Spam vs Thee Mighty Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The irony (no pun intended) of last night was that realistically, a point was all we needed... and still do! Unless either Liverpool and Man City don't win all their fixtures they can both still get to 78 points... but to do that, Liverpool have to play West Ham at Fortress London next weekend before we play Man Utd... be interesting to see if they go all out to stop Liverpool finishing 2nd, or roll over, let Liverpool brush them aside whilst convincing themselves they directly caused us to bottle it to 2nd!!

Conversely, and depending on how much you care about ArseAnal's season... continued wins for Liverpool & Man City this weekend would also cement themselves further into 3rd/4th place... I just don't wanna go into the last few away games having to find that point from somewhere... unless we really have learned anything from last season and can finish it off next weekend!

Last edited:
Like all of you I can accept defeat. We didn't play well last night, far too slow in possession and not enough attacking edge to our game. Spam won their cup final, let them have their moment, the two clubs are miles apart on and off the pitch, they are an irrelevance.

But what I am getting sick to death of is the media portrayal of us. I switched the commentary off last night, our fans were singing and all the homes were booing, the commentary was the salt of the earth supporters drowning out some other fans half attempting a song!!! Then it was all about the ' rivalry', what a joke, they might see us a rival but as I wrote above, we are miles apart. Spam is a derby, just like chavs or palace, we know the real rivalry.

So this morning, just like last season we are bottlers? Anyone know what we have bottled exactly?

Have we been top of the league at any point this season? The gap was 12 points 3 months ago, we closed it to 4 points, but we are bottlers????

The bottlers are Liverpool. No Europe to distract them, sky's faves have a ' top' manager, they did bottle it three seasons ago, where are they? Loses at home to palace and Swansea, do they get labelled bottlers?

Man city and man utd? Bottlers? Yes, both sky faves changed managers, sky love them, always a bit controversial and a funny comment in them, happy to dig out their own players in front of the media. Spent a shed load of money, big wages on big players, and both clubs are in the same position they were this time last year? Bottlers? I would say so.

How many points are we ahead of the Manchester clubs? And the media thinks spam are our rivals? It's so deluded it's laughable.

Woolwich? Yes, bottlers, were they top earlier this season? We have not been at any stage, but apparently we are the bottlers.

The same experts who slate the national team and then salivate over man u, city and Liverpool, when there is only one club giving young English talent the chance to come through.

Like all of you I can accept defeat. We didn't play well last night, far too slow in possession and not enough attacking edge to our game. Spam won their cup final, let them have their moment, the two clubs are miles apart on and off the pitch, they are an irrelevance.

But what I am getting sick to death of is the media portrayal of us. I switched the commentary off last night, our fans were singing and all the homes were booing, the commentary was the salt of the earth supporters drowning out some other fans half attempting a song!!! Then it was all about the ' rivalry', what a joke, they might see us a rival but as I wrote above, we are miles apart. Spam is a derby, just like chavs or palace, we know the real rivalry.

So this morning, just like last season we are bottlers? Anyone know what we have bottled exactly?

Have we been top of the league at any point this season? The gap was 12 points 3 months ago, we closed it to 4 points, but we are bottlers????

The bottlers are Liverpool. No Europe to distract them, sky's faves have a ' top' manager, they did bottle it three seasons ago, where are they? Loses at home to palace and Swansea, do they get labelled bottlers?

Man city and man utd? Bottlers? Yes, both sky faves changed managers, sky love them, always a bit controversial and a funny comment in them, happy to dig out their own players in front of the media. Spent a shed load of money, big wages on big players, and both clubs are in the same position they were this time last year? Bottlers? I would say so.

How many points are we ahead of the Manchester clubs? And the media thinks spam are our rivals? It's so deluded it's laughable.

Woolwich? Yes, bottlers, were they top earlier this season? We have not been at any stage, but apparently we are the bottlers.

The same experts who slate the national team and then salivate over man u, city and Liverpool, when there is only one club giving young English talent the chance to come through.

Fabulous post. It's a shame that the Sky subscribing masses are simply too thick to realise this.

"Bottleing It" can come in different forms
last year the players kept coming out with the big em "we are coming for you" then they lost their heads
this year at the big games (FA cup semi, & West Ham's cup final) the players showed they lack that little bit extra that is needed in the big games that have the pressure on them

Don't even see the point of this Spurs team. They give you just enough for you to start hoping, then bottle it when the pressure is on.

Last season we could have closed the gap on Leicester. Lost.
This season we can close the gap on Chelsea. Lost.

They're skillful, athletic, technical but they still crack under any real pressure at all.

Straight out of the CL
Straight out of the EL
Thrashed by Chelsea in the FA
Lost to Liverpool in the LC

Now lost the title to Chelsea via losing to West Ham. Brilliant.

Waste of time. Consistently the best team over 2 years, and for what? We've won fuck all and Chelsea/United could end the season with 2 trophies despite playing shit. So sick of it.
What a cunt you are. Honestly that's the worst post I've seen from anyone on here. Every right to feel disappointed but to miss the point and be so far and out of touch with reality it's alarming, I'd seek professional help, I mean it.

Woke up. My feeling immediately was For FUCK SAKE.

This is one of those defeats that it is going to be hard to move on from.

Mystified as to how they were so good and we so insepid.

But what I am getting sick to death of is the media portrayal of us. ....

100% correct Sir!
...whenever SKY occasionally do their hypothetical Calendar Year season graphic (usually in an attempt to put ArseAnal top or make it look like Walcott is top scorer) it makes me wonder why bother...?

But if they want to delve a little more deeply and do a '2 Year Season' graphic based on what the league would look like had we included both Last season and this seasons results in one 'mega-league table' ... it might make painful, but truthful reading for some of them!

Here's last season's Top 10:
1 Leicester City (C) 81
Woolwich 71
3 Tottenham Hotspur 70
Manchester City 66
5 Manchester United 66
6 Southampton 63
7 West Ham United 62
8 Liverpool 60
9 Stoke City 51
10 Chelsea 50

...and here's this season's, as it stands (I've had to dip down to 12th to find Leicester!:

1 CHELSEA 81
2 TOTTENHAM 77
3 LIVERPOOL 69
4 MAN CITY 66
5 MAN UTD 65
6 Woolwich 60
7 EVERTON 58
8 WBA 44
9 WEST HAM 42
10 SOUTHAMPTON 41
11 BOURNEMOUTH 41
12 LEICESTER 40

I can't be arsed doing all of them, but with crude calculations, I make it that Spurs would be top on an impressve maximum break of 147 points... Man City would be 2nd on 132, Chelsea would have tied with Man Utd and Arseanal on 131, with Champions Leicester on 121... perennial Spurs spoilers West Ham would be around the 104 mark... I don't care about the rest!

The Man Utd/Chelsea/Arse tie is interesting, as although they end up on the same points, their respective seasons have fluctuated wildly!!
A case for "it all evens itself up over the course of the season" if ever I saw it!

But as for us being bottlers?? (which was the whole point of the exercise) no fucking WAY Jose... Jurgen... Pep... Arsesne... !

...actually, I take it all back about media bias... The Sun have beaten me to it!
rr-table-tottenham-1.jpg

I wish they had just done a 76 game MEGA SEASON and we could all be sitting proudly on top of the pile!!!
Knowing our luck, they'll bring the idea in the season after next, and have someone else win it!

Last edited:
100% correct Sir!
...whenever SKY occasionally do their hypothetical Calendar Year season graphic (usually in an attempt to put ArseAnal top or make it look like Walcott is top scorer) it makes me wonder why bother...?

But if they want to delve a little more deeply and do a '2 Year Season' graphic based on what the league would look like had we included both Last season and this seasons results in one 'mega-league table' ... it might make painful, but truthful reading for some of them!

Here's last season's Top 10:
1 Leicester City (C) 81
Woolwich 71
3 Tottenham Hotspur 70
Manchester City 66
5 Manchester United 66
6 Southampton 63
7 West Ham United 62
8 Liverpool 60
9 Stoke City 51
10 Chelsea 50

...and here's this season's, as it stands (I've had to dip down to 12th to find Leicester!:

1 CHELSEA 81
2 TOTTENHAM 77
3 LIVERPOOL 69
4 MAN CITY 66
5 MAN UTD 65
6 Woolwich 60
7 EVERTON 58
8 WBA 44
9 WEST HAM 42
10 SOUTHAMPTON 41
11 BOURNEMOUTH 41
12 LEICESTER 40

I can't be arsed doing all of them, but with crude calculations, I make it that Spurs would be top on an impressve maximum break of 147 points... Man City would be 2nd on 132, Chelsea would have tied with Man Utd and Arseanal on 131, with Champions Leicester on 121... perennial Spurs spoilers West Ham would be around the 104 mark... I don't care about the rest!

The Man Utd/Chelsea/Arse tie is interesting, as although they end up on the same points, their respective seasons have fluctuated wildly!!
A case for "it all evens itself up over the course of the season" if ever I saw it!

But as for us being bottlers?? (which was the whole point of the exercise) no fucking WAY Jose... Jurgen... Pep... Arsesne... !

...actually, I take it all back about media bias... The Sun have beaten me to it!
rr-table-tottenham-1.jpg
I really hate that they always harp on about net spend, but never wages. That is the reason it's so impressive we are where we are.

Fantastic post mate. Sentiments shared. I am fcuking fcuked off and p!ssed about last night but we have been beyond good and a defeat was going to come. It cannot translate that we suddenly become all Spursy.

But we MUST finish second.

Brilliant post.

Strangely, I don't think that was our worst performance of the season - Liverpool away was that for me, we just didn't seem to turn up at all. I'd say at Sunderland, that was forgettable, also away at Palace the game felt similar to yesterday, only in that game we managed to find the guile to get the goal and had Sakho not been injured, that game could have ended 0-0, there is an element of 'fine margins' West Ham didn't have the better attacks until after they'd scored, had we have managed to score our Kane chance in the first half it could have been a very different game.

The problem last night was we didn't react well after conceding, they had 2 very good chances to kill the game off, albeit one was literally the last kick of the game. West Ham seemed to have a lot more energy in the press and were denying space very effectively in the centre, we had plenty of possession but just couldn't quite find the right ball, this was still a game we could have nicked but I don't think we were quite dynamic enough and I think there was some mental complacency, we were on a good run and West Ham weren't looking all that much of a problem, none of us thought they'd turn out to be a tougher opponent that Woolwich, sadly they were.

I know Walker seems to be the focus of transfer speculation but take that aside, he didn't look great against Palace and I'm not sure he looked great last night either, I think he's a better player than Trippier but he seems out of form at the moment, whether that's through injury, fatigue or mental state, he just didn't seem at the races. There were a number of times where holes were being found in defence and as I said in an earlier post Alderweireld did have a rare mistake in him, that thankfully didn't cost us and we had moments where we were sloppy, looking at their goal, there were opportunities to stop the cross and clear in once it had got in to the box , the goal was a little like ours against Woolwich where the striker shows more desire to get to the ball than the defender.

West Ham defended very well and played a decent pressing game, we didn't have the right mentality and didn't create enough chances, there were probably 2 or 3 good chances, most notably the lovely move where Eriksen just powder-puffed the shot, we needed to be ruthless in a game of few chances.

I am not sure the big pitch argument is a reason for the loss, it does become a concern because there seems to be a trend showing, that said the pitch size wasn't the reason we conceded or fluffed our lines when the chances came our way. The truth is we need to adapt to it and make advantage of it or else next season is going to be long!

I have a special place of dislike for West Ham, as they do hate us, going to school, there were a couple of kids who were always convinced West Ham were going to beat Spurs, they were a bigger club and that Marco Boogers would set the Premier League alight, I even remember one season when they were relegated one of them telling me it was just that the other teams were going up to the Premier League and West Ham weren't going up... So I know how much last night will mean to them, but one win does not make up for the fact they're broken and nor does it change the fact we've had a great run and another impressive season... But still, fuck 'em!!

Stayed away from here after the game, couldn't bear the like of Jayc1 Jayc1 as guessing they were out in force?
The media and opposing fans are now labbeling us as bottlers...
You know what though if being bottlers is having the best young squad in the PL signed up on long contracts I will take that,
If being bottler is having the best young manager in The world I can take that as well,
If being bottlers is having the best stadium being built right next door being bottlers I can take that as well.......
Yesterday fucking hurt a lot, but the only reason for that is because how far we have come under Poch in this project, it's the same as last season things are changing at the club, our goal at the club is no longer TOP 4 it's to win the fucking PL!!! Tell that to yourself 3 years ago and who would have believed it? Granted we are not the finished article yet but we are getting very close, and the best thing is we haven't sold our identity to the highest bidder, or permenaltly moved away from out home to get a free stadium we can't even fill!
Good things are coming, I honestly believe that! Keep believing, and most importantly enjoy being a fucking yid!

I'm still struggling to relate to the game.....even though I was there

There's no way I can describe just how far away you are from the pitch in the upper tier.....incidents happen on the pitch, but they don't seem real.

If we'd won today I'd feel the same, I've been to all kinds of shit stadiums around the world. Theirs is standout the worst by a long way.

Well put. I take it you were in the upper tier as well? The view and the fact that the pitch occupied such a small portion of what your eyes are taking in gave the night a surreal quality. It was a bit like watching a tiny TV screen from the back of a crowded pub.

Back
Top Bottom