Worst player of the season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Soldado due to cost vs goals delivered

Lennon due to amount of game time with lack of performances

Vertonghen due to sharp decline from last season

Sandro due to un-Sandro like performances

Paulinho due to higher expectations

Sigurdsson due to starting off the season excellently then failing to deliver again

Adebayor due to lack of interest in last 10 games as expected

Rose for being a liability

Townsend for thinking he'd made it but hadn't

Partly disagree. I know Rose is not too popular here but his start of the season was really good under AVB. After his injury Sherwood came in as manager and played his stupid 4-4-2. On the wing we had either Sigurdsson or Eriksen, two attack-minded offensive midfielders that used to play in the middle of the pitch rather than running up and down the flank. Further, in CM Sherwood often played without any serious holding midfielder who could help on the left flank during counter attacks, just because there weren't enough other players to cover the center of the pitch.
As a result, Rose always had to do the job of two in defense, often dealing with the opposite full back and winger. Walker never had that problem because Lennon gave him the support in defense Eriksen and Sigurdsson didn't. And honestly, Walkers crosses aren't any better than Roses. So it's a bit unfair to judge Rose that bad.

You make a fair point, though I will add that rose often does look too much towards getting forward and attacking, and neglects his defensive duties. Though I never liked the idea of taking a winger and turning him in to a defender as I think people are either defensively or offensively minded, the latter making for a poor defender.

Not fair to include Lamela in candidates I think.

Controversial but I'd go for Lennon. For someone who's been here so long, knows the club and league to have such a dismal season when he's still in his peak is pretty shameful. Seems to have lost fire in his belly.

Danny Rose. Switches off constantly, doesnt provide decent balls forward, just isnt a left back for me. No lack of effort but not good enough. Would hope now Sunderland are safe they would like to take him for a few million

Danny Rose by a mile.

He made a pigs ear of the high line and every defender near him suffered from having to overextend. We didn't have many defensive problems at cb until he was introduced.

He could have ended Kabouls Spurs career due to lack of positional sense. He's given hospital passes, steped on the ball vs the scum, got sent off, had meltdowns, was part of the dire wingplay that ruined soldados chances of scoring and has compounded every problem this team has. Intelligence, creativity, team shape, experience, height, power and playing as a team.

IMO Rose is a caricature of everything wrong with this club. Young, dumb, light weight and head down.

Long term ironically he's done us a favor. I can't think of another player who's accumulation of gaffes helped get AVB and Tim (hopefully) the sack.

Good job rosesy! Silver linings and all that.

Watch him play a blinder today and mug another manager for next season.

Last edited:
Hard to say got a couple for different reasons.

Rose- think Gibbs summed it up
Lennon/Townsend - did almost nothing this season
Verts/dembele/Sandro - terrible attitude all season, the guys who should be leading the team but bottled it big time.
Siggy - odd goal but is more lightweight than an ant, always feel depressed when he is on the pith.

When I compare them to loris, ade, eriksen, benteleb and yes even Dawson it feels like we have such a mix of qualities and attitude.

Hard to say got a couple for different reasons.

Rose- think Gibbs summed it up
Lennon/Townsend - did almost nothing this season
Verts/dembele/Sandro - terrible attitude all season, the guys who should be leading the team but bottled it big time.
Siggy - odd goal but is more lightweight than an ant, always feel depressed when he is on the pith.

When I compare them to loris, ade, eriksen, benteleb and yes even Dawson it feels like we have such a mix of qualities and attitude.
I've never been a fan of Siggy, thought it was a mistake to sign him when he could be getting decent game time at a smaller club, but not sure he's had enough games to be in with a shout of worst player of the season.

I've never been a fan of Siggy, thought it was a mistake to sign him when he could be getting decent game time at a smaller club, but not sure he's had enough games to be in with a shout of worst player of the season.

Maybe it's just when he comes on the pitch it's like we have gone down to 10 men, so lightweight but without any of eriksen's skills or intelligence, can't figure out why bentaleb after playing so well was dropped for him and chadli. A central middle of chadli and siggy will struggle to control hull let alone Liverpool.

I think there are different measures.

Cost versus return would have to be Soldado, but he's really tried and has had a difficult time of things.

Most underwhelming purchase would be Paulinho.

Least effective use of talent and passion would be Vertonghen.

Weirdest turnaround in form (from good to useless) would probably be either Dembélé or Sandro.

Overall, though, I'd be tempted to say Lennon or Rose, but I'll go with Lennon on the basis that he should be performing better.

I'll be honest in the fact that I think it's 99% tactics and training that have contributed, rather than talent, although effort could have been higher from some.

Danny Rose by a mile.

He made a pigs ear of the high line and every defender near him suffered from having to overextend. We didn't have many defensive problems at cb until he was introduced.

He could have ended Kabouls Spurs career due to lack of positional sense. He's given hospital passes, steped on the ball vs the scum, got sent off, had meltdowns, was part of the dire wingplay that ruined soldados chances of scoring and has compounded every problem this team has. Intelligence, creativity, team shape, experience, height, power and playing as a team.

IMO Rose is a caricature of everything wrong with this club. Young, dumb, light weight and head down.

Long term ironically he's done us a favor. I can't think of another player who's accumulation of gaffes helped get AVB and Tim (hopefully) the sack.

Good job rosesy! Silver linings and all that.

Watch him play a blinder today and mug another manager for next season.

My memory is probably not great by for all bae faults he was a left back and was mostly acceptable, fryers this season at left back was ok defensively if incapable going forward. Don't care about roses attacking it's his defending or lack of defending that drives me nuts.

Back
Top Bottom