Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The criticism of Son on here is ridiculous. He had twice the first season that Lamela had, just give him time and let him settle, we'd all have regretted selling Lamela after his first season, and I expect much the same of Son. Son proved he could do it in Germany and Lamela did it for one season in Italy, but that one season was enough for us to stick with him, so why should we just write off Son's 3 good years in Germany?
It will be very tough for him considering how good the starting 11 is.
Can't see who drops out for him?
If the argument is we have a lot of games & he is a squad player etc.
Then I think poch will feel he has been a failure.
Can't see poch paying over 20m for bench warmers.

But hopefully son steps up another level next year.
I do think at this moment in time, poch would take a refund on him if he could.

The criticism of Son on here is ridiculous. He had twice the first season that Lamela had, just give him time and let him settle, we'd all have regretted selling Lamela after his first season, and I expect much the same of Son. Son proved he could do it in Germany and Lamela did it for one season in Italy, but that one season was enough for us to stick with him, so why should we just write off Son's 3 good years in Germany?

The difference being:

1. Lamela spent most of his first season injured (90%). Son had a decent amount of game time.
2. Lamela looked like a talented player, even if he didn't have a direct impact. E.g. He had some great Europa League games and won us penalties. Son, despite having a fair bit of game time, doesn't look talented or intelligent.
3. Lamela has a huge work ethic and doesn't mind working his balls off. Son has a reputation of being lazy and unfit. Lamela improved his first year by working incredibly hard - will Son?

I just can't see it working out, much in the same way that people really wanted Soldado to work out ("he'll come good, he's been good before, it'll happen eventually"). He simply doesn't inspire confidence.

The difference being:

1. Lamela spent most of his first season injured (90%). Son had a decent amount of game time.
2. Lamela looked like a talented player, even if he didn't have a direct impact. E.g. He had some great Europa League games and won us penalties. Son, despite having a fair bit of game time, doesn't look talented or intelligent.
3. Lamela has a huge work ethic and doesn't mind working his balls off. Son has a reputation of being lazy and unfit. Lamela improved his first year by working incredibly hard - will Son?

I just can't see it working out, much in the same way that people really wanted Soldado to work out ("he'll come good, he's been good before, it'll happen eventually"). He simply doesn't inspire confidence.
& some will make it & some won't.
We can't pretend they will all turn it around like lamela did.

Poch is getting rid of pritchard before he even plays a few games
Anyone crying about poch writing off pritchard when he didn't get a fair chance due to injury?

The difference being:

Harsh IMHO, Son's first few games were decent, then he got injured and was out a while and hasn't been the same or had a decent run of games since, only bit parts. It's like we're willing Lamella on but want Son to fail. Lamella performed in the Europa, true but at times it's a weaker competition... Lamella came here for shit loads of money on that famous 'hype train', I really like the bloke, his ethic and commitment and glimpses of brilliance but lets not kid ourselves he's tearing it up every game and we don't all expect a little more from him this season. I bet if the fans cheered for Son the same way they do Lamella he would feel the love and it would improve his game.

Everyone can have a few bad games, especially if they are only ever subs. Bobby is/was a decent player but lacked confidence, this can be the difference in players as Harry has shown – nothing seems to bother him. How do we know Son doesn't suffer with the same and it's our negativity effecting him? I know lots of people aren't fans of Son but to me he always tries to do something positive, unlike other players that constantly pass sideways or backwards...

Fingers crossed he doesn't get injured at the Olympics. That'd be so us if he did.

Love him a little bit for that FA Cup goal against Leicester.

& you gotta love his cheeky smile he does after he scores a goal.
It could be another player getting injured that gives him a run of games to work his way back in the team.

It will be very tough for him considering how good the starting 11 is.
Can't see who drops out for him?
If the argument is we have a lot of games & he is a squad player etc.
Then I think poch will feel he has been a failure.
Can't see poch paying over 20m for bench warmers.

But hopefully son steps up another level next year.
I do think at this moment in time, poch would take a refund on him if he could.

The difference being that nobody predicted that Dele Alli would be as big a success as he was. Quite frankly Son was bought to allow Eriksen to move into the middle. And when called upon, Son has done very well for us, winning points against Watford for one. He also got two in one of his first starts for us in the Europa league. It's harsh to say he's even had game time because anyone would struggle to break into our team at the time he came back from his injury with the form Eriksen, Lamela and Alli were in.

Would I rather have someone of Son's proven quality in the squad as opposed to Josh Onomah though? You bet your fucking arse I would because even with a poor couple of games at the tail end of last season, Son has still done more in his spurs career than Onomah has and likely ever will. The need to write off a player for not being able to get a consistent run of games at the expense of one of last years stars of the league is insanity if you ask me, and judging him on the bit parts he did get to play is even worse.

What happens if Eriksen or Alli breaks their leg and we've decided to sell Son, because like every single player in our team, he played shit against newcastle? We go six months with Josh Onomah or hope that N'
Koudou is the real deal? Or do we give Son a second season and stop giving him so much stick?

& you gotta love his cheeky smile he does after he scores a goal.
It could be another player getting injured that gives him a run of games to work his way back in the team.

Without that injury though, it will be nearly impossible for him to prove his worth. He needs Eriksen, Lamela or Alli to pick up a 4-5 week injury to really show us what he's all about. Had Son not picked up his injury, there is every chance Alli wouldn't have shone as brightly as he did.

Cardiff, QPR, Southampton, Liverpool isn't too shabby. Shame he's look terrible for all of them. He was the next Ledley King how quickly his reputation has fallen. I bet he's still on a nice bit of wedge at QPR though.
Cardiff was a complete mess, he was still developing as a player and nowhere near ready to take the lead role at a small club. Coupled with Cardiff's then transfer policy being largely influenced by feng shui and lucky numbers and it all points to poor advice... I think, by his own standards, he'll miss his peak now.

How much wasted potential has there been over the years because of hangers on trying to make their money quickly?

Love him a little bit for that FA Cup goal against Leicester.

for me he gives us that overlap, running from deep latching onto a ball at pace, it's as much about making the right runs through a crowd as dribbling... Him going to the Olympics isn't great for his first team place but Levy and the brand will benefit from it and the more he sticks with his country the less chance there is he will have to do national service - no?

Dammed if you do....

The difference being that nobody predicted that Dele Alli would be as big a success as he was. Quite frankly Son was bought to allow Eriksen to move into the middle. And when called upon, Son has done very well for us, winning points against Watford for one. He also got two in one of his first starts for us in the Europa league. It's harsh to say he's even had game time because anyone would struggle to break into our team at the time he came back from his injury with the form Eriksen, Lamela and Alli were in.

Would I rather have someone of Son's proven quality in the squad as opposed to Josh Onomah though? You bet your fucking arse I would because even with a poor couple of games at the tail end of last season, Son has still done more in his spurs career than Onomah has and likely ever will. The need to write off a player for not being able to get a consistent run of games at the expense of one of last years stars of the league is insanity if you ask me, and judging him on the bit parts he did get to play is even worse.

What happens if Eriksen or Alli breaks their leg and we've decided to sell Son, because like every single player in our team, he played shit against newcastle? We go six months with Josh Onomah or hope that N'
Koudou is the real deal? Or do we give Son a second season and stop giving him so much stick?
Well we wouldn't get a fair price for him anyway.
So we may as well give him a 2nd season anyway.
Personally I don't think he will force his way in to our starting 11.
But equally he deserves at least another season to show what he can do.
Hopefully he will prove the doubters wrong.
But he will struggle to get lots of playing time unless there are long term injuries.

Son is a good finisher. He took his goals against Southampton and Chelsea very well and those were our most recent competitive games.

He needs a run in the team and some more work on the training field.

Back
Top Bottom