West Bromwich Albion v Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What does all this mean?

I was under the impression that the real test is beating the smaller teams who look to just sit and park and not against the top clubs, when we tend to do well and raise our game and energy levels.

We have won all of our games against teams in the bottom half, as have Sheikhty. Woolwich have dropped 2 points.

West Brom were in the bottom half before we played them. The reason they're not is because we couldn't beat them.

You're missing the point old boy.

We have fewer games left to play against the top half, 13, than Woolwich, 16. Woolwich have yet to travel to a top half team this season, which I find very comforting.

Having seen the Toby injury again I don't think it's going to be bad. He was moving both legs when on the ground, bending his knees and the ankles were ok. Don't look like ligaments ( I thought he'd twitsted something) He was even moving the injured leg on stretcher. Maybe one of those stud to bone injuries that are really fucking painful. Don't think there's anything broken, no oxygen.
Fingers crossed. We have a tough schedule

Having seen the Toby injury again I don't think it's going to be bad. He was moving both legs when on the ground, bending his knees and the ankles were ok. Don't look like ligaments ( I thought he'd twitsted something) He was even moving the injured leg on stretcher. Maybe one of those stud to bone injuries that are really fucking painful. Don't think there's anything broken, no oxygen.
Fingers crossed. We have a tough schedule

I reckon it's absolutely stud to bone. Probably bruised up the majority of his leg, gave him a dead leg for a long time and they'll assess it, leave him out of the Champions League game, MAY make the Bournemouth game but if anything, rest him for that too and bring him back at home to Leicester at the end of the month.

The problem with this unbeaten runs is that you get to a point where you'd rather NOT lose than actually go on to WIN the match - we saw it quite a few times during our long unbeaten run last season before losing to Newcastle.

I mean there were even times today at 0-0 where it looked like we didn't even want to go on to win. It's like we were happy to just get a point away at The Hawthorns because it's a difficult place to come for us - It wasn't until we went a goal down when we started showing some urgency. If we had gone a goal down in the first half, it wouldn't have surprised me if we had gone on to win the game.
agreed. more points is way better than staying unbeaten.
Sometimes it is better to risk losing 1 for the sake of 2 more.

Look let's give Brom some credit. They play to their strengths. If not for Foster they could have been dead and buried before 2nd half. Yet they came out second half and gave it a go. They were at home. Still didn't do too much but set pieces are their strength. I think our own errors lead to their chances, the first corner that lead to the second and goal was an error. I can see it being a hard place to get a result for many this season and they have a couple with goals up front now. Most will not have the chances we had there and there will be some who don't get Foster on a good day. Having watched it again Everything was just within reach for him. It's a matter of half inch with the ball or his position and different outcome. Sometimes that just happens. There were maybe 3 chances we should have been more clinical with.

fucking Chadli. as Spursy as could fucking get. but a point is better than nothing

couldn't watch the game, how did we played?

First 45 minutes we were great. Foster made some good saves but we really should have been at least a goal up going into the break. Second half, West Brom were the better team and we rarely tested Foster if at all before our goal. Some finish from Alli.

This is not true. They work their bollocks off against us every year, but when woolwich or united roll into the hawthorns they bend over and pull down their pants.
:pochserious:

Not all true.

Last 4 vs. Man Utd at home:
1-0 Win
2-2 Draw
5-5 Draw
2-1 Loss

Last 4 vs. Woolwich at home:
2-1 Win
1-0 Loss
1-1 Draw
1-1 Draw

Last 4 vs. Tottenham at home:
1-1 Draw
1-1 Draw
3-0 Loss
3-3 Draw

Last 4 vs. Liverpool at home:
1-1 Draw
0-0 Draw
1-1 Draw
3-0 Win

Last 4 vs. Chelsea at home:
3-2 Loss
3-0 Win
1-1 Draw
2-1 Win

So really. We are the only team in the last 4 seasons they HAVEN'T beaten at home. We have won the most points away at West Brom in the last 4 years then any of the above have. We have won 6 points.

Not all true.

1-0 Win
2-2 Draw
5-5 Draw
2-1 Loss

2-1 Win
1-0 Loss
1-1 Draw
1-1 Draw

1-1 Draw
1-1 Draw
3-0 Loss
3-3 Draw

1-1 Draw
0-0 Draw
1-1 Draw
3-0 Win

3-2 Loss
3-0 Win
1-1 Draw
2-1 Win

So really. We are the only team in the last 4 seasons they HAVEN'T beaten at home. We have won the most points away at West Brom in the last 4 years then any of the above have. We have won 6 points.
Not all true.

1-0 Win
2-2 Draw
5-5 Draw
2-1 Loss

2-1 Win
1-0 Loss
1-1 Draw
1-1 Draw

1-1 Draw
1-1 Draw
3-0 Loss
3-3 Draw

1-1 Draw
0-0 Draw
1-1 Draw
3-0 Win

3-2 Loss
3-0 Win
1-1 Draw
2-1 Win

6a01156fb5bd0d970c01156fc5b81f970c-800wi

Look let's give Brom some credit. They play to their strengths. If not for Foster they could have been dead and buried before 2nd half. Yet they came out second half and gave it a go. They were at home. Still didn't do too much but set pieces are their strength. I think our own errors lead to their chances, the first corner that lead to the second and goal was an error. I can see it being a hard place to get a result for many this season and they have a couple with goals up front now. Most will not have the chances we had there and there will be some who don't get Foster on a good day. Having watched it again Everything was just within reach for him. It's a matter of half inch with the ball or his position and different outcome. Sometimes that just happens. There were maybe 3 chances we should have been more clinical with.

No, let's fucking not. I despise Pulis and his continuing football hate crime. He is poison.
He instructs his player to habitually waste time, and work for throw ins, corners and free kicks, like he did at Stoke.
Fills the the team with thugs who go over at the the slightest touch. If that what West Brom fans want, go and watch NFL.

Post international and pre CL blues? Most seem to struggle .

For me, I take great comfort in that we pulled it back. Allis goal was top class and to get an equaliser against a determined defending bunch of Pulis Pratts was testiment to our quality. Lloris save on thier goal was top draw and unlucky not to get rid. We will do things this season and games as this just slaps us around the face with a wet fish and wakes us up.

Pulis is a funny one. He's always very complimentary and respectful towards us. But he also knows how to frustrate our play, and they use every stretch of every negative tactic to that aim. As a general pundit, I like him; as an opposing manager, I hate him.

Always used to think you need to win your home matches and average a draw from the away matches and you will be near the top. .

But we know we're going to be near the top anyway. We were challenging for the title last year event though we had:

a crap start;
fucking Europa on Thurs nights;
a new defence (Toby);
a new striker (Son).

This season, we've had:

a good start;
no Europa;
settled back 5;
Son on fire.

We're better in so many ways to this time last year. Last year's 1-1 at WBA we were hanging on, this time we should have buried it by HT. Satisfied with away draws now? Not after destroying Stoke and Boro.

I said it during the week - start with Son. If we'd given him first 45 we'd have had our best finisher on the pitch when we were creating chances for fun. Our best attacking combo is (in the absence of Kane)

Christian E
Dele A
Son
Vin Jan

Someone posted selling Lamela. That's daft. But a lot of his best work is creating chances when he comes off the bench and the game opens up. If WBA had been chasing the game after HT, EL's clever one touch passing on the edge of their box would have given them a real head ache.

Big fan of Poch, but imo he missed a trick yesterday. If we go into HT in the lead, I think the likelihood is we'll stretch it in 2nd half, we're so good on the break.

Back
Top Bottom