What one thing do you want from the new stadium?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The only way safe standing will work will be if people are allocated a seat to stand in front of, rather than just letting people into a section and having them stand where they want. Obviously fans won't really want that, but you can bet your life that the authorities will make sure that clubs actually enforce it. One thing I've never quite got my head around is the impact on the capacity. When the seats are bolted up, does that then theoretically allow 2 people per seat number, one on each step? Would it be 3 people to every 2 seats, in a kind of staggered arrangement? Or is it simply 1 person per seat, same capacity, but standing?

Agree fully with the comments on the Scousers... unfortunately there's no politician out there in their right mind who would really back this and try to push it through Parliament.
I feel like you could have saved yourself a lot of time there, by just googling how safe standing works. Its been around for a long time now, in germany and i think austria and sweden. Probably more. Theres plenty of information on wikipedia, the fsf website... probably others.

I feel like you could have saved yourself a lot of time there, by just googling how safe standing works. Its been around for a long time now, in germany and i think austria and sweden. Probably more. Theres plenty of information on wikipedia, the fsf website... probably others.
I'm perfectly familiar with how it works thanks and have read up on it extensively before, but haven't ever actually come across a definitive answer on it's effect on ground capacity...

The only way safe standing will work will be if people are allocated a seat to stand in front of, rather than just letting people into a section and having them stand where they want. Obviously fans won't really want that, but you can bet your life that the authorities will make sure that clubs actually enforce it. One thing I've never quite got my head around is the impact on the capacity. When the seats are bolted up, does that then theoretically allow 2 people per seat number, one on each step? Would it be 3 people to every 2 seats, in a kind of staggered arrangement? Or is it simply 1 person per seat, same capacity, but standing?

Agree fully with the comments on the Scousers... unfortunately there's no politician out there in their right mind who would really back this and try to push it through Parliament.

Yeah that's what I meant. Thats how it works in Germany, One person standing per seat. No reduction in capacity if all seating but no increase if an end is standing either. However, no chance of overcrowding and crushes occurring as you are basically just standing where you'd be sitting.
Is the bar not in your eyeline when you sit down or does that come off?
No, it doesn't. If it did I doubt the German's would put up with it. Those seats pull down when the screw is unbolted. Remember you don't stand on the step so bar is waist height. However, you sit on the step which lowers the height of the bar in front.
In fact those bar seats are more safer than the ones we now have. It allows easier access for stewards, emergency services and movement in an emergency when you're standing than it does now when your seating.
Basically everyone supports safe standing from the majority of fans in all leagues that have all seating (95% of our fans want it) to wembley architect John Barrow of Populous.
Scottish clubs got the go ahead. Half the Football league's 72 clubs are in favour BUT only SIX EPL clubs have publicly backed it: Aston Villa, Burnley, Crystal Palace, Hull City, Sunderland & Swansea City.
Why have none of the top 6 clubs, bar Liverpool of course, not done so? £££

http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/home

Last edited:
Liverpool fans would have a fit. Even though with todays ticketing systems it could not happen again as you simply will not get in if you don't have a ticket. Gone are they days when they would open up the exit gates ( as they did At Swindon in the league cup in the 80's for us) to let a mob in because the turnstiles could not cope and so is turnstile jumping.
Although I didn't seem to hear anyone calling for a ban on smoking inside stadiums after the Bradford fire ( which may turn out to be arson and not a dropped cig) as it was disrespectful to those that died, only in 2007 & not for that reason.
I also did not see any compassion from LFC for the dead of Juventus or them or any other English club calling for all seating after bad crowd control, fighting and a killing surge in Belgium.
Although I have the deepest sympathy for the families of the 96 and what the shit rag paper & the lying police scum put them through ( I was at the semi v Wolves when it happened to us) fans are not treated like cattle anymore.
A crush could not happen anymore than a crush could happen now if everyone stood up from their seats instead of sitting down. All the difference would be is that that seat would put up and then lowered for European games. There would not be 4 extra people occupying that space. Basically a designated area where people can flip back the seat and stand without being told to sit down. There would also be no way of the crowd surging due to the design:
W7QCiHD.jpg

However, safe standing will be met by Liverpool by what I can only say is emotional blackmail

Worst thing about the Liverpool fans is that you can guarantee 99% of them stand at every away match they attend and most of the kop stands for the entirety of the game too.

Well, considering we still don`t even know the design, capacity, or pretty much any other details, I reckon you`d be better off putting something else on your bucket list mate.
Okay then. To be able to stand up without being told to sit down like a naughty schoolboy by some over zealous, pedantic steward who at the bequest of the club (due to essentiality of the safety certificate and some 'who can't see') have been told to constantly get on your earhole.
Also, not to come away with bruised shins when celebrating a goal like it should be.
Make an area for those that want to safely stand and you kill those two birds with one stone.
After all, football supporting is not compatible to sedentary behaviour unless you
a) are the minority who prefer to sit and remain emotionless, voiceless - bar maybe London derbies/fixtures v top 4.
b) are with the kids
b) have no choice through disability

It's viable with the new stadium as the inevitable drop in price to stand probably can be absorbed. However, not now as a standing section will cost and incur revenue loss we could not absorb.

I believe it is essential. If not we are in danger of seeing football become like Tennis as a spectator sport. Where singing and celebrating madly is frowned upon. We all have to adhere to the corporate idea of a 'match day experience'.
The signs are there at WHL now. The atmosphere is slowly being eroded so much that an atmosphere like Woolwich at home is a rarity.
It's happened at Man City, Woolwich and Chavs and if the EPL is not careful the best atmospheric place to watch a game will be at the pub with you mates.

Now I have been to Maine Road twice and they used to make some noise.
Just look at these new breed of sedentary, voiceless Man City fans at home in a CL fixture to the Dortmund fans, Is this the 'match day experience' the EPL subscribes too?

A museum.
The trophies and the medals. Old newspaper headlines and articles. Vintage memorabilia and historical kits and equipment. Photographs of the players, fans, and stadium throughout the club's history. Real physical remains of the old stadium like the Paxton Road/Park Lane/Bill Nicholson Way road signs or old seats. And something more than just a few Nicholson or Blanchflower quotes on the walls. Real stuff from real people. A collage of fans' photo memories and dedications. Fan-made art alongside whatever shiny branded stuff will also be there. Something that shows Tottenham Hotspur as a football club, and as a community, now and in generations past.
Something to give even the most casual supporter goosebumps.

Thank you for all your suggestions, there has been some gold that will make it for a variety of reasons.

If you want to see whether your idea will be etched into TFC folklore you will have to buy the fanzine.

Note: The selection process will continue for a bit, but only a superb idea will make it now.

Thank you for all your suggestions, there has been some gold that will make it for a variety of reasons.

If you want to see whether your idea will be etched into TFC folklore you will have to buy the fanzine.

Note: The selection process will continue for a bit, but only a superb idea will make it now.

Can you not just tell us? Times are hard in the north. Fanzines can't just be bought on a whim you know...

Here is an idea that is viable to the build. I liked the idea of a statue of the boys who formed the club but I think seeing those boys formed the club in Percy House (the Percy family having land in what is now Tottenham) and we were given the most original name; a name that sets us apart from others: Hotspur. So a statue of Henry Percy aka Harry Hotspur with a plaque beneath outlining the story of how in a world of Uniteds, city's and towns we are Hotspur

why is the fucking imgur.com image thing not working? is it something to do with the new format? I am using BBCode (message boards & forums) link, but nothing.

Heres a link: http://www.northumbria.info/Pages/hotspur.html

Last edited:
Beer fountains, craft beers brewed locally-ish, jugglers, an arcade, free wifi, phone charging areas, in game movies (like in flight movies but for shit games like 0-0 with burnley), some of them machines where you put a penny in and turn the handle and out comes a little squashed penny with a picture on it, smoking areas with a view of the pitch (smokings cool kids), leg room for people taller than 6ft and cycle parking.

Thats it, Some of these were genuine. I'm outie.

Back
Top Bottom