January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lol, can't believe people are writing off one of our most talented youth players after a few performances. He's fucking 19 for goodness' sake. What is wrong with you? Winks only really started having a role in the team this season and he's older yet none of us were writing him off? If edwards doesn't score a cuntstomper after 15 senior appearances at 19 are we going to piss him off as well? The fact that josh makes cameos at 18 and 19 shows that poch thinks he's good enough. Jesus

There are way too many people on here who disregard any player who isn't an instant success, both new signings and youth - who basically with the exception of the likes of Rooney and Owen are never an instant success. People have strange expectations and seem to not understand the realities of football.

There is a reason why our youth players last until abut 24/25 before we decide if they wont be making it. Look at Tom Carroll, he is 24 year's old and has never really done anything for us of any significance. But we have waited in case he does because he has potential. He is reaching that point where he is probably going to be sold to a lesser club as he has not reached that level he needs to to play for us in any serious way and time for development is running out.

Players develop at different rates, luck also plays a part. We always have to give players time, especially youth. In the case of youth, we have invested years in their development, what we can sell them for age 20 is likely the same as we can sell them for age 25 if they don't work out, yet if they do turn the corner and become good then we have done the right thing and ended up with a good player.

After age 25 it is unlikely the player is going to develop enough to reach that next level that we need them to. Till then, we have to be patient. Righting off any player age 19/20/21 is just not the way to do things.

We really need another striker. I'm all for giving players a chance, but I can't see what Janssen offers. He doesn't up to the pace and his movement is pretty poor.

We need someone opposite to Kane, pacey and able to play off the shoulder. Hernandez would be a perfect fit from Leverkusen, but younger and cheaper if possible.

We really need another striker. I'm all for giving players a chance, but I can't see what Janssen offers. He doesn't up to the pace and his movement is pretty poor.

We need someone opposite to Kane, pacey and able to play off the shoulder. Hernandez would be a perfect fit from Leverkusen, but younger and cheaper if possible.

Agree we need someone but I don't understand why we'd want Hernandez. He's not good enough.

Nothing is going to happen with Janssen until the summer, if then. It takes a while to get used to Poch's system, which has unique needs from the striker up top. I doubt we shell out for another striker in January, either, not with our bevy of attacking midfield options we have (Dele, Son, Sissoko, Lamela, GNK).

Not keen on spending that amount of money for 5th choice tbh.

I'd be fine doing fuck all business this window. Maybe a replacement for Lamela. His injury is worrying me.

He'll be ok after a week or so at Roma

Delighted with the way we're playing at the moment but Coco coming back wd be like another new signing

Nothing is going to happen with Janssen until the summer, if then. It takes a while to get used to Poch's system, which has unique needs from the striker up top. I doubt we shell out for another striker in January, either, not with our bevy of attacking midfield options we have (Dele, Son, Sissoko, Lamela, GNK).

The only thing I can see is a move for Berahino, as it's the only opportunity for WBA to get money for him.

I wish we'd stumped up for Batsuyashi, he's wasted at Chelsea. Son is a good option, but sometimes makes the wrong decision.

In the summer I'd love us to go after Dembele MK2, Callum Wilson or maybe someone like Julian Brandt. If we're serious about winning the league, we need to make a big signing.

I had missed this question.
I can reply quite well of course.

Berna has been our "next big thing" for a couple of years now. His breakout year was last season, but curiously enough it happened when coach used him out of position. He's a trequartista or a winger. Instead, Sousa used him as the RWB in his 3-4-2-1. It was like asking Son to play like Walker, to give a reference. The kid showed a great workrate while maintaining his offensive flair. Everyone praised his effort etc and it even earned him a callup by Conte at Euro 2016.
However, it was quite evident that he would have been a lot more dangerous if played in his actual position.
Finally, since a couple of months Sousa has switched to a 4231 and Berna plays either RW or CAM and he's truly showing his worth. Creative, with a great shot, good vision and playmaking and also always looking to make a difference with the ball at his feet.
Now everyone hails him as the next great 10 of Italy and rumours are going around of a contract renewal with Fiorentina with a 100 mln buyout clause. He's also a Florence local so you can guess the hype.
Fucken hell mate, what a fine summary. Such energy. Hope we buy this florentine cunt

How about Lorenzo Insigne? Think Napoli would let him go? He's quick and tricky

That is my dream signing and it's been reported Poch is "crazy about him". I think it's unlikely Napoli let's him leave though.

EDIT: It appears he is still in contract dispute with the club. I suppose it's possible he leaves in the summer window.

Back
Top Bottom