Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or I'd see him more likely developing into a CM driving us forward like Dembele does. How's his injury history?
Lousy. But Barkley can't do what Mousa does. Literally no one in Europe can. There is no other player on Earth that combines Dembele's strength, dribbling, and passing with that defending.

Barkley does not have those tools either. If we're talking about a non-Dembele midfield , you're talking, by necessity, about a different kind of player. And if so, do you rate Barkley above Winks as that guy? I sure as hell don't.

Exactly - even if you think he's shite, he cost £30m less than Sissoko (and probably £70k week less minimum) and would have made no difference to our season if we just used him instead.

I'd rather we use what we've got if we've got someone to use. Winks had next to no experience when he came in, and he was quality. Even Rasiak looked half decent in the last few games before we binned him off - so there's no point in spending money in this market unless there's a strong guarantee that they can do more than the academy lads would (CCV, KWP, Onomah, Edwards, Amos, Harrison, Sterling, Tracey etc).
I fucken agree with you. Usually I'm ready to call you a cunt. But today we are as one, talking beautiful sense. Beautiful.

Why do so many people hate Barkley?

His numbers and stats are pretty good on paper.

As for "He isn't worth £25 mil", have you seen the market this summer?

I think Barkley has great potential. I look at Tripper who was 24-25 when he joined us, yet he's improved a hell of a lot in just two years - to the point where when we sell the best RB in the league many of us aren't biting our finger nails to the bone in worry.

I think Poch could do wonders with the lad and I think Koeman has treated him like shit.

I think Barkley has great potential. I look at Tripper who was 24-25 when he joined us, yet he's improved a hell of a lot in just two years - to the point where when we sell the best RB in the league many of us aren't biting our finger nails to the bone in worry.

I think Poch could do wonders with the lad and I think Koeman has treated him like shit.
Simple.

Don't rate him.

I don't hate him - simply think he doesn't improve our first 11 hence a pointless signing

Stats are very decieving in football, I saw Barkley numerous times, some flare and speed but bottom line he's not a top drawer on par with Alli\Eriksen\or even Lamela. He could be handy coming off the bench and or when we want to go out all guns blazing, but if we are going to splash the money he's not the player I want us to drop 30mil on

*don't buy players that are not PL-proven - too uncertain!*

*rely on our youngsters - who are not proven in any senior league - instead*

... the state of some of these anti-buy fools on here. :pochfacepalm:
According to some the genuises on here there is literally not a single signing in Europe that would improve us. Do you understand the level of buffoon we're dealing with here?

I can't see a line. Who are we talking about? Brockville?

Bit weird, only does it on mobile

Capture_2017-07-16-17-02-01.png

Mate, I think onomah is fucken shite. I've said as much for a long time on here. But you're spot on. We have the core of excellence we need. Letting youngsters come through and get more game time is no greater risk than buying in new players. If anything it's a much lower risk.
Onomah is a central midfield player not an AM.
He was head and shoulders above his age group in the U20 WC. Playing in his position.
He's a tackler and distributor not a dribbling goal scorer.
More of a Dembele than a Son.
If everyone trusts in Pochettino so much then Onomah must have something.

Lousy. But Barkley can't do what Mousa does. Literally no one in Europe can. There is no other player on Earth that combines Dembele's strength, dribbling, and passing with that defending.

Barkley does not have those tools either. If we're talking about a non-Dembele midfield , you're talking, by necessity, about a different kind of player. And if so, do you rate Barkley above Winks as that guy? I sure as hell don't.
I think Barkley and Winks are different types of players. And I wouldn't want to see Barkley block Winks' development but we need options and more quality in depth.

Winks got injured last season and we were then relying on Dembele staying fit which is always on a tightrope.

Bottom line is Barkley is a lot better, I believe, than the perception of him. There is some serious raw talent there that Poch could work wonders with.

A lot of people bitched and moaned in a similar way about the Wanyama signing don't forget.

Stats are very decieving in football, I saw Barkley numerous times, some flare and speed but bottom line he's not a top drawer on par with Alli\Eriksen\or even Lamela. He could be handy coming off the bench and or when we want to go out all guns blazing, but if we are going to splash the money he's not the player I want us to drop 30mil on

I used to think that about Rose when he replaced BAE, and when Dawson was benched for Verts (if memory serves me correctly). Anyone who thinks that Poch couldn't take Barkley to the next level in all round performance hasn't been watching this team develope at all, and for sure does not understand the quality coaches we have at the club.

If we're going to sign players we should be looking at those ones that are used to playing on massive pitches. Goodison Park is pretty tiny, so I think that Barkley would struggle with the move to Wembley. However, Everton fans seem to think that losing him would be a very big loss for their club, so maybe there's something that I'm not seeing in his play. I wouldn't be entirely opposed to Barkley, but I think we should be setting our sights a little bit higher than him.

I used to think that about Rose when he replaced BAE, and when Dawson was benched for Verts (if memory serves me correctly). Anyone who thinks that Poch couldn't take Barkley to the next level in all round performance hasn't been watching this team develope at all, and for sure does not understand the quality coaches we have at the club.
Fucking hell, you people are like cultists, Poch is a great manager but he's not infallible. Look at Njie\Sissoko and such. We can question the transfer moves as they're made by people who can err just like us. (I remember having exactly the same argument about that cock-socket Saido and I was dead right)

I think Barkley is not worth the 30mil, and a fully maximized Barkley still falls short of any of our front starters.

If we're going to sign players we should be looking at those ones that are used to playing on massive pitches. Goodison Park is pretty tiny, so I think that Barkley would struggle with the move to Wembley. However, Everton fans seem to think that losing him would be a very big loss for their club, so maybe there's something that I'm not seeing in his play. I wouldn't be entirely opposed to Barkley, but I think we should be setting our sights a little bit higher than him.
Pitch size is about 90 percent myth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom