was avoidable & 9/10 Lloris saves it at his near post. I'm optimistic we will consolidate top 4 & in a season away from home, that's pretty impressive.

Just managed to watch the game now, haven't read the thread or anything, but I'm fucking fuming. Same fucking shit again. Exact same script as every time we are in this position. I said it in thread earlier that we are naive against these cunts, and yet again they had our number. I'm sure plenty of people here think that we 'outplayed' them or whatever but you are just kidding yourself at this point. That match went 99% as Conte had planned; they had us exactly where they wanted most of the time. We could have been down 3 in the first 20 minutes alone. Having tame possession where you just pass it sideways and backwards just barely keep it all together, that's not dominating, it's waiting to get beaten.

Wanyama had an absolute nightmare, they clearly had him targeted, every time the ball went into him in the centre circle, there were 5 blue shirts on him and he gave the ball away a dozen times. Lloris should have done much better for their winner. Kane should have brought down Kante in that counter attack, if you are gonna pick up the yellow anyway then bring the fucker down, tear his shirt off if you have to.

I'm so fucking sick of these absolute putrid cunts having the last laugh. This was supposed to be the 'best time to play chelsea', but the way we go about it there is never a good time to play them, cause we always make a meal of it. The tactic of slow, negative possession is not gonna do the trick against a well-organised counter attacking team full of expensive top level players, so why do we keep fucking falling for it. Our passing isn't fast enough, it's not accurate enough to get through their numbers pressing, so why do we not switch it up and do something different in these big game??
Go to bed.

I'm not bad you southern softie.
I've not seen too much adverse reaction to today, beyond natural disappointment. I think we were fucking unlucky not to walk away with at least... a draw. If we put in that level of performance every week, we will be absolutely fine. How many times will we concede 2 goals from 2 shots on target all game? The free kick, you just have to take that one. It was a worldie. The second was avoidable & 9/10 Lloris saves it at his near post. I'm optimistic we will consolidate top 4 & in a season away from home, that's pretty impressive.

But at least we've got the unbeaten thing off our back early. PL and CL titles incoming. Maybe a few more defeats in the next few matches could well set us up for a record breaking season?

Just managed to watch the game now, haven't read the thread, but I'm fucking fuming. Same fucking shit again. Exact same script as every time we are in this position. I said it here earlier that we are naive against these cunts, and yet again they had our number. I'm sure plenty of people here think that we 'outplayed' them or whatever but you are just kidding yourself at this point. That match went 99% as Conte had planned; they had us exactly where they wanted most of the time. We could have been down 3 in the first 20 minutes alone. Having tame possession where you just pass it sideways and backwards just barely keep it all together, that's not dominating, it's waiting to get beaten.

I'm so fucking sick of these absolute putrid cunts having the last laugh. This was supposed to be the 'best time to play chelsea', but the way we go about it there is never a good time to play them, cause we always make a meal of it. The tactic of slow, negative possession is not gonna do the trick against a well-organised counter attacking team full of expensive top level players, so why do we keep fucking falling for it. Our passing isn't fast enough, it's not accurate enough to get through their numbers pressing, so why do we not switch it up and do something different in these big games??

They showed us where to go and we left them the space they were after to exploit.

We struggle against good counter attacking teams (Liverpool and Leicester as well) and Conte's targeting of big Vics first touch is ultimately what won it for them. I love Poch as he adheres to the Spurs traditions of attacking more than nullifying the opposition but in today's game, finding chinks in the others armour isn't underhanded, it's the modern game. Felt more like a cup game than a league game. I think we'll have a decent season, but an unusual one because of the Wembley situ.

A few players needed. Would love a Mane type signing to really give our attack a different option. Not many of them about though

I feel like we're missing a certain incisiveness in our midfield. We create plenty of chance, probably a lot more than most. But we don't get a lot of chances where our forwards are getting goals served to them on a silver platter. Wanyama and Dembele are great, but they don't create the sort of chance from midfield that Kane, Eriksen, and Dele can pounce on. A lot of our opportunities come from half chances and long shots. We rely too much on our fullbacks and forwards to play that final ball from out wide or create something magic and I wish more of that was coming from the center and midfield. We have a lot of creativity in Eriksen and Dele, but they play so forward and need someone behind them to also provide that. That's just my two cents anyway.

I hate losing to them more than anything. Watching today's game was painful :pochsulk:

Forget the Wembley nonsense, it has little to naught to do with that. This is a problem with our mentality and approach. We need to realise that we are not good enough to go toe to toe in high press/high defence/possession play with the mega rich clubs. We have to change our style and be tougher to fuck with in these kinds of games instead of playing the 'tragic hero' while the other cunt gets the 3 points.

Also fuck Sky and Neville, the fuckers were talking nothing but Chelsea form start to finish. Everything was from their point of view and how they need to win. That shit Neville sounded like his mother was getting assaulted in front of him at the slightest hint that Chelsea might not get the win; ''I worry for Chelsea, I worry for Chelsea'', he was almost in tears when the own goal went in. And then immediately at 1-2, he went into doubling down on the 'Spurs losing at Wembley again' narrative as I imagine they will every fucking match until we get a run of wins.

Ive never bought that kind of argument that Dele was poor due to Davies not doing his job.....who told Dele to go left wing? I doubt Poch did, so if he took that decision on his own, it was a poor decision, and he did nothing good out there anyway.
When Son came on for Dier, we played 4141. Alli left, Eriksen right, Son and Dembele behind Kane. So Poch askes Alli to go left.

Back
Top Bottom