Wolves (A) - Saturday 11th November 12:30pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hopefully we give everyone a chance especially when no one really stood out. We lack the naughtiness to have a cheap foul when it's potentially a dangerous attack. At 96 min - what was Emerson doing by losing the ball.

Of course 1-1 isn't all bad for a bad showing but it's the concentration lapse thay allowed wolves to get going.

Doesnt help that Bisoumma isn't his nature self, if Galatasaray wants to return Ndombele, I'll give him a chance at least I know bisoumma going to f him if he slacks off.

Hopefully we give everyone a chance especially when no one really stood out. We lack the naughtiness to have a cheap foul when it's potentially a dangerous attack. At 96 min - what was Emerson doing by losing the ball.

Of course 1-1 isn't all bad for a bad showing but it's the concentration lapse thay allowed wolves to get going.

Doesnt help that Bisoumma isn't his nature self, if Galatasaray wants to return Ndombele, I'll give him a chance at least I know bisoumma going to f him if he slacks off.
Ndombele???? You on the wind up?

There seems to be a lot of post match revisionism going on in her at the moment.

We were shit. Let's not kid ourselves that a time even slightly better up front than Wolves would have caused a lot, lot more problems.
We were far too passive, there was little desire by a lot of our players to win the ball back and we seemed content to just let Wolves pass it about. It was strikingly different to what we have seen in all games bare the league cup match. And, strangely, that too was a much changed side.

Despite all the whining about the ref, they conceded more free kicks than us and got more yellow cards than us.
Good summary. The problem wasn't as much that Spurs gave up 2 goals late with a 1-0 lead but that with an early 1-0 lead they didn't play the way Postecoglou wants to see the team play. During all that time before the end of the game had they stayed on the front foot and gotten a second goal obviously the whole complexion of the game changes. People have equated time of possession with a positive attack. So one part of the equation is on the way to being solved. But Spurs still aren't doing a lot with the ball in terms of creating mismatches and scoring opportunities. I'm not a fan of Postecoglou, but I think if he gets the type players he wants in during the transfer windows you'll see a much changed team (for the better) from where it is now. And off what I've seen so far (and I know this won't be a popular opinion) I think I'd find a way to give LoCelso more time on the pitch.

Saw this over the weekend.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/coys/s/n6ROQiuobN

Dier is a statue and Hojbjerg is criminally out of position.

A lot going on there.

First - I'd say that's absolute proof Dier is the most passive player on the pitch, by far and that defence is exactly as I though - far too deep in both scenarios. They can block and clear all they like attracting praise, but that hurt the team performance.
But then there's the efforts of Sarr, Porro and Kulu covering wide area's of the pitch in and out of possession.
Davies is invisible out of possession but I think his name is covered by Bissouma. But still, I suspect he was no better than Dier in or out of possession.
Johnson got back more than he was given credit for, but looks like he's scared to leave the sideline.
Bissouma seems to be confined to his own half.
PEH looks lost. Has he never been on the left side of a football pitch? He's CM, he can go both ways but didn't.

I like this graphic. I shows most of what I thought during the match. Perhaps it's confirmation bias, but it fits my eye test.

Also, I know we had around 60% possession during the match, but does anyone else feel like, having watched the full 90 minutes, it never felt like that?

It's going to widen if we keep playing like that.
I think the only way forward is buying sensibly in January...not lloyd Kelly though.
From what I've seen, he's one step up from feeble.
Doesn't matter though because Levy has just had a new lock put on his wallet.....

I think the only way forward is buying sensibly in January...not lloyd Kelly though.
Doesn't matter though because Levy has just had a new lock put on his wallet.....

Probably read the stat about teams reaching 26 points from 10 games getting in to the top 3 and banned all transfer activity tbh.

The way forward is to back the manager, if the manager wants Lloyd Kelly then you go and get Lloyd Kelly

If the manager wants Vicario and Brennan Johnson then you go and get Vicario and Brennan Johnson.

If the manager wants some Japanese winger who we've never heard of that will cost us £2.4m and Rafael Leao is available for £80m then you go and get the Japanese winger.

Good summary. The problem wasn't as much that Spurs gave up 2 goals late with a 1-0 lead but that with an early 1-0 lead they didn't play the way Postecoglou wants to see the team play.

In ideological terms there's a discussion to be had; but in practical terms this is simply incorrect.

(The preceding 90mins of the game are next to meaningless if you're still 1-0 up in stoppage time.)

During all that time before the end of the game had they stayed on the front foot and gotten a second goal obviously the whole complexion of the game changes.

...Something we were evidently motivated to do, given we brought GLC, Bentancur & Gil on (and no minutes for Skipp):

a) See Lo Celso shot & save.
b) Look at the manner of the turn-overs that led to both goals conceeded.

I'm not a fan of Postecoglou,

Why?

Not a big enough name?
Prefer conservative football?

Last edited:
You don't think it's even remotely possible that the reason these four games have followed a trend in regards to yellow cards for and against in such a similar fashion could be down to bias/unconscious bias or pressure the refs feel to "even" things out?

You think it's purely coincidental?
Yes we did what?

He needs players who can do what he asks of them, not players who stop pressing, start diving, stop playing like they did a few weeks ago. If they’re not up for it then they’re replaced
I agree with what you are saying basically the players behaved exactly as you described and need to be ditched. If we have had a reset under Ange then that includes binning some players who have never been good enough.

These are all attributes that Johnson doesn't really possess in any great measure.

He's a pace merchant who can carry the ball and be frighteningly quick in transition (and a decent finisher too).

I think, for him to work in our system, there needs to be more support from midfield to allow him to make those combinations/forward runs.

In isolation, he isn't your guy to take-on a player 1 v 1.
Well if he can’t do any of those 3 things you mention wtf we payed nearly £50M for? Wasn’t that the sane reason for not getting Adama?

I think Ange will take the brunt of the criticism because both goals we conceded we tried to play out and play quick which is what he wants the players to do but the problem is lack of quality on the pitch.
Not sure about the first goal where dier just lumps out. He could have played a simple ball I think to PEH. Instead thumps it out looking for kulu. He could have at least hit further up field but I think went out just near halfway line.

The way forward is to back the manager, if the manager wants Lloyd Kelly then you go and get Lloyd Kelly

If the manager wants Vicario and Brennan Johnson then you go and get Vicario and Brennan Johnson.

If the manager wants some Japanese winger who we've never heard of that will cost us £2.4m and Rafael Leao is available for £80m then you go and get the Japanese winger.
Johnson is worrying me tbh. Doesn’t look to have much about him. Caveat being I’m sure he prefers right hand side.

Back
Top Bottom