The Mighty Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston "not famous anymore" Villa

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lloris Boss you know when I signed the contract extension you said I could achieve my ambitions and win things at Spurs
Poch Yes
Lloris How can I do that if I and other major players are not playing Sunday?
Poch Well I have to look at the whole squad and who needs games and who needs a rest etc, etc
Lloris But as a GK I can manage all the games and it would be an honour to lead this club to an FA Cup final victory.
Poch, Just because you do not play in the early rounds does not mean you will not play in the final
Lloris Would that not be unfair on Vorm to play all the early rounds and then miss the final and think of the stick the media will give you if you do that
Poch yes that is a good point
Lloris Also as you have seen in previous years if we do not start our major players, we struggle and you end up bringing players on in the second half to get a victory or worse we go out to a lesser side like Palace. No point saving me for a final if we never get there.
Poch I will assess the situation after our last training session

This conversation might not happen but if our players are to remain here and achieve things they have to play in the cups as well or in 4/5 years time they may only have high league places to celebrate like the Gooners.
Lets do what we did to Watford make say 4 changes and get a winning position early and then sub 3 more players. 6 days to the next match.

Is starting Vorm over Lloris going to be that detrimental, especially against a championship side? Vorm was brilliant in his absence earlier in the year. We just played 3 games in 10 days with the last one being a massive effort both physically and mentally, there will be a lot of rotation.

So I see the OS have pretty much named the team;
Training gallery - January 6 6 January 2017 - News - tottenhamhotspur.com

Based on that 'Gallery' I'd say 10 of the 11 starters will be...

---------- VORM ----------
TRIPPIER -- WIMMER -- ???? -- DAVIES
---------- CARROLL -- SISSOKO ----------
N'KOUDOU ------- SON ------- ONOMAH
---------------- JANSSEN ---------------

with young Brandon Austin (GK) on the bench by the look of it!!
Just came by here to say a similar thing:

Given his earlier comments to the press about avoiding player mental/physical fatigue, it wouldn't be surprising if Poch told most of the first teamers to go away on a weekend break with their rather attractive spouses.
:ledleylick:

The result on Wednesday has not only 'earned' most of those players a well deserved weekend off... but it's put a spring in the step of the entire club and our fans...

So much so, that we can actually enjoy FA Cup 3rd round weekend, without worrying what detrimental effect it will have on our League fixtures... it won't have. Because i'm pretty sure that 95% of the team who started on Wednesday, won't be anywhere near the starting XI on Sunday... and good job too.
'cos it will show our strength in depth... our 2nd XI is pretty much on a par with most clubs' first XI (well... Premier League mid-table and below I'd say) but still strong enough to give a good account of themselves in the Cup against Villa...
...and if they're not, better we find out on Sunday, than in a league game where points are at stake!!

Lloris Boss you know when I signed the contract extension you said I could achieve my ambitions and win things at Spurs
Poch Yes
Lloris How can I do that if I and other major players are not playing Sunday?
Poch Well I have to look at the whole squad and who needs games and who needs a rest etc, etc
Lloris But as a GK I can manage all the games and it would be an honour to lead this club to an FA Cup final victory.
Poch, Just because you do not play in the early rounds does not mean you will not play in the final
Lloris Would that not be unfair on Vorm to play all the early rounds and then miss the final and think of the stick the media will give you if you do that
Poch yes that is a good point
Lloris Also as you have seen in previous years if we do not start our major players, we struggle and you end up bringing players on in the second half to get a victory or worse we go out to a lesser side like Palace. No point saving me for a final if we never get there.
Poch I will assess the situation after our last training session

This conversation might not happen but if our players are to remain here and achieve things they have to play in the cups as well or in 4/5 years time they may only have high league places to celebrate like the Gooners.
Lets do what we did to Watford make say 4 changes and get a winning position early and then sub 3 more players. 6 days to the next match.
I get what you're saying but you also don't want to burn players out which culminates in 5-1 losses to relegated sides on the last day of the season. Villa at home is as good a game as any to rotate. They've won 2-3 away games in 18 months.

Absolutely... there's no point busting a gut to beat Chelsea if we're only gonna toss points away against WBA (which we have done, with alarming regularity in the past few seasons)

West Brom is as must win as any of the games we've played so far... simply due to the fact we have to consolidate one excellent result, with another excellent win in the following game!

December did us some favours with Swansea, Burnley & Hull... and up until the Chelsea game, i'd say we were expected to win all three... which we did... comfortably.
The Chelsea game was the icing on the cake, and the most unexpected of results/performances...
That will only count, IF we can follow it up with another win in the next game.

and that's all well and good ...but first, The Villa!!

To be fair after Leicester, WBA was our toughest game last season easily, they are no pushover at all remember that, they were strong and stopped loads of things we tried

Poch will have his work cut out to get all 3 points, especially if Tony goes for his back 6

To be fair after Leicester, WBA was our toughest game last season easily, they are no pushover at all remember that

Poch will have his work cut out to get all 3 points, especially if Tony goes for his back 6
We can have some optimism over the fact that Alli was wasting a couple of chances in the away match against WBA and our whole team was nowhere near the form we're in now.

I'm confident that we'll put away chances if we make them. But as you said, they'll be even more defensive at WHL.

So I see the OS have pretty much named the team;
Training gallery - January 6 6 January 2017 - News - tottenhamhotspur.com

Based on that 'Gallery' I'd say 10 of the 11 starters will be...

---------- VORM ----------
TRIPPIER -- WIMMER -- ???? -- DAVIES
---------- CARROLL -- SISSOKO ----------
N'KOUDOU ------- SON ------- ONOMAH
---------------- JANSSEN ---------------

with young Brandon Austin (GK) on the bench by the look of it!!
If its based on whose training today, CCV is also seen in training as well as Winksy so add them to the list.

........................Vorm.........................
Trippier....Wimmer....CCV....Davies
...............Winks.....Sissoko...............
.........Son.......Eriksen....N'Koudou..
.....................Janssen.........................

Just a feeling about that lineup. Perhaps one of the more senior CBs in there instead of CCV to add stability.

The result on Wednesday has not only 'earned' most of those players a well deserved weekend off... but it's put a spring in the step of the entire club and our fans...

So much so, that we can actually enjoy FA Cup 3rd round weekend, without worrying what detrimental effect it will have on our League fixtures... it won't have. Because i'm pretty sure that 95% of the team who started on Wednesday, won't be anywhere near the starting XI on Sunday... and good job too.
'cos it will show our strength in depth... our 2nd XI is pretty much on a par with most clubs' first XI (well... Premier League mid-table and below I'd say) but still strong enough to give a good account of themselves in the Cup against Villa...
...and if they're not, better we find out on Sunday, than in a league game where points are at stake!!

Whilst winning the cup would be amazing (and preferable to 4th spot IMHO), you're 100% right:

Forget the need for the 1st XI to be rested, those on the fringes need to prove they can do it. If they can't beat Villa then maybe we replace a load of them this Jan!

Both for match sharpeness when needed and morale, Vorm, Trippier, Wimmer, Davies, GKN and Janssen need to play.

Winks can consider himself part of the 1st team but needs more minutes for his development.

Sissoko & Son also within the 13/14 who are arguable starters but with less minutes than Alli and Eriksen, ought to start.

CCV & Onumah are on the bench often enough it would imply Poch trusts them.

There's your 11.

In reality, it probably makes sense to have Toby in for CCV and Dier in for Onumah. But if this can't beat villa then there should be some heads on the block:
Vorm
Trippier CCV/Toby Wimmer Davies
Dier/Onumah Winks
Sissoko Son GKN
Janssen

Alderweireld should start, needs football. Janssen to start and hopefully will get his goal. Should win this without a problem, should be too good, whoever plays. Villa will be organised because of Bruce but how good they only he knows. 3 - 1 Spurs.

Excited for this one, but the tube strike is going to be a massive ballache. I need to get back to Victoria and I'm buggered if I know how. Work early the next day too. Will absolutely be going but it has the potential to properly suck afterwards.

He's on top form. I can't remember the last time I saw him this comfortable at a presser.

Also listening to him speak about Espanyol, it's impossible to picture him ever going near the Barcelona job.
I like how he talks about Espanyol, the fondness he has for it, and the way he spoke about La Liga being essentially impossible for them to have targeted the title (meaning the cups were all they had).

It seemed like he was implying that the Premier League differs in that regard, and that his aim is to keep improving us until we can win the league (his answer on comparing us to this time last year showed that too).

It's such a feelgood time again (assuming we can get past Villa on Sunday) - I so wish the club would do another one of these:

FANS' FORUM 8 December 2015 - Video - tottenhamhotspur.com

Back
Top Bottom