Tottenham,why?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's almost like you live on a different planet to me, although I was born around Tottenham and lived their till 3-4 I spent my childhood in West Ham controlled Barking while much of my family was from Liverpool and I now live in West Ham/Millwall Isle of Dogs.

Never been in any situation a majority, always the odd one or two. Although to be fair there are a few Spurs fan at my current job.
The picture in my avatar sums it all up for me because I am in that picture with approx 9 may be 15 other people, all mates Dad's from school. The cafe owner at the end of my road is there as too is the milkman and one of my school teachers the lady next door and my cousins. The people who took me that day are actually Chelsea fans!! Their hole family supported Chelsea and had ST's but such was the impact of our two Argentinian's they had to be there for their debut. We left all together in a convoy of cars, all decked out in blue and white ribbons and scarves. Sung all the way down and all the way back. One of the most memorable and fun days of my life, made mostly by having so many of us all going together, "such a perfect day".

The older I have got though the more isolated it has become, with fucking goons infesting everywhere I go/live. Still, I am living in the East End now for nearly 10yrs and have been pleasantly surprised by how many Spurs are here.

Being in the South East, there isn't much to support outside Gillingham or Charlton, so I went with what my mate supports, Spurs.

Been a journey since.

:paulinhowtf:

Unlike most football fans I was never really interested in football as a kid. Nobody in my family watched football except for my brother who is an AC Milan fanboy. I was always interested in other stuff like hiking, skiing and of course loads of video games. The only football I would follow was the EU and World cups where I supported Italy. But all of this changed when I joined my mates BPL fantasy league in 2011 and started watching the games in the weekends. I would sit down and watch every game possible, read articles and look up stats. All of my friends have their teams they support, United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Real etc so the expected outcome would be for me to subconsciously start rooting for one of their teams. After all none of us are born supporters. We are all sort of 'molded' by our surrounding, family, friends, media and slowly fall in love with our team.

But for me the love for SPURS came from somewhere else. I started rooting for SPURS because I liked them as a football team. They where the underdog and the team that the 'big top 4' teams would joke about. I would watch the games with my mates tell them how SPURS are exciting to watch and how much potential some of their players have. Unlike my mates I didn't turn on my TV and EXPECT my 'great' club to win, I would watch SPURS and genuinely root for them to win. I became a supporter by watching them play. By noticing small flashes of brilliance from Modric, VDV, Bale and BAE. I loved the fact that we had shit defense and we would just balls-to-walls attack sometimes. Over the course the season this underdog team became my great love. Every gameweek I watch them play with my SPURS scarf that my brother bought be from a Romanian flee-market for 80p:)

Started watching Tottenham games because of Berbatov and then the club grew on me. I went to my first game in 2013 (Lyon in EL, Bale scored twice on free-kicks) and from there on I was completely hooked

Unlike all my friends I chose football over hockey when I was young. Played at all levels and developed a passion that would only grow stronger for this sport.

I always followed the international competitions and a bit of every leagues from far away. When the Premier League became more mainstream in Canada and regularly available on cable TV, I decided it was time to choose a team. One of the best moment in my life! Doing all the research for a whole year, evaluating a ton of criteria, discovering rivalries, analyzing every teams/players and even getting to know England's geography...

Some of you English lads might not get it but giving allegiance to a new team is a huge decision. One tiny mistake and you're a Newcastle fan for life! (shout out to my dumb friend Max) :dier:

Anyway in the end my decision was pretty easy. Tottenham had a lot of good young promising players, cool kits, were a bit underdogs and seemed promising. Plus Woolwich and Chelsey are kinda popular in Montreal and I hated their stupid fans...

Been a soccer fan for awhile, but never really truly supported anyone. Had teams right away that I knew I wouldn't support like United, Woolwich and Liverpool. I also had teams that I liked because of their players or grew a connection to them after using them in a seasons mode on FIFA. Spurs were never on either of those lists, but when they signed Dempsey and Lloris I started casually following and I got hooked after Spurs won the NLD 2-1.

Started following them even more that season and found some forums with supporters online and I they have been my team ever since.

Still get goosebumps when I see this goal.

The picture in my avatar sums it all up for me because I am in that picture with approx 9 may be 15 other people, all mates Dad's from school. The cafe owner at the end of my road is there as too is the milkman and one of my school teachers the lady next door and my cousins. The people who took me that day are actually Chelsea fans!! Their hole family supported Chelsea and had ST's but such was the impact of our two Argentinian's they had to be there for their debut. We left all together in a convoy of cars, all decked out in blue and white ribbons and scarves. Sung all the way down and all the way back. One of the most memorable and fun days of my life, made mostly by having so many of us all going together, "such a perfect day".

The older I have got though the more isolated it has become, with fucking goons infesting everywhere I go/live. Still, I am living in the East End now for nearly 10yrs and have been pleasantly surprised by how many Spurs are here.
Me and my mate filled bags of torn up newspaper, and we got in with them. We were standing in the park lane.

Edit: thinking about it. If we went to war, er I mean started a war, with them again over the islands would Poch and Lamela have to leave us and would they get booed and vilified everywhere?

Grew up in NW London in a non football family. First memory of Spurs is watching the '81 Cup Final and Replay and was hooked. As no family allegiance, Spurs were the club for me from then on. Could have been worse as my brother and sister ended up supporting West Ham because of school friends.
Always followed the results and watched on TV when I could, mainly FA Cup in those days.
Didn't get to White Hart Lane until I was 15, first game of the season just off the back of Italia 90. We beat Man City 3-1, I think 2 for Linekar, 1 for Gascoigne. Had enough loyalty points on my Junior Spur membership to get to the FA Cup semi final that year for that fabulous Gazza free kick, got home in time to see West Ham lose in the other semi!
Schooll was pretty much Spurs or Woolwich then and we had Gary Mabbutt visit us the following year and felt so proud.
More downs than ups for a long time but the failures make the successes all the sweeter.

Edit: thinking about it. If we went to war, er I mean started a war, with them again over the islands would Poch and Lamela have to leave us and would they get booed and vilified everywhere?

You should check out a fantastic episode of ESPN's 30 for 30 called White, Blue and White. It's all about Ossie and Ricky coming to England and being here when war broke out with Argentina. It's clear they both love the club and love their country.

Its called footballl not soccer:pochserious2:
P.s i love all you fuckers but crazy to see how short some of your affiliations with Tottenham have been, long may it continue.

Was taken to my first match in 1983, against Liverpool.

I was six and didn't even know what football was.

Still remember walking up the steps and getting my first glimpse of the pitch.

Went to see us in the 80's as a kid.

At home. Lost, obviously. To fucking Derby County. 2 goals by Dean fucking Saunders, the sheep-molesting twunt.

The glory of it all.

Been a soccer fan for awhile, but never really truly supported anyone. Had teams right away that I knew I wouldn't support like United, Woolwich and Liverpool. I also had teams that I liked because of their players or grew a connection to them after using them in a seasons mode on FIFA. Spurs were never on either of those lists, but when they signed Dempsey and Lloris I started casually following and I got hooked after Spurs won the NLD 2-1.

Started following them even more that season and found some forums with supporters online and I they have been my team ever since.

Still get goosebumps when I see this goal.

I was there. It was my birthday and blagged a space in my employers exec box. Great day

1990 World Cup. Wanted England to win it. Really loved watching Gazza and Lineker. When I found out who they played for and saw the Tottenham blue and white that was me sold. Then the 91 Semi final cemented everything for me. Also the history of the club ~ amazing.

Because I'm a masochist who loves to be disappointed.
Amen to that!!!!
Think I've mentioned this umpteen timebefore, but I supported Spurs in spite of my dad (Chelsea) and the first time I went to WHL (1969), I just fell in love with the Club and everything that goes with it.

An American Pilgrim in N17

Mumbles and groans in front of the bathroom mirror. “Yep, that’s a grey hair.”

Having just entered the thirty-ninth of my years with something less than grace I stare at my reflection.
Good grief, you only have one grey hair to worry about, wait until you are seeking the solitary black hair!!!!

Amen to that!!!!
Think I've mentioned this umpteen timebefore, but I supported Spurs in spite of my dad (Chelsea) and the first time I went to WHL (1969), I just fell in love with the Club and everything that goes with it.
My first game was Spurs Chelsea in 72. You may be able to help here it was the game Osgood got taken off on a stretcher. That is my one outstanding memory as all were calling him a poof and fairy. Lowe shelf pitch side was the location I thought it was 1969/70 but can't ask my old man. Thinking about it it could have been 72

Back
Top Bottom