Liverpool away - 11th Feb - 1730hrs kick off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We are far far better than them in every department, but they always play out of their skin against us and we always take our foot off the gas against them for some reason.

What I think - draw
What I hope for - top performance and a win
What would be a dream - we play absolutely shite, they have a clear goal wrongly ruled out for offside and several stonewall penalties turned away, and we nick it with a comical Hendo OG

:levylol:

None of this 'they play better against the good teams' nonsense. When has football ever worked like that? Yes, I appreciate they caught a few teams earlier in the season, but they're shit now. Just get up there and play them off the park. The last thing they want to see is us streaming forward, and pulling their shite midfield this way and that.

2-0 to us if we don't fall for the hype.

I hate the way that Klopp gets away with behavior that other managers are punished for in any league (Mourinho and Wenger act the same way, but get none of the leeway, maybe because they don't wear hipster glasses and chuckle).

If Poch screamed in the ears of the refs, he'd get banned for multiple games. But it's ok for Klopp, because when he does it, it's just "passion".

I'd rather win the game than go for style points. Look like most of the board disagrees
You'd rather win by sitting back than outplay them?

We are at our very worst trying to piss around the back line with the ball...I absolutely hate that part of our game. Passing it to Hugo to blast out of play.

We were battering Boro....right up until we scored. The only time it looked like they could get a goal was after, when we sat back.

We aren't good at it, the times we concede is when we have made mistakes at the back or in central midfield. Play to your strengths.
Our strength is going at teams.

You'd rather win by sitting back than outplay them?

We are at our very worst trying to piss around the back line with the ball...I absolutely hate that part of our game. Passing it to Hugo to blast out of play.

We were battering Boro....right up until we scored. The only time it looked like they could get a goal was after, when we sat back.

We aren't good at it, the times we concede is when we have made mistakes at the back or in central midfield. Play to your strengths.
Our strength is going at teams.
Doesn't help that Hugo's distribution is arguably his only weakness, either. I hate when Spurs play it around the back, it's a recipe for disaster because for better or worse that's just not Hugo's game. IMO it's the only reason that Madrid/Barca/City haven't already gone for him. He's arguably the greatest shot-stopper in the world, but when it comes to passing the ball he's "only" among the top 20 goalkeepers instead of the top 5.

Keep it in the opponent's half at all times. If the team is playing badly, then fine. I'll take a 0-0 (like the Sunderland game, which was endless passing around their box) over a loss (like Southampton at home last season) any day. It's not fun to watch Eriksen pass it to Walker, who makes a pointless cross, about 20 times per game, but it's better than losing.

A massive game. The Scousers will be screeching at the referee for every decision.

Keep Mane quiet. And don't let Milner bully you off the ball.

Doesn't help that Hugo's distribution is arguably his only weakness, either. I hate when Spurs play it around the back, it's a recipe for disaster because for better or worse that's just not Hugo's game. IMO it's the only reason that Madrid/Barca/City haven't already gone for him. He's arguably the greatest shot-stopper in the world, but when it comes to passing the ball he's "only" among the top 20 goalkeepers instead of the top 5.

Keep it in the opponent's half at all times. If the team is playing badly, then fine. I'll take a 0-0 (like the Sunderland game, which was endless passing around their box) over a loss (like Southampton at home last season) any day. It's not fun to watch Eriksen pass it to Walker, who makes a pointless cross, about 20 times per game, but it's better than losing.

Yup, Eriksen going forward means the whole team go forward, making those runs into the box.

Eriksen checking back stifles the whole set up, and everyone else does it

I hate the way that Klopp gets away with behavior that other managers are punished for in any league (Mourinho and Wenger act the same way, but get none of the leeway, maybe because they don't wear hipster glasses and chuckle).

If Poch screamed in the ears of the refs, he'd get banned for multiple games. But it's ok for Klopp, because when he does it, it's just "passion".

It just goes to demonstrate Poch's ability to keep his emotions in check. Klopp is a good guy but the pressure makes him go batshit. I think I would end up doing the same - stress does weird things to people.

Caveat - Wenger and Mourinho are still knobs.

It just goes to demonstrate Poch's ability to keep his emotions in check. Klopp is a good guy but the pressure makes him go batshit. I think I would end up doing the same - stress does weird things to people.

Caveat - Wenger and Mourinho are still knobs.

Pochettino seems to deal with his aggression by screaming "push, push, push" at the top of his lungs every time we lose possession.

Son on the left is crucial in this for me. Davies will need help with Manes pace and Clyne overlapping too. Son is our fastest attacking player, he needs to be on top of his game defensively.

Luckily for us, Mane isn't the best at tracking back so hopefully allows us some freedom in attack. Can't be dwelling on the ball at the back like we have been. Lallana and Firmino are two of the best attacking pressers in the league.

Midfield battle will be won by us before we even step onto the field so we need to make that count.

None of this 'they play better against the good teams' nonsense. When has football ever worked like that? Yes, I appreciate they caught a few teams earlier in the season, but they're shit now. Just get up there and play them off the park. The last thing they want to see is us streaming forward, and pulling their shite midfield this way and that.

2-0 to us if we don't fall for the hype.
Totally agree-they will take chances, getting forward in numbers, hopefully this plays well into our game plan. Klopp will tactically try to stifle us but hopefully we are playing too well to get snuffed. They are on a really bad run of form and we should take advantage of this-nerves and all that.

Plus, why worry about Mane vs Davies when we are just going to have Walker vs Milner on the other side and Davies is a better defender.

Back
Top Bottom