Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm kinda insecure, can someone reassure me these guys haven't a fucking clue what they're talking about? Personally I'm at the stage where I feel if surgery is the only solution lets get a move on, write this season off and get him fighting fit for Wembley next season. I know Kane is injured but the rest of the team are doing well, is there any point rocking the boat at this stage, however much I rate Lamella...

Would just add to your final sentence- or anyone else we could afford to bring in.

More than likely, unless we take a risk on another "unpolished gem". Cos that always works out so well for us.

He's not on silly wages, he's shown that he's completely bought into and understands Poch's methods and philosophy and doesn't require any "reshaping".

I just don't understand the calls to sell him. People cant seem to get over the fact that he's not Bale part 2 and never will be.

The argument of we haven't missed him this season bugs me a fair bit. I reckon we'd have been just as well off if we had lost Eriksen or Alli but still had Lamela. Eriksen, Alli and Lamela for me are all of the same level and fortunately 2 of the 3 will get us through. The only players we have in the squad who we have no ideal back up for at the same level is Kane, Toby and Lloris.

Not a chance Lamela is as good as either of those two especially Dele Alli who's end product alone makes him far more valuable to the team.

More than likely, unless we take a risk on another "unpolished gem". Cos that always works out so well for us.

He's not on silly wages, he's shown that he's completely bought into and understands Poch's methods and philosophy and doesn't require any "reshaping".

I just don't understand the calls to sell him. People cant seem to get over the fact that he's not Bale part 2 and never will be.
I guess this is the main problem people have. He was lauded as Bale's replacement. But there are only 4 or 5 other players on the planet in Bale's class bracket.

That aside, selling him is utterly bonkers.
If his hip is fucked, nobody will go near him. So the only option is to get him fit again.

Then sell him.
:goonermong:

The stats Vs watching football argument is a tedious and repetitive one and is perpetuated by those that only see in black and white.

In short, stats don't replace actually watching football,
they do however (if used and combined correctly) allow us to objectify and substantiate our impressions gained from watching the game.

So the "assists" stat may be BS when considered in isolation. i.e. a player may get an "assist" for a misplaced pass, but in numbers over the course of a season they give an indication of a player's creative intent.

Even so, if we ignore "assists" Lamelas numbers are good.

Perhaps you should consider that if you are to judge a player based purely on observation on the pitch then its difficult to have an accurate opinion about them if they haven't played a game in 6 months. This, i understand, is it's own issue.

Yes we have played better this season than last and without Lamela in the team, but there is no doubt that the squad would be better with Lamela available. In an 4231 he starts in front of Son for me, in the 3421 he is a much better option off the bench than anything else we have.

Agree totally! (statistically speaking, that's 100%)

The fact that Stats can also now prove that a team having less than 30% possession during a match, can SOMETIMES beat the team having the other 70%...
I just find that annoying, and personally, if it happens to us, I'd rather not know how 'dominant' we were in defeat!

Not a chance Lamela is as good as either of those two especially Dele Alli who's end product alone makes him far more valuable to the team.

Lamela is unplayable on his day and is a player who always turns up. Even if he isn't getting a goal or an assist, he is never invisible, a trait that Eriksen proved at the start of the season he was an expert at.

Lamela is unplayable on his day and is a player who always turns up. Even if he isn't getting a goal or an assist, he is never invisible, a trait that Eriksen proved at the start of the season he was an expert at.

I think Erikssen is better and I think he'd be the one of two who others clubs would be trying to sign but you could entertain an argument on that matter, Dele on the other hand is twice the player Lamela has ever been and will continue to outshine him forever.

I think Erikssen is better and I think he'd be the one of two who others clubs would be trying to sign but you could entertain an argument on that matter, Dele on the other hand is twice the player Lamela has ever been and will continue to outshine him forever.

I'm sticking by my original post. Opinions are like assholes and I can't really be fucked arguing about it more. Lamela for me is the player who I feel Poch probably values the highest. Nobody gets the high pressure and intensity quite like Lamela, Eriksen and Alli between them don't come close to matching that part of his game.

Agree totally! (statistically speaking, that's 100%)

The fact that Stats can also now prove that a team having less than 30% possession during a match, can SOMETIMES beat the team having the other 70%...
I just find that annoying, and personally, if it happens to us, I'd rather not know how 'dominant' we were in defeat!
Possession is a terrible stat. The team with more possession in a PL match only wins that match about 55% of the time (see here, second image). Just ignore it - it tells us nothing useful.

Possession is a terrible stat. The team with more possession in a PL match only wins that match about 55% of the time (see here, second image). Just ignore it - it tells us nothing useful.

Possession is a terrible stat indeed. The idea of having more possession of the ball is only a tool to keep the ball so that the opposition don't have the ball so they can't score.

The stats Vs watching football argument is a tedious and repetitive one and is perpetuated by those that only see in black and white.

In short, stats don't replace actually watching football, they do however (if used and combined correctly) allow us to objectify and substantiate our impressions gained from watching the game.

So the "assists" stat may be BS when considered in isolation. i.e. a player may get an "assist" for a misplaced pass, but in numbers over the course of a season they give an indication of a player's creative intent.

Even so, if we ignore "assists" Lamelas numbers are good.

Perhaps you should consider that if you are to judge a player based purely on observation on the pitch then its difficult to have an accurate opinion about them if they haven't played a game in 6 months. This, i understand, is it's own issue.

Yes we have played better this season than last and without Lamela in the team, but there is no doubt that the squad would be better with Lamela available. In an 4231 he starts in front of Son for me, in the 3421 he is a much better option off the bench than anything else we have.

I'd take Son all day personally. Lamela does the dirty side of the game better, stronger in the tackle etc, but he can't match Son's attacking ability. It's not even close. Son can beat people, draw penalties, shoot with either foot, get to the byline and cross it. And the biggest advantage is that he doesn't have fake injuries he wants surgery to fix. If the latest reports are true, it's pretty clear Lamela is finished at Spurs.

The argument of we haven't missed him this season bugs me a fair bit. I reckon we'd have been just as well off if we had lost Eriksen or Alli but still had Lamela. Eriksen, Alli and Lamela for me are all of the same level and fortunately 2 of the 3 will get us through. The only players we have in the squad who we have no ideal back up for at the same level is Kane, Toby and Lloris.
For me Alli is in a class above Eriksen and a fit Lamela... and I'd add Son into the mix there.

I'd also argue that we do indeed have an ideal backup for Lloris (probably the top back up keeper in the league,) but do not for either of our big Belgian CBs, Rose or Kane.

For me Alli is in a class above Eriksen and a fit Lamela... and I'd add Son into the mix there.

I'd also argue that we do indeed have an ideal backup for Lloris (probably the top back up keeper in the league,) but do not for either of our big Belgian CBs, Rose or Kane.

While I agree that Vorm is a fantastic back up, he isn't close to Lloris' level of ability I feel. Probably the same skill gap between Vorm/Lloris and Dier/Vertonghen no?

I also agree that Son is a fantastic player. He was definitely brought in to play LW, with Lamela RW and let Eriksen move into the middle, unfortunately he has fallen victim to Dele's success.

The number of people who reduce football to fancy dribbles and goals is astounding. Erik Lamela does not shoot very much. He is one of the best pressing attacking midfielders in the world, and when healthy has been one of the 10 best chance creators in the PL. His creativity gives Spurs a unique edge, as most clubs other than City (Silva + KdB) have only one good creative passer. When fit, maybe he starts, maybe not, but anyone suggesting he doesn't contribute much doesn't understand football.

The number of people who reduce football to fancy dribbles and goals is astounding. Erik Lamela does not shoot very much. He is one of the best pressing attacking midfielders in the world, and when healthy has been one of the 10 best chance creators in the PL. His creativity gives Spurs a unique edge, as most clubs other than City (Silva + KdB) have only one good creative passer. When fit, maybe he starts, maybe not, but anyone suggesting he doesn't contribute much doesn't understand football.

I'm far more pissed off with the supposed fans suggesting that he is faking an injury. Anyone that fucking dumb should fuck off and support Millwall really.

Show me one fucking game where Lamela hasn't got stuck in and tried to make things happen.
Having a good work rate doesnt make him "unplayable" and it doesn't mean he always shows up either.
This is what i mean when i say he is overrated by some on here. He is a good player for sure but we definitely do not miss him like we would Alli or Eriksen....it's not even close either.

Having a good work rate doesnt make him "unplayable" and it doesn't mean he always shows up either.
This is what i mean when i say he is overrated by some on here. He is a good player for sure but we definitely do not miss him like we would Alli or Eriksen....it's not even close either.

Really? We were doing fine at the start of the season when both the players you have named did absolutely nothing. There were calls for Eriksen to be dropped he was so ineffectual, at least when Lamela isn't having a great game offensively he always pushes and harries and makes tackles. When Eriksen has a poor game offensively you don't hear his name mentioned. He starts to shy away from the game, something our Erik never does, even when his 10 other teammates don't give a fuck like at Newcastle. It's pretty clear to see how short your memory is though. :adethumbup:

And I said he is unplayable on his day, not just he is unplayable, but way to twist my words asshole.

Back
Top Bottom