Wolves (A) - Saturday 11th November 12:30pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Name one thing that Johnson did - apart from the goal.

Anything - a cross, beat an opponent, a tackle

Anything, name it, with proof

I'm not a stats freak, anyone know what his pass accuracy was?

To Spurs players it was shit, but to Wolves players it was wonderful

Johnson's performance was not good at all
- the goal hides how poor he was
Questioned why went in for him. Could have saved the money and got eze who so much better. Johnson looks weak as well. Early days for him but if his a starting player I do worry. He never looked to get involved. May be he needs a FB on the outside supporting him rather than having FB inside. Plus he has to come deep for the ball from CBs as FB is gone inside. Not a fan of this inverted FB just makes our play too congested in the middle. Look at their winner royal is in the centre circle. We had 4 players in the CC.

Anything - a cross, beat an opponent, a tackle

These are all attributes that Johnson doesn't really possess in any great measure.

He's a pace merchant who can carry the ball and be frighteningly quick in transition (and a decent finisher too).

I think, for him to work in our system, there needs to be more support from midfield to allow him to make those combinations/forward runs.

In isolation, he isn't your guy to take-on a player 1 v 1.

scoring early... and then being negative thereafter is a big problem

second string players cant play ange ball.. so must adjust tactics. ange should know that?
NOt sure about you guys - but that tikki takka 12 passes to forward 20m is "painful" to watch. Not only that - this continues up the opposition box but no one likes to take a pop... crossing is now out of fashion
Have you seen deki cross? Explains why we don’t do it.

It's hard to judge things in isolation, but it seems that when we were playing our best football, Bissouma was ranking high on the progressive carries/take-ons to break the lines.

It feels like this part of his game has taken a dive, which is disrupting our flow.

Is he low on confidence?
He was afraid of getting a booking and ban. Clean sheet after the Villa game.

I think Ange got it right.

- We needed an extra man in midfield (Hojbjerg) to protect the makeshift back 4.
- We dialed down the intensity to minimise risks of further injury
- The early goal allowed us to slow down and play keep ball

1st Wolves goal was absolute class. Excellent ball in, and well taken by the goalscorer. Vicario maybe shouldn't have been beaten at his near post.

2nd goal again was an excellent ball and a good run. A poor ball by Hojbjerg and Gil napping lost us the ball, then we forgot football basics and allowed them to take the free kick quickly, before Royal was able to get back into a good position.

Wolves deserved the point, but taking all 3 was down to our mistake - Which Ange will not tollerate.

- We needed an extra man in midfield (Hojbjerg) to protect the makeshift back 4.

1st Wolves goal was absolute class. Excellent ball in, and well taken by the goalscorer. Vicario maybe shouldn't have been beaten at his near post.

2nd goal again was an excellent ball and a good run. A poor ball by Hojbjerg and Gil napping lost us the ball, then we forgot football basics and allowed them to take the free kick quickly, before Royal was able to get back into a good position.

Wolves deserved the point, but taking all 3 was down to our mistake - Which Ange will not tollerate.

Fair assessment and good insight.

I wonder if Sarr could have been sacrificed in favour of a more creative outlet. If we needed an engine in that midfield 3, then we could have moved Kulu into Madders position and have Johnson out right and Gil on the left.

Then when Gil tires from lack of match fitness, rotate with Johnson, move Kulu to the right and Gio/Bentancur into the 10.

Lots of fine margins.

Unduly harsh and somewhat dismissive of the opposition.

We weren't good enough and didn't do enough to deserve to win. No argument.

But much of this post-analysis is based on the result. Had we won or held on, many of the comments change in tone.

Nobody rational can dismiss us not having 3 of our season-long back 4 and our midfield creator in chief. Plainly a nonsense.

Players collectively were not as good as we needed them to be.

All the game showed is that we cannot cope with a squad decimated by the loss of 7 viable options. Only City could realistically be expected to suck that up. See Newcastle for similar to us at present.

It won't be until next season before we see a squad closer to what Postecoglou wants and needs.
Absolutely untrue in my case.

This is evidenced by the fact on around 80 minutes I stated "not kidding, I can see Wolves winning this"

We were backing off, dropping deep, clinging on and tiring. It was an awful performance for most of the match. A win would have convinced the basic fan we were fine, but a win (or even a draw tbh) would have been robbery. We were comprehensively outplayed IMO and the whole game concerned me deeply.

I think Ange will take the brunt of the criticism because both goals we conceded we tried to play out and play quick which is what he wants the players to do but the problem is lack of quality on the pitch.

No, sorry, Wolves deserved the win simply because they scored 2 goals and not controversial goals and we only scored 1.

Regarding the conspiracy theory and we get nothing because there’s an agenda,are you seriously believing that??
Why would any official or anyone in power have anything against Tottenham??

I think Ange will take the brunt of the criticism because both goals we conceded we tried to play out and play quick which is what he wants the players to do but the problem is lack of quality on the pitch.

It's not like we were punished from turnovers in open play, they scored from two restarts. A throw in and a quick free kick. We just went to sleep, especially on the second goal someone simply has to interfere with the free kick and take the booking. Can't allow them to play before we are ready to defend.

So what you're saying, is with the defense that the last few managers have ben saddled with, we had to drop a bit deeper, concede some attack and protect what we had.

So it's OK when Ange does that, but it's bad when others do it? (not saying you said that, but many others have)

There seems to be a lot of post match revisionism going on in her at the moment.

We were shit. Let's not kid ourselves that a time even slightly better up front than Wolves would have caused a lot, lot more problems.
We were far too passive, there was little desire by a lot of our players to win the ball back and we seemed content to just let Wolves pass it about. It was strikingly different to what we have seen in all games bare the league cup match. And, strangely, that too was a much changed side.

Despite all the whining about the ref, they conceded more free kicks than us and got more yellow cards than us.

Back
Top Bottom