Tottenham,why?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Family on father's side hails from Enfield/Walthamstow area of London (great grandparents owned pubs in the area - dad went to school I'm Chingford), so that whole side of the family is Tottenham so I was born in to it.

Moved to Cornwall when I was 2, growing up with kids who supported Man U and Liverpool so I rather enjoyed being the only Spurs fan - despite how shit we were.

My boy doesn't even know what football is and he's already a Spurs fan - it's in his blood. :)

Born in Highgate, grew up in Finsbury Park. My dad was lifelong Tottenham, surrounded by the Woolwich types at school I chose to follow the old man's team. Not to mention we were the more successful North London side in my youth. Hoddle, Ossie, Perryman....

Committed the Canadian heresy of falling out of love with hockey when I was 15. When it happened Britpop was all the rage, the Premier League had just kicked off, and it was readily available to watch on Saturday mornings. All the other kids in highschool were busy pretending to like Man Utd, those who actually played football plumped for Liverpool. The Italian kids sneered and lectured us on the superiority of Juventus.

"Bollocks to that," my father said. "Your family's from North London, you already have a team, and it's Tottenham Hotspur."

It was unpronounceable for Canadians ("Tot-ten-ham?"), and the team was a train wreck, but at an age when the street cred of not being a follower mattered, Spurs worked. And then few years later David Ginola Cup magic sealed the deal and a bond was forged.

They've been breaking my heart with style ever since.

Last edited:
Had no choice really , My old man got me
Into Spurs, First game was when I was 4 , FC Zimbru in he UEFA Cup couldn't see fuck all in the park lane , he used to take me into the British Queen Pub ( Not for the faint hearted ) , it's been emotional ever since ......

Born in Paddington and lived in and around North London until escaping the smoke back in 2000. Old man wasn't a football fan so left to my own choices.Taken to see QPR when i was six but formed no allegiance, taken with a mate by his Spurs mad dad to the lane when i was seven and that was that. Two grown up sons who have been indoctrinated to the Spurs cause, eldest named after my fav player.

Born in Paddington and lived in and around North London until escaping the smoke back in 2000. Old man wasn't a football fan so left to my own choices.Taken to see QPR when i was six but formed no allegiance, taken with a mate by his Spurs mad dad to the lane when i was seven and that was that. Two grown up sons who have been indoctrinated to the Spurs cause, eldest named after my fav player.

Guessing that's Martin?

Because I thought my Grandad was a Spurs fan. As it turns out he was an Woolwich fan :/

He was of the older generation who used to support both teams. Went to highbury when Woolwich were playing home, went to WHL when Spurs were playing home. Was common through till the 80's when the tribalist shit started. He didn't recognize it.

But he did favor the goons

I live in Australia and as a kid the premier League was hard to catch as paid tv was not like it is now. My uncle had been a Spurs fan for 20 plus years at the time and at school I would have the students that were often Liverpool and united ask what team I supported? I would reply Tottenham! (Not actually watching any games). As I got older I would read my local paper with an eye on Tottenham ' results.
Playing fifa 2010 I found myself always choosing spurs and I relished the fact that my best mate and his brother were scum supporters.
We had that amazing champions League run and I found myself wanting to find other fans. Discovered triple ace bar in Sydney and really loved the vibe, atmosphere and the songs. Got paid TV and found myself waking up 3am to watch games.

Driving to my uncles to watch with him is just awsome. I get a jersey every year and never miss a game! Really love our history. My only regret is being 27, I wish I could say more than 7 years a fan but atleast I now know and I can't wait to one day visit London and see Spurs in the flesh

Why? Because the alternatives are unthinkable.
Quite right. There comes a time in every man's (or woman's) life when they must take a stand and show whether they will stand with the forces of Good, or crumble and be found wanting. Failing the test can truly ruin a man. We can see just how badly every week on Woolwich Fan TV.

Honestly no idea why exactly. Primary school years I lived in Potters Bar and almost everyone one was Spurs, kids at school, their Dads, sweat shop owner, cafe owner, school teachers and the milkman. My parents weren't into football but I was taken to many games each season by a mates Dad's/Uncle's/Grandad's. I had an uncle who lived in Tottenham he also used to take me, so I guess I just fell into it, there was no thought process, no thunderbolt. Can't even remember who we played or what the score was for my first game, but remember everything else about the night, the journey there and back, where we sat, flood lite midweek game.

That's something I notice coming up a fair bit here. How many remember being hooked by a night game? There's clearly something special about the Lane and the team at night.

That's something I notice coming up a fair bit here. How many remember being hooked by a night game? There's clearly something special about the Lane and the team at night.

White Hart Lane definitely works well at night inside and outside the ground, I do prefer it, especially after a hard day at work.

Honestly no idea why exactly. Primary school years I lived in Potters Bar and almost everyone one was Spurs, kids at school, their Dads, sweat shop owner, cafe owner, school teachers and the milkman. My parents weren't into football but I was taken to many games each season by a mates Dad's/Uncle's/Grandad's. I had an uncle who lived in Tottenham he also used to take me, so I guess I just fell into it, there was no thought process, no thunderbolt. Can't even remember who we played or what the score was for my first game, but remember everything else about the night, the journey there and back, where we sat, flood lite midweek game.

It's almost like you live on a different planet to me, although I was born around Tottenham and lived their till 3-4 I spent my childhood in West Ham controlled Barking while much of my family was from Liverpool and I now live in West Ham/Millwall Isle of Dogs.

Never been in any situation a majority, always the odd one or two. Although to be fair there are a few Spurs fan at my current job.

It could be as simple as being aloud to stay up past your bedtime???

My fever pitch levels of excitement though were not until around the age of 12 when I was going to The Lane on a Sat on my own, having told my parents I was going to a mates house. That whole experience of even getting to the ground was an epic mission, by then I was living closer to Tottenham (in Enfield) but that 4 mile cycle might well have been a trip to the moon. My only plan was to hope to spot other Spurs fans on their way to the ground so I could follow them. Once inside, it wasn't until 4 or 5yrs latter that I actually got to see anyone actually kicking a ball, my view was usually narrowed to 5sq meters of pitch through some blokes armpit. lol.

Back
Top Bottom