Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No mate I can't, I get them off a stat site and I am fucked if I'm going trawl through game by game corner by corner, bollocks to that.

Who gives a flying fuck if it's a cross from the right apart from you?

Carry on and ignore the facts about his creativity, facts are he is one of our most creative players, which also makes him one of the Leagues most creative players. I couldn't give a fuck if he cost £5m or £45m. I just look at what a player contributes.

OK, just watched every league goal from last season:

We scored 3 goals directly from Eriksen corners. At home to Stoke, West Ham and Newcastle. And we scored 3 2nd phase goals from Eriksen corners. Home to Swansea and Woolwich and away to Bournemouth.

We did not score a single league goal from a Lamela corner. Another Lamela urban myth busted!

I can't remember a player in recent history that has divided opinion more than Lamela. We are what 4 years in and I must confess I am still not sure what we have in him. He has been very good at times but also flatters to deceive almost equally imo.

The only thing I can draw from him missing this year is that while he could be an important player for us, but he certainly isn't irreplaceable either as by and large we have had a very good season thus far. If we had been without Kane, Rose, Toby, Dele, or Eriksen for the season I think we would be far worse off.

That being said as I said before at this point we are probably better holding on to him this summer and hoping he hits the ground running next season. No sense in selling him at a discount when he has at times proven to be useful.

OK, just watched every league goal from last season:

We scored 3 goals directly from Eriksen corners. At home to Stoke, West Ham and Newcastle. And we scored 3 2nd phase goals from Eriksen corners. Home to Swansea and Woolwich and away to Bournemouth.

We did not score a single league goal from a Lamela corner. Another Lamela urban myth busted!

Did you read my post? They're not myths. Lamela was one of the most creative players in the league last year. FACT.

Considering that very few of his key passes / assists where contributed to by him taking set pieces makes them all the more impressive imo.

Did you read my post? They're not myths. Lamela was one of the most creative players in the league last year. FACT.

Considering that very few of his key passes / assists where contributed to by him taking set pieces makes them all the more impressive imo.

The use of stats is an import from American sports that doesn't translate well to football in my opinion. We had both the leading scorer and highest scoring midfielder last season, so anyone playing with them is gonna have good stats. But really, how often is Lamela the man to make the difference? Not very often at all in my opinion

No, I can guarantee you we didn't score 5 league goals from Lamela's corners last season. Name the goals please.

I specifically said crosses from the right, where Lamela plays. I think that's the only Lamela cross from which a goal has been scored. This isn't good enough for a 30 million pound wide forward/midfielder.

What the hell has left or right got to do with it? He was being compared to Eriksen who takes them from both sides.... Cannot fathom what your point is on that front, but regardless corners were mentioned as an additional string to Lamela's proverbial bow.... If you are actually suggesting that we should get rid of Lamela due to 'goals from corners' stats then you have clearly lost the plot(*).

(No offense, but seriously.... WFD?)

Erik is good but Dele is miles better than him.

Although exaggerated; granted, but can we go as far as saying Erik is "Good enough" and end this dumb debate... Some, if not most of the justification for criticism being thrown about weak at best.

Unless he is terminally 'broken' then a world where we get rid of Erik before Sissoko, N'Jie, Onomah and others is one hell of a fucked up place!

Last edited:
The use of stats is an import from American sports that doesn't translate well to football in my opinion. We had both the leading scorer and highest scoring midfielder last season, so anyone playing with them is gonna have good stats. But really, how often is Lamela the man to make the difference? Not very often at all in my opinion

Yes, its an often used rebuttal for the stats adverse (particularly when they are used to disprove an opinion)

But we're not talking ultra complex algorithms / metrics here.

Key passes / chances created / assists - these figures change games. i.e. make the difference.

Player | Team | Football | Stats Comparison Tool | Squawka.com

Lamela isn't at the elite level of Eriksen or Ozil with these characteristics, no other player in the division is, but he is comparable with other long admired "creative players" in the league. On top of that he wins / attempts more tackles than any other comparable creative player, the only "Forward" player in the league who is close to him for winning the ball back is Alli.

Now you're not a stat fan cos the original pressumed statistical claims you made blew up in your face?

...and now resulting to 'dissagree' post ratings and ignoring replies rather than counter arguments.

Poor show, mate!

What the hell has left or right got to do with it? He was being compared to Eriksen who takes them from both sides.... Cannot fathom what your point is on that front, but regardless corners were mentioned as an additional string to Lamela's proverbial bow.... If you are actually suggesting that we should get rid of Lamela due to 'goals from corners' stats then you have clearly lost the plot(*).

(No offense, but seriously.... WFD?)

You're straw manning. I debunked the myth that Lamela is better than corners than Eriksen and also that he doesn't provide goals from open play crosses like Eriksen does - is one in nearly four years enough then for a player in wide position? Is 8 league goals in 4 years enough? Is missing practically two seasons out of four good enough? Do we want to become the new Woolwich where injury prone players who never achieve their potential stay at the club for years on end on ever bigger contracts? No thanks. Poch has shown he's more ruthless and less stubborn than Wenger, which is why Lamela will probably be on his way come the Summer.

So the question is would I rather have an injury prone player like Lamela who can provide something to the team or donkey like Sissoko who contributes very little but at least he stays fit?

Imagine where we would be if we fucked off every player to pick up injuries while playing with us. Wouldn't have gotten 80m for Bale for one. Imagine where Liverpool would have been if they had flogged Torres after his first 2 injury plagued seasons?

Poch may be ruthless NW1Spur NW1Spur , but thankfully he isn't as thick as you. :lamelaaghh:

Yes, its an often used rebuttal for the stats adverse (particularly when they are used to disprove an opinion)

But we're not talking ultra complex algorithms / metrics here.

Key passes / chances created / assists - these figures change games. i.e. make the difference.

Player | Team | Football | Stats Comparison Tool | Squawka.com

Lamela isn't at the elite level of Eriksen or Ozil with these characteristics, no other player in the division is, but he is comparable with other long admired "creative players" in the league. On top of that he wins / attempts more tackles than any other comparable creative player, the only "Forward" player in the league who is close to him for winning the ball back is Alli.

The stats say Ben Davies made a bigger attacking difference in our 3-2 win against Everton than Son did in our 3-2 win against West Ham. Do you think the stats tell the true story I'm this case?

Was he almost off in the summer?

Or was that last season where Poch pulled out of a loan to Marseille at the last minute? He then stayed and played some of his best football.
Yes, I meant summer last (I wasn't clear) and yes we got a great season out of him. None of us know any facts about his situation. My opinion, he seems lost and he will be off in the summer.

You are right he had a brilliant season last year but the team has had a brilliant season this, without him. For the record, Im a fan of his and supported him through the period of doubt.

You're straw manning.

Really?

...Only it seems you already got a little fucking desperate on that front yourself above.

Remind me again, what was all that right/left side bollocks all about?

How about the made-up 5 vs 1 stat?

I debunked the myth that Lamela is better than corners than Eriksen...

You missed out the word UNSUCCESFULLY but, yeh carry on if you must....

8 league goals in 4 years enough? Is missing practically two seasons out of four good enough? Do we want to become the new Woolwich where injury prone players who never achieve their potential stay at the club for years on end on ever bigger contracts? No thanks. Poch has shown he's more ruthless and less stubborn than Wenger, which is why Lamela will probably be on his way come the Summer.

"Not enough goals... Waaahhhhh!!!! " :boring:

You are right he had a brilliant season last year but the team has had a brilliant season this, without him.

....How on earth does that equate to us being anything but stronger upon his return?????

Guys... It's ok, we ARE allowed more than 11 good players in our squad at any given time.

You're straw manning. I debunked the myth that Lamela is better than corners than Eriksen and also that he doesn't provide goals from open play crosses like Eriksen does - is one in nearly four years enough then for a player in wide position? Is 8 league goals in 4 years enough? Is missing practically two seasons out of four good enough? Do we want to become the new Woolwich where injury prone players who never achieve their potential stay at the club for years on end on ever bigger contracts? No thanks. Poch has shown he's more ruthless and less stubborn than Wenger, which is why Lamela will probably be on his way come the Summer.
Ok...so can you tell me who you would bring in to replace our outgoing Argentinian burden?

The stats say Ben Davies made a bigger attacking difference in our 3-2 win against Everton than Son did in our 3-2 win against West Ham. Do you think the stats tell the true story I'm this case?

(Without reviewing the game) potentially, YES.... Considering Son as a player and the fact he didn't score in that game, it becomes even more plausible.

What stats say that exactly? Got a link?
Son got 2 assists in the West Ham match in 25 minutes on the pitch, and Davies got 1 against Everton in 95 minutes on the pitch.

What stats say that exactly? Got a link?
Son got 2 assists in the West Ham match in 25 minutes on the pitch, and Davies got 1 against Everton in 95 minutes on the pitch.

No, Son didn't any assists. His cross for Kane's equaliser was deflected and winning a penalty doesn't constitute an assist but Davies passing the ball 5 yards and then Kane blasting it in from 30 yards does. An assist is often a BS stat, which is why it's better to refer to specific actions rather than just stats.

Back
Top Bottom