Vlad Chiricheș

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

aqmnmdL_460sa.gif

Unfortunately,no stream,no tv for me ,just "i was blind" today for this league cup game, don't see anything,2-2 after 120 minutes ,Tottenham won on penalties shoot-out,i think was fun for the fans on WHL,especially the goal of Kane 2-2...from what i read from the comments on the thread...then penalty shoot-out ,8-7... Chiriches enter in the pitch in the min.68

I like Vlad and his obvious ball-playing ability a lot, but I'm a bit terrified of him against Lukaku, considering how often Lukaku ruins CBs in the air.... will be a massive test for the lad if he starts. :unsure: Still, you can only grow by pushing your limits....

He has been pretty solid with the odd lapse. I'm sure that will be cut out for the most part though. As we don't do left backs, I'd imagine he'll start with daws on Sunday and Vertonghen on the left.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! :D
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

VLAD Țepeș (Vlad The Impaler),prince of Wallachia (Southern Romania today) (1456-1462)

Wallachia was claimed as a part of the Ottoman Empire by Sultan Mehmed II"...at the time...
In 1459, Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II sent envoys to Vlad to urge him to pay a delayed tribute of 10,000 ducats and 500 recruits into the Ottoman forces. Vlad refused, because if he had paid the 'tribute', as the tax was called at the time, it would have meant a public acceptance of Wallachia as part of the Ottoman Empire. Vlad, just like most of his predecessors and successors, had as a primary goal to keep Wallachia as independent as possible. Vlad had the Turkish envoys killed on the pretext that they had refused to raise their "hats" to him, by nailing their turbans to their heads.
Meanwhile, the Sultan received intelligence reports that revealed Vlad's domination of the Danube. He sent the Bey of Nicopolis, Hamza Pasha, to make peace and, if necessary, eliminate Vlad Țepeș.

Vlad Țepeș planned to set an ambush. Hamza Pasha, the Bey of Nicopolis, brought with him 1000 cavalry and when passing through a narrow pass north of Giurgiu, Vlad launched a surprise attack. The Wallachians had the Turks surrounded and defeated. The Turks' plans were thwarted and almost all of them caught and impaled, with Hamza Pasha impaled on the highest stake to show his rank.

In the winter of 1462, Vlad crossed the Danube and devastated the entire Bulgarian land in the area between Serbia and the Black Sea. Disguising himself as a Turkish Sipahi and utilizing the fluent Turkish he had learned as a hostage, he infiltrated and destroyed Ottoman camps. In a letter to Corvinus dated 2 February, he wrote:
I have killed peasants men and women, old and young, who lived at Oblucitza and Novoselo, where the Danube flows into the sea, up to Rahova, which is located near Chilia, from the lower Danube up to such places as Samovit and Ghighen. We killed 23,884 Turks without counting those whom we burned in homes or the Turks whose heads were cut by our soldiers...Thus, your highness, you must know that I have broken the peace with him (Sultan Mehmed II).In response to this, Sultan Mehmed II raised an army of around 60,000 troops and 30,000 irregulars, and in spring of 1462 headed towards Wallachia. Commanding at best only 30,000 to 40,000 men (depending of the source), Vlad was unable to stop the Ottomans from crossing the Danube on June 4, 1462 and entering Wallachia. He constantly organized small attacks and ambushes on the Turks, such as The Night Attack when 15,000 Turks were killed. This infuriated Mehmed II, who then crossed the Danube. With the exception of some Turkish references all the other chronicles at the time that mention the 1462 campaign state that the Sultan was defeated. Apparently, the Turks retreated in such a hurry that by July 11, 1462 the Sultan was already in Adrianopolis.
######
Reputation for cruelty

Even during his lifetime, Vlad Țepeș became famous as a tyrant taking sadistic pleasure in torturing and killing
Impalement was Vlad's preferred method of torture and execution. Several woodcuts from German pamphlets of the late 15th and early 16th centuries show Vlad feasting in a forest of stakes and their grisly burdens outside Brașov, while a nearby executioner cuts apart other victims. It was reported that an invading Ottoman army turned back in fright when it encountered thousands of rotting corpses on the banks of the Danube. It has also been said that in 1462 Mehmed II, the conqueror of Constantinople, a man noted for his own psychological warfare tactics and the impalement of subjugated peoples in the Ottoman Empire, returned to Constantinople after being sickened by the sight of 20,000 impaled corpses outside Vlad's capital of Târgoviște
0s01.jpg

Bram Stoker "Dracula" (1897)
d7cs.jpg

The connection of the name "Dracula" with vampirism was made by Bram Stoker, who probably found the name of his Count Dracula character in William Wilkinson's book, An Account of the Principalities of Wallachia and Moldavia: with various Political Observations Relating to Them. It is known that Stoker made notes about this book. It is also suggested that Stoker may have been made aware of the reputation of Vlad through an acquaintance of his, Hungarian professor Ármin Vámbéry from Budapest. The fact that character Dr. Abraham Van Helsing states in the 1897 novel that the source of his knowledge about Count Dracula is his friend Arminius appears to support this hypothesis, although there is no specific evidence that Stoker and Vambéry ever discussed Wallachian history.
Referring to a letter from his friend Arminius, van Helsing comments:
"He must, indeed, have been that Voivode Dracula who won his name against the Turk, over the great river on the very frontier of Turkey-land." (Chapter 18, pp 145)
4gup.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dan

You know Vlad (the footballer :) better than most.

Do you think him and Dawson could cope with the Everton attack on Sunday - particularly Lukaku

Will he have learnt enough about English football, because this will be a lot fiercer than Villa Park I'm sure.

In the winter of 1462, Vlad crossed the Danube and devastated the entire Bulgarian land in the area between Serbia and the Black Sea. Disguising himself as a Turkish Sipahi and utilizing the fluent Turkish he had learned as a hostage, he infiltrated and destroyed Ottoman camps. In a letter to Corvinus dated 2 February, he wrote:
I have killed peasants men and women, old and young, who lived at Oblucitza and Novoselo, where the Danube flows into the sea, up to Rahova, which is located near Chilia, from the lower Danube up to such places as Samovit and Ghighen. We killed 23,884 Turks without counting those whom we burned in homes or the Turks whose heads were cut by our soldiers...Thus, your highness, you must know that I have broken the peace with him (Sultan Mehmed II).
In response to this, Sultan Mehmed II raised an army of around 60,000 troops and 30,000 irregulars, and in spring of 1462 headed towards Wallachia. Commanding at best only 30,000 to 40,000 men (depending of the source), Vlad was unable to stop the Ottomans from crossing the Danube on June 4, 1462 and entering Wallachia. He constantly organized small attacks and ambushes on the Turks, such as The Night Attack when 15,000 Turks were killed. This infuriated Mehmed II, who then crossed the Danube. With the exception of some Turkish references all the other chronicles at the time that mention the 1462 campaign state that the Sultan was defeated. Apparently, the Turks retreated in such a hurry that by July 11, 1462 the Sultan was already in Adrianopolis.

This is all good stuff, Dan, but you missed out my favourite Vlad Tepeș story - the one where the Ottoman ambassadors refuse to take off their hats, so he has them sent home with the hats nailed to their heads.
Psychotic and ironic.

Hi Dan

You know Vlad (the footballer :) better than most.

Do you think him and Dawson could cope with the Everton attack on Sunday - particularly Lukaku

Will he have learnt enough about English football, because this will be a lot fiercer than Villa Park I'm sure.
if Danny Rose is not ready ,most probable,Vertonghen will play as left back,that mean Walker (RB)-Dawson-Chiriches complete the defence line of 4 players (4-2-3-1 system of playing) ,probable would be great that one of central midfielders (Dembele most probable or Sandro,because Paulinho is more offensive) to help more central defenders if Everton's strikers are threats...like you said
Chiriches always play better in derby games than normal or small games...that was in romanian league last year,we will see what he will do sunday...i hope to play well ,like he does until now...of course,if AVB decide to play with him in defence sunday

Last edited:
Who's Vlad.

Has to be the song right ?

you mean....?
Because he's Vlad, he's Vlad-
Come On
(Vlad Vlad-Really, ReallyVlad)
You Know he's Vlad, he's Vlad-
You Know It
(Vlad Vlad-Really, Really Vlad)
You Know he's Vlad, he's Vlad-
Come On, You Know
(Vlad Vlad-Really, Really Vlad)
And The Whole World Has To
Answer Right Now
Just To Tell You Once Again,
He's Vlad . . .

I thinks we gots ourselves a win-nerrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! :D
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

VLAD Țepeș (Vlad The Impaler),prince of Wallachia (Southern Romania today) (1456-1462)

Wallachia was claimed as a part of the Ottoman Empire by Sultan Mehmed II"...at the time...
In 1459, Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II sent envoys to Vlad to urge him to pay a delayed tribute of 10,000 ducats and 500 recruits into the Ottoman forces. Vlad refused, because if he had paid the 'tribute', as the tax was called at the time, it would have meant a public acceptance of Wallachia as part of the Ottoman Empire. Vlad, just like most of his predecessors and successors, had as a primary goal to keep Wallachia as independent as possible. Vlad had the Turkish envoys killed on the pretext that they had refused to raise their "hats" to him, by nailing their turbans to their heads.
Meanwhile, the Sultan received intelligence reports that revealed Vlad's domination of the Danube. He sent the Bey of Nicopolis, Hamza Pasha, to make peace and, if necessary, eliminate Vlad Țepeș.

Vlad Țepeș planned to set an ambush. Hamza Pasha, the Bey of Nicopolis, brought with him 1000 cavalry and when passing through a narrow pass north of Giurgiu, Vlad launched a surprise attack. The Wallachians had the Turks surrounded and defeated. The Turks' plans were thwarted and almost all of them caught and impaled, with Hamza Pasha impaled on the highest stake to show his rank.

I have killed peasants men and women, old and young, who lived at Oblucitza and Novoselo, where the Danube flows into the sea, up to Rahova, which is located near Chilia, from the lower Danube up to such places as Samovit and Ghighen. We killed 23,884 Turks without counting those whom we burned in homes or the Turks whose heads were cut by our soldiers...Thus, your highness, you must know that I have broken the peace with him (Sultan Mehmed II).
In response to this, Sultan Mehmed II raised an army of around 60,000 troops and 30,000 irregulars, and in spring of 1462 headed towards Wallachia. Commanding at best only 30,000 to 40,000 men (depending of the source), Vlad was unable to stop the Ottomans from crossing the Danube on June 4, 1462 and entering Wallachia. He constantly organized small attacks and ambushes on the Turks, such as The Night Attack when 15,000 Turks were killed. This infuriated Mehmed II, who then crossed the Danube. With the exception of some Turkish references all the other chronicles at the time that mention the 1462 campaign state that the Sultan was defeated. Apparently, the Turks retreated in such a hurry that by July 11, 1462 the Sultan was already in Adrianopolis.
######
Reputation for cruelty

Even during his lifetime, Vlad Țepeș became famous as a tyrant taking sadistic pleasure in torturing and killing
Impalement was Vlad's preferred method of torture and execution. Several woodcuts from German pamphlets of the late 15th and early 16th centuries show Vlad feasting in a forest of stakes and their grisly burdens outside Brașov, while a nearby executioner cuts apart other victims. It was reported that an invading Ottoman army turned back in fright when it encountered thousands of rotting corpses on the banks of the Danube. It has also been said that in 1462 Mehmed II, the conqueror of Constantinople, a man noted for his own psychological warfare tactics and the impalement of subjugated peoples in the Ottoman Empire, returned to Constantinople after being sickened by the sight of 20,000 impaled corpses outside Vlad's capital of Târgoviște
0s01.jpg

Bram Stoker "Dracula" (1897)
d7cs.jpg

The connection of the name "Dracula" with vampirism was made by Bram Stoker, who probably found the name of his Count Dracula character in William Wilkinson's book, An Account of the Principalities of Wallachia and Moldavia: with various Political Observations Relating to Them. It is known that Stoker made notes about this book. It is also suggested that Stoker may have been made aware of the reputation of Vlad through an acquaintance of his, Hungarian professor Ármin Vámbéry from Budapest. The fact that character Dr. Abraham Van Helsing states in the 1897 novel that the source of his knowledge about Count Dracula is his friend Arminius appears to support this hypothesis, although there is no specific evidence that Stoker and Vambéry ever discussed Wallachian history.
Referring to a letter from his friend Arminius, van Helsing comments:
"He must, indeed, have been that Voivode Dracula who won his name against the Turk, over the great river on the very frontier of Turkey-land." (Chapter 18, pp 145)
4gup.jpg

:lamelashock:
FOOKIN' hell!! If only History lessons had been like that in MY day!

Back
Top Bottom