Woolwich (H) - The Gallas Derby

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

From today's Fiver:

High lines. When the Fiver slips into its Meiji era silk kimono later this evening and settles down on its chaise longue to watch top pundit Gary Neville expertly pick apart Woolwich's shortcomings during yesterday's Big Match, we fully expect much of the talk to be about high lines. "Look Ed," the Sky pundit will say to his straight man Sky Sports Ed. "Those lines are very high. When you're defending that high up the pitch you need to have your goalkeeper coming out to clean up as a sweeper like Hugo Lloris did, because that was the difference between the sides. That and the fact that when pacy Spurs players are running at you at speed, it helps if your central defenders don't react like soldiers who've just heard a loud 'click' underfoot as they tip-toe through a minefield." Yep, that's what the Fiver confidently predicts Gary will say, because he's always copying our incisive razor-sharp analysis and passing it off as his own.

Asked for his take on Woolwich's failings in yesterday's game, Arsène Wenger could only find two minor areas in which his team failed to function cohesively: defence and attack. "We were not efficient in those decisive zones, not at the back or up front," he mused, having apparently been so preoccupied by the ineptitude of defenders who can't defend and strikers who can't strike that he failed to notice the non-contribution of midfielder Jack Wilshere, whose negligible impact yesterday has been virtually ignored by many pundits and commentators, not least those who have spent recent months bigging him up as the greatest thing since Otto Frederick Rohwedder invented the bread slicer in 1928.

Of course it should go without saying that many of those pundits and commentators were also quick to portray Tottenham manager André Villas-Boas as some sort of collapsible car-driving clown when he first pitched up at White Hart Lane, in a state of affairs that was of course in no way related to the fact that he'd been hired to replace their "mate" 'Arry, who has long been a master of making certain media folk feel all gooey inside through the simple expedient of addressing them by their names.

"There is still so much to go," said AVB to the gentlemen of the Fourth Estate after his side's win. "This time last year Woolwich [faced] the difference of seven points and we know how it finished." Wise and cautious words indeed, from a man who this time last year – this very day in fact – was being handed his P45 by Roman Abramovich. From getting a severance cheque for £8m or thereabouts, to having to actually do some work for your money – nobody knows how quickly fortunes can change than Mr Villas-Boas.

FAKIN HELL I'm glad this thread is here so I don't have to bubble about in the waning light of the WHU away thread.

1. No Jan at left back. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but he didn't look so good to me last night. Decent on the ball and moving forward, but a bit of a serious liability when it comes to defending. Maybe BAE's had that famous falling out, who knows. But he has to start. Caulker to sit, then, perhaps? Though he's been doing superbly as well. And Dawson, much as I'm ready to send him to the glue factory, was also tremendous last night. AVB will probably melt all our heads with:

:llorisserious:​
:walker::gallashmm: :vert::baelol:​
2. Parker, Parker, Parker. What to do. I've seen people congratulate him on his tenacity last night (I was rather among them), but maybe that's just because he looked like a bulldog out there, and all the Brits went all mushy-kneed. To me the issue is that he simply sits on the ball too much. He's relying on runs to move the ball, not ping-ping passing. As such, I imagine the speed at which we run our transition game is largely compromised. But who goes in his place? Hudd? No… Maybe…​
Livermore :dembele:
Jake's been our catalyst, after all. Or perhaps Carroll might fit? Or perhaps I'm overthinking it all and Parker will do fine.​
3. Much as Livermore and Carroll electrified our play last night, Sigurðsson did so even more dramatically. We looked sloppy and clueless for a lot of the match, and it seemed to take a turn once Gylfi showed. This isn't to say that Holtby was why we looked sloppy. Who knows what happened. That said, despite my willingness to drop Parker, I'm not as inclined to drop our baby goose.​
:lennon: :holtbytongue: :bale2:​
:adelol:​
I wish it was next Monday already. This match kills me every year, but luckily I have a machine built for me by Tesla, so I simply make a dupe right beforehand, and he just sits in the tub, chillaxing and reading, during the match. After the final whistle, he checks the score, tosses my corpse in the fireplace, and takes on my life.​

As I wrote last night, we'll kill them if Holtby and Bale manage to put 20-yard bombs on target. Wenger won't be able to pull off a Churchill "Every man to his post" at halftime.

@SpursStatMan Spurs Stat Man.

Bale has accounted for 21.3% of Spurs' total goals and assists this season in the PL.
Walcott accounts for 22.1% of Woolwich's. One man team?

Tottenham-har-en-poang-att-bevisa.jpg

Vertonghen and Dawson aside I dont think any of ours had a great game but for the guts on display everybody gets 10/10 from me.

Our midfield was non existent far to frequently for either Parker or Dembele to have had a really top game.

That said his assist was pant wettingly good and surpassed anything I ever thought possibly from Parker, so fair play for that!

We were very lose with our control and passing, we lacked composure for much of the game and we allowed the occasion to get to us.

That said, we showed a terrific amount of belief and desire, we were tactically quite sound and more or less kept our shape very well. Under Redknapp I often complained there wasnt a rehearsed system of play underpinning how we perform, so that on 'off' days we were likely to capitulate. Today is a fantastic performance on the basis that the opposite is now true.

Now that we have a tactical foundation even when we lose our heads a bit, even when we arent at our best, we still have faith in getting a result because we still have the ability to do so.

Absolutely delighted right now :holtbytongue:

Was quite a bit of nastiness outside after the game. Their fans tried to rush the police line on park lane and failed miserably.

Did anyone else see that fat gooner slag giving us 5-2 gestures, only to get a resounding rendition of 'who's got a big fat arse.' Think I saw Kris Kris getting involved

That wasn't easy to watch at times.

There have been many times in the past that I wouldn't have given us a chance of holding on at 2-1. We seem to be made of different stuff recently though.

I fucking love this team.

:adebaehug:

Two comments I really enjoyed:

1)
[tweet]https://twitter.com/iainmacintosh/status/308270781077520384[/tweet]

2)
Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas: "That was very important. It meant a lot for our fans - we wanted to get this one over Woolwich and create a distance between us. Seven points is not big enough in the Premier League, because this time last year Woolwich came back.
"We aim to continue doing well, but we have difficult fixtures coming up against Manchester City and Liverpool. We will try and push on and qualify for the Champions League.
"It's not over until the last game of the season. It's a good, important win against a top club who are fighting for the same objectives."

Back
Top Bottom